AuthorTopic: Feature 01 - Kraken Vs. Vikings  (Read 76024 times)

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile
    • http://vitamintwo.com

Re: Feature 01 - Kraken Vs. Vikings

Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 04:15:21 pm
Lol, didn't see that.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 04:48:56 pm
you can row forwards, at least in a dingy. It think the boat does look like its going backwards  - maybe because of the waves. If the monster had a tentacle wrapped around the boat then it would look like
the boat was being dragged back. IMO it looks better without oars. Wack a sail in.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 06:54:03 pm
its backwards because hes got oars, not a paddle.  oars propell a boat by using the pulling  motion of the arms to move the ends from in front of the oarsman to behind, so hes pushing it backwards.  in a small boat you can move in the same direction you are facing by using a pushing motion, but this is much more difficult especially on a longer boat, which is why the oars are typically faced towards the aft so as to make forward motion easier and therefor capable of being quicker

just thought id put my 2 cents in
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 04:42:41 am
Another update:

Changed the waves along the side of the boat, added more wavy stuff on the water, made another hole for an oar that is floating on the water (which I think looks like crap at the moment, maybe if I mess around with it and add some more floatsam it'll be alright), added more clouds, worked on the tentacles a bit more, added highlight to water, adjusted the left side of kraken's outline.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:52:39 pm by ptoing »

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 05:32:09 pm
The boat isn't drawn in the correct perspective (anymore), and the colors are quite boring. I think your pixeling skills are very good nonetheless, just need to work on the overall feel of the scene.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline jagged software

• View Profile
    • jagged spftware

Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 10:33:05 pm
I like the cartoony style, cure. ;D

edit/add: Unlike the following post I like the new version better :D the only thing I like more about the old version is more sky allows for a better perspective.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 11:21:00 pm by jagged software »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 04:30:07 am
The boat isn't drawn in the correct perspective (anymore), and the colors are quite boring. I think your pixeling skills are very good nonetheless, just need to work on the overall feel of the scene.
well, the boat could simple be rocking towards the side, so it isnt necessarily out of perspective :P

onto the image, I like it, nice octopus, but the water, I liked it better when there were less details in it, when there were just the white lines around the break at the front of the boat, I thought thats how you were going to leave it, because I really liked it >_>
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 03:19:24 pm
I really do apologize for the lack of updates and the fact that this is taking so long
Anyway, here it is at present:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/upload/features/01_cure/kraken04.gif
I like the sunset, but fear it doesn't match the mood of the piece, and may cause problems with the lighting.

And just for fun, mspaint pallete:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:53:35 pm by ptoing »

Offline Oceans Dream

• Sabrina!
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 05:36:03 am
Looks much better now, quite an improvement.

Quote from: Cure
I like the sunset, but fear it doesn't match the mood of the piece, and may cause problems with the lighting.
Yeah, I agree, unless you want to go and change around the lighting, you should probably remove it. I like the stormy skies touch though.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 10:28:08 pm
I suggest making the waves on the horizon and right below it way smaller, for perspective issues. Currently it looks more like there's a hard edge where you can fall off (did the vikings believe in a flat earth? ;) I really like the MSPaint colours ^^
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON