AuthorTopic: Castle Fade: Animation  (Read 15612 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Castle Fade: Animation

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 04:22:58 pm
working on a new run from scratch, much happier with this one; which should be the case seeing as how I basically just copied the movement from frostpumpkin's thread. :x
Could still probably use a bit more oomph

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 12:56:51 pm
Its kinda fast for its size, what if it was more stiff and drag sword across ground slow? ???

I really like the character, it is just when there is a beefed up enemy like this it takes away from stronger enemies and bosses. well, imo at least.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 02:38:05 pm
Oh, I probably wasn't clear on this, but the raven knight actually IS a boss, and Hopefully a rather formidable one at that! I'm taking a lot of inspiration from Artorias for this boss fight and the character's build. I definitely wouldn't have a minor enemy with this sort of power  :blind:

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 04:24:53 pm
The blade's motion looks great so far, except for that stutter on frame 5, maybe the hand should be shifted to the right a pixel or two. Looks nice, can't wait to see with some detail added. Also on frame 5, the further hand's thumb takes up the same spot as the tip of the sword's hilt on frame 4 and mucks up the animation a bit. Maybe move the hand down so there's more "change" there from frame to frame. Keep going!  :y:

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 07:14:39 pm
He definitely looks more powerful, or rather; he looks more BOSS now! Look forward to seeing it w/ detail and cleaned cause the 5th frame looks off around the base of the sword/ and hand (as pointed out by michelcote).

Maybe the head could come forward 1 pixel on every frame, or his back bent forward to go with it, to make him look like he's more pissed; like a charging bull. Though it's probably fine as upright as it is.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 09:13:21 am
Hey guys it's been a while. I brought that raven knight run animation to a finish, but I might do it again later in development as I learn more about animation. I was bad and got my layers and such all muddled up which made me lose the form a bit.

Now, I like to punish myself by undertaking things I'm definitely not capable of:

I would assume that the chains would stagger and delay in motion, with ripple like effects. Is there any better way to go about it other than to just, DO it? It would be great if they could be little separate objects laid on top of the form and given different timings- and me not have to do that manually >.<

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 04:05:44 pm
I think an organized approach would be best. I'd establish the main figure's motions first and animate the chains second. You'll need lots of frames to accommodate both. Otherwise you could use your chain frames to also suggest form (they'd lean diagonally on the legs when pushed aside during a step, perhaps?)
I'd love to provide an edit but I think this is a bit over my skill level. That being said, the design of the thing is great, I love the heads  :y:

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 04:43:19 pm
yeah you could have them as separate objects that react to the motion of the guy, programmed to rotate, squash and whatnot to simulate swinging and drag . thatd save manual pixel work, but it might look better if you do draw them and thatd be a cool learning experience in animation i think!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 08:03:57 pm
For stuff like this, consider Syosa's process.

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/47940.htm

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 01:01:33 am
Doing it in engine or in after effects or flash could give you that control but the setup on that kind of thing (not to mention learning/ figuring out how to do it) is probably going to take longer than just sitting down and doing some grunt work. I would generally avoid it unless you see yourself using the technique for a LOT of animation.

Easy level would be setting up symbols/layers in flash/ae and animating them swinging once then you can just manually type in where you want animation to start and stop and move the symbols around. You can get more complicated with rigging to give it intuitive controls but that is above anything I have experience with and almost certainly not worth the time.

On the run animation I would say the general impression of it is good but there's some stuff in there that's strange, particularly I would point out the front arm jittering at the front of it's swing and the back arm popping back in front of him when his back knee is lifted. I would also watch that head movement, I get more of an impression that he's moving his head from the neck rather than it being the whole body moving up and down, I would expect the sword to more or less be covering the collar all the time since its resting on his shoulder which is moving along with the rest of the upper body.

Loving the designs overall, this skull guy lumbering along is going to be very cool :y: