AuthorTopic: GR#219 - Steamfantry - Sprite Process  (Read 35848 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Heavy Infantry

Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 09:51:05 pm
I don't know how your workflow goes like, but usually, even if drawn on a sketch I've done irl, I start with a quick, dirty and very general mash of blobs or lines (sort of like what I did in my edit of the leg) and go on from there -- fixing little problems before they escalate into bigger ones and then go into detail; pretty useful for avoiding that feel later on if you haven't tried that yet.

I hate pointing this out because it goes without saying, but it's always good to go from the simple to the complex. Details like all the little lines and indentations could be avoided up until you get the overall feel of the picture.

Also excuse me if I sound like an asshole by any chance, I always feel like I do for some reason after critiquing another's work.  :crazy:

Everything's alright Night, really appreciate our conversation since the last thread. I couldn't wish for more =)

Well I think that drawing the poses with applying perspective with pencil is a lot less forgiving than doing that with pc.
It's just the third sprite and it's quite a complex style, so I already thought a lot about the basic WIP, but I already adjusted a lot due to my experience values.
At the current point I think that the pencil pose drawing is to stiff to apply quick rotation and resizing effects you can apply easily digitally.
The form detailling step and laying in deep space ellipses with pixel art is plainly a pain in the ass. I imagined it would get really worse with this sprite, but it's even a bigger pain in the ass, than I assumed. I guess I will stay with pencil for that step, because that's a lot more effective.

But yeah, now I applied your leg posing and applied it to my perspective grid, I also roughly shaded the planes of the legs (not to much because it would be good to get a second opinion on them)

and I already started with applying grayscale detail for the rest of the sprite.
might need some more cast shadows and some stronger plane seperation, since I don't added there the finals. But I am open for suggestions (added the crow next to it to get a better feeling for the overall light direction)

wip-version

-moved the gun arm inward (shoulder joint)
-fixed width of the gun-arm
-fixed the length and position of the shield arm

unsure about the shield - I use currently pixel perfect lines, don't know if more perspective would be more effective
unsure about readybility of the rear hand
unsure about rear leg (especially about the height of the knee and the rotation of the foot)

light overview:

gif with figure
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 01:01:41 am
grayscale. Next thing will be adding colors.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 02:22:16 am
Really impressive. It doesn't even look like pixel art actually.
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 05:41:50 am
The impressive part for me is the ability for one to tell which parts are metal so easily at a glance. Truly awesome texture.  :y:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 06:43:04 pm
What, really? You pixel in grey, then color later? I . . . don't think I've seen anyone do that unless of course they're just mapping a color ramp over the palette.
How are you going about doing this?
Did you do this with either the earlier done girl or crow?
Very curious. You're one of the faster pixellers I know of so I'd like to know more if you feel like sharing.

___

The impressive part for me is the ability for one to tell which parts are metal so easily at a glance.
But . . . it's all metal.

I'm a little surprised to see reflective chrome-like surfaces on him. They look cool, though.
Polished metal seems a little out of place, to me, because I guess I was assuming this guy to be more of a grungier, industrial type.
But some flashy, showier parts is interesting because it implies these guys have pride in what they do and so they keep their exoskeletons nice looking. Like a soldier that obsessively clean and polishes his gun/gear.

I'm really happy with the pose fix. The leg thing. Much better.

Diggin' those boots, man!

You decreased the diameter of the upper arm pieces. Are you sure there's enough space inside for a man's upper arm?
Even the overlaid figure GIF you made doesn't appear to fit.
Even at a glance, the upper arms' armor seems much too small.
I can only imagine a rather tough looking guy wearing the suit, and therefore I'd expect him to be rather muscular.
I know he'd have the engine-assisted hydraulics and all that, but still.

What would a guy be wearing, inside the suit?
When he takes it off, after battle, what does he have on? Would it be something like a pair of long-johns?

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 07:11:23 pm
Well, it's beautiful.

The angle at which the left (our left) the thigh comes off the knee reads a bit weird to me. And I still think the arm above the elbow joint is too narrow.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 08:11:18 pm
 :y:
------

For the back foot, raise the heel up like you did in the figure sketch, you could do a bit more to show the top plane of the foot instead of the front plane.Also the scale of the back leg might be a little off; it's not far enough back in space to be that much smaller than the front.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 12:56:21 am
Ok, specifically the chrome-y reflective parts XP. Also I don't think he could realistically be wearing anything too thick under without suffering from heatstroke, but he would still need to wear something thick enough so that he doesn't get scraped to death by the suit so maybe we can assume he taped bags of ice to himself.

Offline jtfjtfjtf

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 06:06:31 am
Really great rendering as usual. I do think the weight of the figure is still off. The left leg is occupying space on the same plane as the right side of the body while the left side mass is beyond that. Nothing is supporting the left side of the body. Additionally the big metal shield is pushing the overall center of gravity to the left.

I put your new picture over your perspective guidelines with the "chin" at the vanishing point like your original.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:32:31 am by jtfjtfjtf »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 06:43:40 pm
no stream anymore.
Thanks to cake, ppd, psylent and all others who were there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:50:32 pm by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter