AuthorTopic: HIKER - Idle Animation - UPDATED  (Read 3064 times)

Offline kittenpolyps

• View Profile

HIKER - Idle Animation - UPDATED

on: August 07, 2014, 07:56:36 pm
Hey everyone! First post and first animation! This seems like a really great and helpful community.
I am working on a game with two friends - a 2D platformer - 'HIKER' and I will be doing all the art.  ( I thought I had left my dreams of animation behind but I guess not hehe)

Here's the first art for our MC - http://puu.sh/aIQEU/f3a3344bf4.png
and after much tweaking and reworking i finally made it to this - http://puu.sh/aIQIg/fbdfab261a.png (also shows dimensions of the game)

this was my first attempt -

and after a lot of editing and suggestions from the writer I had created this little duder -

Suggestions and critique would be much appreciated! Thank you so much! ; v ;

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:39:24 pm by kittenpolyps »

Offline kittenpolyps

• View Profile

Re: HIKER - Idle Animation - UPDATED

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 03:41:25 pm
I noticed some stray pixels this morning so I fixed them and something about the hood has been bothering me so I modified a bit. Not sure how I feel about it...

better or worse? -

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:54:42 pm
Welcome to Pixelation.

I like colors you've chosen for hoodie. Personally I don't think you need those outlines, since this is small sprite ant you can use those pixel for some useful details. First time I've saw this i thought that this is guy in big bear fur. :D After I saw your concepts I think that your sprite needs more refining before you go to animation, and you should pay special attention to lighting and determine position of your primary light source.

Here is my quick interpretation of this. This is simple arcade idle animation, just to give you the idea.

Offline kittenpolyps

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 06:00:01 pm
Welcome to Pixelation.

I don't think you need those outlines, since this is small sprite and you can use those pixel for some useful details...you should pay special attention to lighting and determine position of your primary light source.

Here is my quick interpretation of this. This is simple arcade idle animation, just to give you the idea.

wow thank you!! the light source didn't even cross my mind! I'm not that used to working in pixels. It'll change depending on the are he's on at the time, so i guess I'll have to make multiple.

I have never tried working without an outline since most of my art is pencil based and focuses around linework but I'll give it a shot. We want him to be kinda flat and cartoony, almost Paper Mario-esque.

The hands are a great idea. They'd be way more versatile that way. I can see how they look kinda like bear paws. XD

^ this is the original art I got from the writer (who says he can't draw) if it gives any insight.