AuthorTopic: GR#227 - Light Cavalry - Anatomy, Sprite Process Thread  (Read 39830 times)

Offline jtfjtfjtf

• View Profile

Re: Light Cavalry

Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 09:34:42 am
I feel the new pose is awkward because now he's holding the gun over his sloping down shoulder which would be uncomfortable. With the sloping up shoulder the crook between the neck and the shoulder can cradle the gun.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 11:10:09 am
I am also not too happy with the pose from yesterday evening.
If I act in myself, the arm which holds the gun feels to be really stiff in space and if it's straightened that much, the gun needs to be really long that it's in balance.
SO I stretched out the leg and moved the weight ove rthe centrum.

@alcopop
The problem usually is that a lot of dynamism gets lost with correct forms. If you take a photo it's usually also not dynamic, but that's close to the result if you are constructing the correct forms (depending on how exact you do it) If you render out the forms a lot of the dynamism gets also lost.
The quick line art approach works wonderfully for anime stuff, but as soon as it gets rendered with more realism all the broken joints look usually terrible.
I know that there is a lot left I have to fix up with my humans, but as everything it will get better with a lot of practice.

After all I don't like yesterdays pose a lot, even with the changed legs.
It just doesn't feel right for the character, so I went over the rendered pose once more with references.

The pose reminds me of the Doryphoros of Polykeitos with the contrapposto, back leg lifting off the ground, and the piece resting on the shoulder, just with everything flipped. I think if you want more "attitude" with the pose you can try emphasizing the contrapposto, such as dipping his left shoulder more and having the straight leg lock more at the knee. Night's anatomy picture shows a good shoulder dip.

More attitude would b egreat, not to sure how to apply it successfully.
I Looked up that statue, seems to be really close from the overall pose I want to go with, it has this nice about-to quality so I also used that one for reference purposes.
I am still not sure about the shoulder line/shoulders in the last sketch.

old one #2                                                     adjusted weight/legs                                          first pose with proportion changes
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline jtfjtfjtf

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 12:09:52 pm
I did an edit trying to get more attitude. Emphasized the contrapposto-ness for the silhouette with the shoulder line and the side curves. I think if his mouth is exposed a smirk could convey arrogance/haughtiness.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 12:37:25 pm

Circled some stuff from yesterday that didn't quite get across; it's a little difficult to explain what you mean by words alone.
The rear bicep and delt are way lower, and the trap won't be very pronounced.
The oblique/ribcage fold; I tried to explain that it should go should go more like a > shape; or a:
\
 /
in the chat, with the rib-cage protruding more; but yeah..

The lats, and back in general I guess should go more to the right, just looks more correct.
The placement of leg muscle insertions (which I didn't notice in the stream, but I wanted to put notice on it now), shouldn't be as that far out as it is now.
And finally with the front foot, which I had a really hard time to explain. what I meant with the line of separation was to create a separation between the part of the foot that is on the ground and the part that is in air(ankle); it just becomes easier to envision it correct that way.

With the current pose with the proportion changes you've negated the contrapposto by change the legs' role.

Anyway, I hope that my blabbering in the stream yesterday helped you in some way at least; can't say I was too focused, was tired as fuck.

Went ahead and made a fully muscled figure; while in the process I fixed some minor issues that my own edit had.

This should give a better impression for what I had in mind.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:16:45 pm by Night »
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 09:28:20 pm
thakns jtfjtfjtf. GOt what you meant.
Also thanks for your further explanations Night. Might use this pose as base for another character.

current lineart:
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:16 am
currently just wondering if I should make the masks beak golden. might look better.
Also think the arm at the sword became too long in the painting process and needs to be shortened.

pixel version:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:25:57 am by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 05:16:42 am
His left forearm definitely feels longer than his right.
Maybe you can pull the elbow on that left arm forward some to shorten it up.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 04:42:29 pm
some more detail edits.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:44:54 pm by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 06:59:34 pm
You, sir, are unstoppable. Quite a work ethic. If we were to ever work together, I'd have no hope of keeping up with you.

Great stuff.
Wish I was able to submit an edit right now, but can't.

But here's some things:

Right thigh plate mail
Edges of each horizontal metal strips wrapping around leg, going out of our view, seem to violate perspective.
I believe your sketch had it right.

Left shoulder
Seems mushy and formless. Fabric is difficult.
Perhaps less highlight stretching across his deltoid area so there's more distinct planar definition?

Bracers/jacket cuffs
They look under-rendered. Plain, as if unfinished.

Gloves
I don't understand the penguin gloves. Why those? Just curious.

Gun
Aside from melee attacks with his sword, it looks like all this guy can do is fire one single harpoon.
What will this really accomplish on the battle field?

Offline jtfjtfjtf

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 07:40:37 pm
Did you decide to go with the smirk for the final piece?

Gun
Aside from melee attacks with his sword, it looks like all this guy can do is fire one single harpoon.
What will this really accomplish on the battle field?

Goodbye AT-ATs!

I also agree about the left shoulder. The jacket sleeve to shoulder assembly looks like it's tailored out of 1 piece. I think defining the seam line would help.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:46:50 pm by jtfjtfjtf »