AuthorTopic: GR#213 - Floating Island  (Read 21398 times)

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

GR#213 - Floating Island

on: July 09, 2014, 09:42:11 pm
Hey there Pixelation, it's been awhile. I've been toiling away at this thing whenever I got some time over from work, sometimes making progress, sometimes feeling stuck.

What I'd especially would like some feedback on is how to tackle the leaves, as I've not really reached a style I'm super pleased about.
Also a bit unsure about the the actual ''orb'', I had some idea about giant earthworm that the birds were chasing, but I don't know!
Would love any crit! thanks a lot ;D

latest version:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:57:14 pm by Reo »

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/45959.htm
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Re: Floating Island

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:06:27 pm
I really miss outline on the right side of the canopy. Also the bird in the middle of the sphere looks extremely odd. As far as I understand that's the thing to change?

As for the orb itself I'd suggest making it more cracked and overgrown maybe. With grass breaking out of it.
Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com

Offline miro42

• View Profile
    • Floydian Theory

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 01:11:32 am
I agree with Phoenix849 on the bird in the sphere.  It looks almost like the rock has a tattoo.  Maybe if the one of the bird's wings was out of the rock a bit to show it isn't a part of it, and/or put the birds' shadows down as well.

My biggest concern is that I would also say the rock is too spherical.  It seems very out of place considering how organic the rest of the picture is.

As far as your leaves, I think they look amazing.  I don't know if you wanted to go into more detail on what you already have on the left side, but I think less is more in this case.  Finish up the right and it'll look even better.  :y:

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:39:20 am
Judging by the look of the other birds, that bird is clearly just a smple outline and not at all finished.

As for the rock, I like it. If you think it needs more detail, maybe some roots hanging out the bottom?

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 06:49:16 pm
This is absolutely beautiful.

I like the roundness of the orb. I will agree the rest of the piece doesn't match it enough, but I would rather you changed the rest of the piece, honestly.
A few more cracks or grass on the orb could be nice, but it is quite amazing already.

Here is what I mean by change the rest of the piece:

I made the clouds seem to circulate around the orb. Same goes for the shape of the tree.
For your leaves I noticed that your grass is pretty sharp, so I made them sharp as well.

Hope that's what you were asking for and that it actually helps you out.
* may contain misinformation

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:18:11 pm
First off Id like to say that this is very impressive work.

Now what I think is lacking..

1. The treetrunk has a light spot on it that is maybe a little too strong looking a bit like a nose. Its drawing undue attention.

2. The background is competing too much with the tree for attention. Tone down the background, maybe make it less saturated.

3. You need some shadows falling from the leaves to the trunk and to the ground or ball.

4. Obviously there should be some blue afterglow effects on the tree trunk and the ball, like there is on the leaves.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:37:31 pm
Damn, I love the colors here.

The background cloud texture and the leaf textures are... kind of really similar. You might want to consider changing the cloud silhouettes to not look so scale-like?

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 06:48:16 pm
The background cloud texture and the leaf textures are... kind of really similar.

Definitely inspired by Super Mario Bros. :D
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 08:36:48 pm
The background cloud texture and the leaf textures are... kind of really similar.

Definitely inspired by Super Mario Bros. :D

They're just missing the little eye-like features -- he's got a left eye started on the tree though. Add that right one in and add some to the clouds, then add in some bushes with the same texture+eyes and you'll be all set.

Maybe some "?" blocks in there too for good measure.

xP

When you're done -- call it "Super Mario Bros. Galaxy".
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline JustinGameDesign

• JustinGameDev
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/46823.htm
    • JustinGameDesign
    • JustinGameDesign
    • View Profile
    • Support Justin Game Design on Patreon

Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 01:58:16 pm
Except for the unfinished birds and clouds this already looks amazing. I would not change the leaves.
Working on Wings of Aetos, a retro-style shooter/platformer in which a bare-chested angel-man makes things explode!

https://twitter.com/JustinGameDev