AuthorTopic: GR#197 - Golden Knight - Shading, Animation  (Read 19255 times)

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Re: How to make gold shine???

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:51 pm
im no expert, but i dont think youd get that full-surface 'flash' effect on a suit of armour, its more for when flat surfaces revolve and face the light source like a mirror or a gold coin. which is probably why your knight looks a bit splatted, youve shaded it for the effect you had in mind, but that doesnt line up with the actual shapes of the knight

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 02:12:21 pm
im no expert, but i dont think youd get that full-surface 'flash' effect on a suit of armour, its more for when flat surfaces revolve and face the light source like a mirror or a gold coin.
This. It's nice on the sword though.
Good improvement!

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 03:22:26 pm
When I see this animation I feel that helmet is like axe head (sharp on the front and wide at the back). This is all because of the lighting. When something is darker eye thinks it's farther away from light source. Vertical yellow line on front of the helm is much brighter than the rest of the helmet in most frames, which make it look sharp. I don't know if anyone else notices this, but it makes helmet looks very flat (in 3d sense).

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 03:14:30 am
Looks a lot better spread over a few frames like that for his sword/upper-body, but the style of flash on his legs and none on his waist really makes it look inconsistent. It'd just about be better off removed if you want to keep it like that on the lower half of his body.

Vertical yellow line on front of the helm is much brighter than the rest of the helmet in most frames, which make it look sharp. I don't know if anyone else notices this, but it makes helmet looks very flat (in 3d sense).

Yeah, I mentioned this in my previous crit, but he said he agrees with the flatness but wants to keep it.

I suppose I've seen some helmets that are fairly sharp-ish on the front, so all I can assume is that's what sort of helmet he's trying to reference.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 07:55:02 am
Peer pressure got to me. And it was for the best, the helmet looks better (I think.. I am getting kind of blind looking at the same thing over and over)

as for the sparkling effect on the legs, I totally agree that was more a test than anything.

Probo and Manupix, if I understand you correctly you think that the "spark" effect makes it look flat. I agree with you to a point but it is more there for the gold material and I do not think it takes away the 3d feeling too much. But maybe I am wrong as I said I have grown blind looking at this walk animation.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:56:59 am by jahasaja »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:00 pm
He's waddling a bit.
Try opposing his arms and legs.
Also go pick up a stick and try walking like that.
It kinda works.
But definitely feels weird.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 01:35:45 am
@jahasaja
Looks much much better dude. :)

Might want to bring out the shine on the legs too at around the same time as the upper-body, but do what PPD says first before you bother with that:

Try opposing his arms and legs.

Heh, I didn't mention that yet because I kinda liked the 'robotic' look to it and I figured somebody else would beat me to it anyway.

I was kinda right... I just didn't expect it to take this long lol xP

With that said, I also sort of assumed it was possessed or magically controlled since he mentioned it was an enemy, and so the walking with stiff legs/back/etc. added to that characterization, which, in such a case, wouldn't look too off -- I wouldn't think even a skilled magician controlling it from afar wouldn't have great/perfect control over human locomotion anyway.

If there's a real human in there, then that movement does look a little wonky -- but I doubt it'd take much more than copy/pasting the upper-body and lower-body on opposite frame-timings since the lower and upper-body look like they were made separately for the most part anyway. Just make a new animation with only the upper body in it and paste the legs where they belong (i.e. on leaning right, left foot back and right foot forward, and vice-versa).
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 07:04:28 am
Thanks for all the help! you guys or girls are amazing.

Yeah you right about the balance. In the version in the game the lower and higher body will be detached so I did not pay much attention to that yet.

Here is a version with the correct feet. (some pixels seems wrong I will fix that)

Yeah he looks kind of possessed. But alas he is not. It will actually be the final enemy in the game. (as soon as I am don with the attack animations I just have to learn how to draw backgrounds  :-[)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:46:44 pm by jahasaja »