AuthorTopic: GR#209 - Larks Sprites - Form, Shading  (Read 32906 times)

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• Hobbist Animator + Apprentice Falconer
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

GR#209 - Larks Sprites - Form, Shading

on: July 19, 2014, 06:23:45 pm
and sort of fails idk.

Anyway, I've been doing some more form tests, and kind of developed another style of shading my pixels. They look more pastel-y than before. I'm not sure if I like them too much now, but I'm sort of trying to refine it a bit and make them look more 3d.

Hey its umbreon again.

Just shading tests and such.

Also, I tried out a bit of dittering. I do like this one.

I also need to do humans. But I get lazy and go back to animals.
Humans will come soon.
I promise.

Offline Snow Fenrir

• View Profile

Re: Lark Tries out form

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 01:24:26 am
Looking a lot better!  ;D

But you need to establish a light source and maybe add some texturization to the wolves' pelts. Check out this sprite from Castlevania:

Lightsource comes clearly from the top left despite of the shaggy fur's depth and coloration!

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:05:49 am
Yeah, texturing is my next step! I'm trying to get the shapes and such down before I start with textures, and hopefully I won't overtexture.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:46:27 pm
texture is just a facet of form  ;)

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 11:36:14 pm
Did a bit of fur texture.

Offline Snow Fenrir

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 01:20:29 am

Did a small edit!  :)

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:50:16 pm
Additional colors like large patches and stripes are secondary and are added only after the flat-color forms are lit. That being said, I recommend you back off of these fancy multicolored furry animals for a while.

You really should work with more simplified forms like a horse or person or something else *not furry* to learn how to light forms. Don't mess with fur/texture until you can get a full-on understanding of how to light things like rocks or faces / muscles first. Once you get past that, then go to something like gravel/sediment/stones, then to bushes and grass, and finally hair and long grass. Then you will be able to work with fur a lot better, but then only dull fur until you get better at things like metal, plastic, etc. since shiny fur is not too incredibly different from other such shiny materials -- it's really just a shiny material with a texture. You won't get good at textured shines like that until you get good at simply-lit forms and materials first. A good example is that Snow Fenrir's creature looks like it has bear fur, which is a great deal more thick, dull, and coarse than shiny wolf fur in each strand. Until you get a sense for how to represent forms, and then all these sorts of textures and materials accurately, I wouldn't suggest adding any stripes/colors/etc. because you will only confuse yourself and run into walls otherwise.

A key thing to remember though is this:

Form and texture happen simultaneously, but are lit differently depending on the material and the texture.

Start with forms, then work your way toward materials and texture simultaneously once you've mastered basic form lighting. With your *first* white wolf above your shading tests, you weren't too far off, but with your others you still have a ways to go. Look at Snow Fenrir's edit of your forms to see the difference in lighting to indicate 3d depth your second white wolf needs and try applying those principles to a horse or something else without fur.

Also, keep in mind, shadows are kind of like pools of water -- they tend to reach out to grab one another like water tends to collect in drops, and, wherever possible, they tend to slide their center-of-mass toward the deepest crevices. This might help you a bit with thinking about form.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:09:26 pm
Sorry about the multicolored furry animals, I opened requests to practice on another site so most are not my characters. (I did close them today, as I want to work on more personal projects that don't involve pixels too, and my afternoons have been very busy lately.)

Anyway, thank you for the pointers. Specifically, what object/creature/subject do you think I should do? Should I just draw a circle and start shading it like clay, rock, metal, etc to practice that, or should I pick a creature?

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 02:29:34 am
That trick with the outline fading to black is a simple yet interesting effect.

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 10:27:51 pm
Last furry thing for a while (I currently have a horse ready to be pixeled), finished the last of my requests.
Better with the light source?