AuthorTopic: Sword Slash Combo Animation  (Read 5909 times)

Offline orotoros

• View Profile

Sword Slash Combo Animation

on: October 23, 2014, 03:38:18 am
Working on a sword combo for a character in a game I'm making. Would love some feedback! I'm also trying to figure out a 3rd slash motion for the combo, but I'm not sure what would look most natural. Suggestions?

Please comment on character colors. I'm starting to feel like the pants should be a different color from the shirt, and the cape should maybe be a little less flat?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Sword Slash Combo Animation

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:03:24 pm
I like it!

I recommend ONE shading color for the cape. You're right, it's flat. Although, if the style jives with overall style of the game or whatever this guys is for, it's fine.
The palette is nice - that purple and teal look good.

As for the anim, try some anticipation before the first, or both, sword strikes.
It feels a bit too snappy, and like the sword has no weight to it. He wields it too easily, despite it's size.

Offline orotoros

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 01:45:33 am
Ok so I did a lot more work on the slash animations. Basically I broke the combo down into 2 different slashes in each direction, where the first slash ends where the second starts, and vice-versa. I'm liking where they're at, but I'd love some feedback.

East:

North:

South:

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 01:44:27 pm
They're very simple but everything that IS there, is well done. Considering they're game assets I think that is functionally, perfect =)

I think you should move on to the next thing, if you're planning on keeping this ~minimalistic~ standard, god knows there is enough work to do in just making a game :p

Offline orotoros

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:17:04 pm
god knows there is enough work to do in just making a game :p

Truth! I've got all the basic movement and attack controls in the game now and it's looking pretty good. The run animation looks a bit off when the character is actually moving, but I think I'll fix that later. Now time to start making enemies.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:38:25 pm
Hey man how's this going? I kinda thought I'd see more animations after I said move on...didnt mean to make you stop posting or working on this...was this just an animation test? if I hadnt assumed that wasnt the case I would've given you some crits

Offline orotoros

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:14 pm
Hey man how's this going? I kinda thought I'd see more animations after I said move on...didnt mean to make you stop posting or working on this...was this just an animation test? if I hadnt assumed that wasnt the case I would've given you some crits

Hey so I actually ended up going a different direction with my original game idea so I sort of stopped working on this character (but I learned a ton while animating him). The game I'm working on now is a platformer/fighter instead of a top-down view. Here's my new charachter (he's a bit simpler):

Idle

Walking

Jumping (not animated)

Falling

Sword attack

Air Stab (downward attack while in the air)

Would love some feedback. I feel like the attack animations in particular could use a bit of work. But remember, this is going to be a mario-esque game with fluid real-time controls, so I can't get too crazy with animations.

One thing I want to do next is add a "charged" sword attack animation. I'm not quite sure how to give it the "this attack is charging up" effect though. Would love some ideas if anyone has any.