AuthorTopic: GR#203 - Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites  (Read 69458 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites

Reply #60 on: June 23, 2014, 04:37:49 am
yess =D much better heh, now it looks like you're actually putting yourself into the animations I'm glad  :lol:

been meaning to give you some c&c but kept putting it off, so I thought I'd atleast give you a  :y: for the progress, although I suspect you dont need me to say it since you've clearly reaped the rewards already  :) hope you're having fun with it. making that edit certainly was!

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 05:43:38 am

I had to mess with the individual frame speeds for the running part.  It just felt like it needed to emphasize how fast she was going.

The idea worked visually a bit better in my head, but she's squatting, kicking off to run, stopping and then using the momentum to palm thrust.

Offline AteOneZero

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 05:14:37 pm
The transition from the squatting to the running is a little awkward. I'm thinking you need to make her turn her body to the side as she squats.

For the actual running itself, it seems too fast. If you want to keep this speed, it might be a good idea to push the body and head a little more front so that there's more weight pulling her forward.

I don't understand why the hand punches upwards when she stands.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 04:52:20 am
The transition from the squatting to the running is a little awkward. I'm thinking you need to make her turn her body to the side as she squats.

For the actual running itself, it seems too fast. If you want to keep this speed, it might be a good idea to push the body and head a little more front so that there's more weight pulling her forward.

I don't understand why the hand punches upwards when she stands.

Added a ducking frame, but it still might not be enough.
Moved the head forward a few pixels.
Because that's how I wanted it?  In my head, I saw run, sudden stop, upward thrust attack.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: July 04, 2014, 12:47:54 am
If she's supposed to be using the momentum of her run to jump and thrust upwards, she's losing a lot of that momentum when turning towards the camera. Is the palm thrust supposed to be an attack? Why not a punch?
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: July 04, 2014, 04:06:56 am
If she's supposed to be using the momentum of her run to jump and thrust upwards, she's losing a lot of that momentum when turning towards the camera. Is the palm thrust supposed to be an attack? Why not a punch?

The intention was that she slid to be facing the front, but putting too many sliding frames would take too long.  I suppose that could be fixed if I ever go back to this.
And it's a palm strike because an open hand looks a heck of a lot better than a fist when pointed upwards.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: July 04, 2014, 02:43:06 pm

The intention was that she slid to be facing the front, but putting too many sliding frames would take too long.  I suppose that could be fixed if I ever go back to this.
And it's a palm strike because an open hand looks a heck of a lot better than a fist when pointed upwards.

Due to the directional properties of momentum, she would lose all momentum by stopping to turn. Also, very few people can stop on a dime like that from a full sprint, let alone turn 90 degrees.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: July 08, 2014, 06:10:21 am

Friend asked for a Zelda II redux.

Opinions on the palette?

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #68 on: July 08, 2014, 08:43:04 am
Pretty interesting you're inspired by hyper light drifter, with its high contrast neon palettes when yours are so flat and grey.  When you don't have any shading or outline separating your forms, you might have to push the contrast a bit.  (Yeah, it does look better in motion, especially with the relatively high frame rate but it certainly can't hurt). 

Besides that, the pose looks pretty weird.  His legs look small, his body looks long and leaning back, and he has no neck.  It's pretty confusing to look at - the highest contrast on the sprite is the least important detail.  I would drop that diagonal belt thing all together, but maybe make it 2px wide and dark green otherwise. 
It's also a lot smaller than the original sprite. 

I really love the original artwork for Zelda 2, maybe you can take more from it?

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: July 09, 2014, 02:01:18 am
Pretty interesting you're inspired by hyper light drifter, with its high contrast neon palettes when yours are so flat and grey.  When you don't have any shading or outline separating your forms, you might have to push the contrast a bit.  (Yeah, it does look better in motion, especially with the relatively high frame rate but it certainly can't hurt). 

Besides that, the pose looks pretty weird.  His legs look small, his body looks long and leaning back, and he has no neck.  It's pretty confusing to look at - the highest contrast on the sprite is the least important detail.  I would drop that diagonal belt thing all together, but maybe make it 2px wide and dark green otherwise. 
It's also a lot smaller than the original sprite. 

-Brightened it significantly.
-Added his collar/undershirt to help distinguish a neck.
-Axed the shoulder belt.

The pose is standard for Link.  It's based off Zelda II's sprites, plus his Smash Idle is the exact same except his sword is a bit lower.  One leg facing the screen, other bent forward, and slightly hunched over:  http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:Link_Idle_Pose_Melee.gif
I didn't go in trying to match size; it's a remake.  The heights of all the characters I've made so far are based on the actual Hyper Light Drifter's size to this scale.