AuthorTopic: GR#217 - Character - Sprite Process  (Read 25449 times)

Offline Dyluckk

• View Profile

Re: First Pixelation(can I call it that?), [C+C]

Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 06:00:53 pm
You have 27 colors here, which is a lot. Few of those colors you've used only in one pixel. A lot of these colors are too similar and they can't be noticed here. And why did you give up of his breathing mask after only one comment?

Here is 11 colors edit.

Hmm I think he's just too dark in your edit, and I don't want to use the same color for his hair and the armor pieces. I see what you mean by them not being noticed, apparently I'm having an issue with the replace color feature in photoshop because he should only be 20 colors. What tool did you use to see the colors being used? Your edit uses better light source so I'll try and implement it in my next edit.

I just didn't finish the mask because I think I want it to be more of a helmet, just haven't got to it.

Thanks for the feedback I think he is coming along. Considering changing his idle pose, he looks like he is on his tippy toes.

Your first one was faaaar better than your edits. But here is my edit combining your new one and old one into one + more

I'll respectfully have to disagree, the original looks terrible silhouette, color, and definition are non existent.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:10:27 pm by Dyluckk »

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 06:53:37 pm
the silhouette is better and proportions are somewhat more correct than your new one.

Here I made you a simplified version of both. removed unnecessary colors and tweaked them a bit on the old one.
Make the light from the top, keep the new head and arms and you got yourself a better sprite.  :)
Ill make an edit with that in mind for ya

there, a quick edit for you. its simplified by a lot. But its more clear.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:16:26 pm by alex pang »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 08:00:31 pm
As far as Alex's opinion that the first sprite was better, I have to disagree entirely. On the other hand, he was correct about the color count. The more colors you use on a canvas area of this size, the more blurry your image appears and the less clear your forms become, which, arguably, defeats the purpose of using pixel-art to render the piece to begin with.

I'd suggest aiming for about 16 colors (including transparency) for him to read as clearly as possible without strain on the viewer to have to put forth the extra effort to understand what each color means (that means you actually have 15 palette entries to work with color-wise.) Doing this will force you to worry more about function and form instead of just its final design -- which should always come later, once you have rough idea of the dominant features of the character you want to keep no matter what (and what features are leftover to remove, which, incidentally, WILL happen the smaller you get with the canvas area.)

Visual strain on the viewer is something not enough people take into account. If you put too many details scattered all over the place, that will work okay for a still image, but not for an animated character -- your viewers' brains just wont have the time to process it all before the frame changes in, say, a walk animation. Thus is the reason I mentioned that you put your focus into a strong silhouette and a few strong design elements that characterize your subject -- even still images can benefit from these simplifications.

In this particular char, I would suggest emphasizing the 'wings' like in Alex's edit a bit more. It's a cool enogh feature to characterize your guy with it (i.e. I wanna play as the guy in the armor with the wings!")

As a side note, the torso and hips are sectioned off into 4 separate areas (waaay too many for this size of sprite) -- some details need to be omitted or blended into others at this size. The middle sprite in Alex's lineup is a great start to this sort of simplification. The other issue that strikes me is that this is supposed to be a slightly top-down sort of view I'm assuming, so the chin and chest area will slightly overlap things below them. Alex's edit addresses this issue too (perhaps a little too extremely), which makes the tops of the feet look correct (and not like he's standing on his tippy-toes like in your version.)

Hopefully this helps you out. Lots of beginner mistakes here, but none that can't be fixed easily enough. :)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Dyluckk

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 04:46:23 am
Hey Guys,
It's been a while!

I've been experimenting with other styles.
Currently my character looks like this:

a little rough.. He's 24 colors.. I know he should be wayyyy less that's my own critique and what I'm going to fix first.
What else do you guys see that is weird?

Thanks for the replies everybody!!

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 04:57:03 am
Massive improvement. Way to stick with it.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 05:37:21 am
I do agree that it is a massive improvement. I think there are a few issues with readability. I'm not quite sure what is going on with the attire right under the knee. Also I think his left arm is a bit too high up.

Here is my edit with ~ 10 less colors. Good luck!

Offline Dyluckk

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:00 am
I do agree that it is a massive improvement. I think there are a few issues with readability. I'm not quite sure what is going on with the attire right under the knee. Also I think his left arm is a bit too high up.

Here is my edit with ~ 10 less colors. Good luck!

Wow that looks much better.
I thought mine looked a little dull.
Your colors brought it more life.
 ;D

He is supposed to be a little asymmetric if you look at the other models.
I think I might scratch that idea if I animate him though!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:16:22 am by Dyluckk »

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 10:28:05 am
I like where you are taking it!

but... 23(I checked) is way too many colors, definitely.

my edit has only 11 colors. (took away darkest color, merged 2 colors from hair & skin. simplified armor detail to B&W)

I recommend that you stay away from really dark colors w/ black outlines to prevent blur.
also notice after I took away detail I started to add it back in on the shoulders w/ the same colors.

After, I decided to push the color count and made a version with 8 colors(wait, whoa only 8?)

I completely merged the face x hair colors and I think it looks even better than my shiny shoes version(completely on purpose)

In all,
Clarity & Contrast over Color Count (Completely not on purpose... no really)

Offline Dyluckk

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 12:36:19 am
Your forms came out really good in your edit! I implemented some of them! Really good feedback. I'm still trying to work on being minimal with colors, however some of the extra colors are just mistakes because of photoshop. I just changed editors though, hopefully that fixes it.

Here is my most recent edit:

I kept the gold and the dark purple! ( I like how they look  :D )
Changed/eliminated some colors!
Added a sword ( Not 100% sure I like the style of it )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

changed the sword and one pixel that was driving me crazy on the face.

Most Recent:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:00:18 am by Dyluckk »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 07:40:07 am
Nice work so far,

I notice you have a tangent with the sword handle and his leg that at a glance makes it look like the sword is sitting behind his leg.