AuthorTopic: Feature 01 - Kraken Vs. Vikings  (Read 76021 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Feature 01 - Kraken Vs. Vikings

Reply #40 on: October 02, 2006, 03:14:03 pm
Very soon, hopefully.  There should be little more work to be done; its finally reaching the point where I'm becoming generally satisfied with it.

Offline Oded

• aka Genius329
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: October 02, 2006, 04:32:42 pm
You should be satisfied with it.

The best thing I like about this is the style. Its cartoony-ness is great. Your scale isn't right, but that makes it all the better. The expression on the vikings face is my favorite, heh.  :lol: The darkness in the water you added is great. My only crit would be is that the edge of the kraken that you added the dark blue to could use some sel-out or somethin to fix it cuz it looks a little messy.

Oh btw, I love the waves  ;D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #42 on: October 02, 2006, 05:05:58 pm

maybe more styledither on the beastie?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:55:09 pm by ptoing »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #43 on: October 02, 2006, 05:47:45 pm
I don't like the highlight across the top, it makes him looks 2D, perhaps move it more into the centre, to make him look shiney/slimey - he is in the water.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #44 on: October 02, 2006, 06:14:28 pm
but he should look a bit 2d!

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: October 02, 2006, 06:16:57 pm
You should be satisfied with it.

The best thing I like about this is the style. Its cartoony-ness is great. Your scale isn't right, but that makes it all the better. The expression on the vikings face is my favorite, heh.  :lol: The darkness in the water you added is great. My only crit would be is that the edge of the kraken that you added the dark blue to could use some sel-out or somethin to fix it cuz it looks a little messy.

Oh btw, I love the waves  ;D

Holy shit, it's Genius329!

Sorry, I was wondering where he had gotten to the other day, and now I know.

/offtopic

Helm, I gotta ask, why is it you come into so many topics and edit the shit out of everyone's work? Like, it looks really good when you do it, but it always seems to move the work way farther away from the original style of the piece, which you probably don't do on purpose, but yeah. Just wondering. It's the one thing that kinda bothers me about your posts. It's fine some of the time, but when it seems like more than half your crits are over the top edits, makes me wish you just spent more of that time making your own pieces, so I can be blown away.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #46 on: October 02, 2006, 06:38:21 pm
How wonderfully passive agressive. Here's a list of probable reasons I edit as much as I do :

Because I don't think anyone else but the original artist knows what 'style' the piece deserves, and therefore he can take or leave an edit like an adult. Because you sometimes can only tell if something is getting better when you can visually juxtapose between one iteration of something and another.Because a lot of critique cannot be conveyed with text only. Because I get a lot better at my own art by editing others, working around in different environments purely on the technical level, learning things I can then apply to my own stuff. Because I am fast and I like to keep fast, and that happens when you sharpen your skill constantly. Because I happen to believe the lack of 'OMG YOU EDITED ME! WTF!!!111' attitude in Pixelation is one of the primary reasons this place works and is so helpful in contrast to most other art fora. Because I went to art school and got over getting edited (real life paper snatching and scribbling on top of that 'awesome piece' I was working on, mind you) real fast, and benefitted very much from it.

As to my own work, I am one of the most consistent pixelly people around, I do lots of work, usually I finish it, I don't copy myself and I am not stuck in a 'style' (that is, one that is not emergent due to the fact that it's all art made by myself). I also have a jobs to do, a life to live and am not around solely to 'blow you away'. I don't post all my shit. You can find more of my art if you look or ask, especially when you don't voice that request like an accusation.

It's the one thing that kinda bothers me about your posts.

I wholeheartedly hope you get over being annoyed at my trying to help people. Good luck.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: October 02, 2006, 07:58:19 pm
How wonderfully passive agressive.

Passive agressive's my middle name baby ::)

Anyways, I didn't intend any of this to come out as an accusation. Secondly, I did not say you were around to "solely" blow me away, consider that statement more like the second part of your post concerning me requesting to see more of your art. Obviously we're all busy with other things in our life and should not be concerned with some virtual social gathering message board. What I assumed would be taken as a compliment has now been taken as an accusation, which is fine, I too will be adult about this and not take some sort of stand, as I have nothing to stand up for here. I'm glad you responded how you did, and allowed me to re-read my own post and make this one to try and ameliorate my statements thusly.

Anyways, I never intended to hoarde this thread with my own musings about Helm :lol:  So I would appreciate it very much Helm if maybe this discussion could be continued in the form of PM's or if you could at least direct me towards some of your more recent art.

To make this less of a takeover, I will try my best to make some more in-depth critiquing of your work:

The dithering used in the sky is kind of obvious, which contradicts with how well you've used it in other places, such as the boat.

The lightning looks really awesome, but the clouds right now look really flat. Maybe you could consider making them look less 2-D, since they're the only thing that are THAT 2-D looking. Perhaps give them a slightly less solid look, so the sky/moonlight can seep through, kind of like how real clouds do sometimes when they're thinner. Either that, or since the water is REALLY rough, consider adding way more clouds and make it look like the storm is all around the scene, right now it kinda looks like it's off in the distance. The stormy weather you're portraying doesn't look like it could generate the kind of waves we're seeing.

Anyways, I think that's about it from me for now, this piece has come a long ass way.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: October 03, 2006, 03:30:21 am
I personally love edits.  They are a visual model of what one would otherwise try to describe using words.  I followed helm's example, but didn't take it to the same extreme.  I also dithered the highlight on the clouds, I'd like to know opinions on whether or not it helps or hurts the piece.  The other side of the boat is now slightly more visible as well.  If anyone has other ideas on how to dither the sky, I'm up for suggestions.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:55:27 pm by ptoing »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #49 on: October 03, 2006, 06:48:47 am
I dont think the sky should be dithered.  It gives unneccessary texture when the shades are too far apart.

Just try and blend the clouds together, to fill the sky, not just 5 clouds floating around.

:)