AuthorTopic: [Critique Request] Canine Run Cycle  (Read 3324 times)

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• Hobbist Animator + Apprentice Falconer
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

[Critique Request] Canine Run Cycle

on: July 12, 2014, 02:55:17 pm
Something I did a bit ago, but wanted to post here for a critique request.

I used several video references for it.

So yeah, input?

Offline bigorados

• View Profile

Re: [Critique Request] Canine Run Cycle

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:19:41 am
Wow, the motions looks pretty good for me, i love how smooth is the movment on the legs, i'm not an  "expert" in animal animation but, for a critique, if this is a running animation i would say that the tail could lean more (in a curved way) due to the gravity, and there is a frame where his frontal body suddenly retreat after going a little forward, other than that, a sprite from it would look neat  :)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:25:40 am
Looked pretty good from a quick glance though staring at this. Looking much closer, I found something that the right front paw doesn't seem right with how it's spaced. Other paws I looked at seem fine though

I tracked the location of his right front paw and found that the frames space the locations very unevenly
I can't perfectly trace the path of motion of that paw right because I have poor control of my wacom tablet without SAI's stabilizer, and GIMP is much more handy with analyzing animations since they import them as layers

Spacing like this would make more sense to me:
Though analyzing the positions of other paws, I found that my way of spacing the frame is actually not that accurate to how legs move, if the other paws are better examples

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:28:43 am by Pix3M »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:43:39 pm
Some advice
1. Post smaller images. Posting these huge images hurts others' ability to view and analyze your content. How many of your viewers need to do extra work zooming their browser, etc, just to see it correctly? Website users' tendency to do more work than they need to is very low. Make it convenient. You want to draw people in, not repel them. Trust me on this one.
2. Use frame delays for your GIFs. Your GIF has no frame delays defined. When this is the case, the software displaying the GIF chooses FOR YOU. You don't want that.

But rather than just gripe at you, I resized (and cropped) your image for you:

0.05 second delay per frame

Slower version for easier frame analysis:

0.2 second delay per frame
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:20:56 pm by Mathias »