AuthorTopic: GR#203 - Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites  (Read 69454 times)

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites

Reply #50 on: May 25, 2014, 10:12:00 pm
Looks a bit better, especially the gym building windows (big improvement there.) Though my original point still stands about the overall "squareness" of the buildings. Either make the middleground buildings have some sense of 3d space by adding in some sense of additional rooms/sections (or give a psuedo-almost-3d perspective on them to give a hit at depth), or at least imply that depth in the skyline.

If you are just totally against any sense of depth in your image/scene/etc., at least vary up the "squareness" of the skyline by adding some futuristic shapes to the buildings or something -- atm there's just too much pure, flat, blocky nothingness there to the point that it sticks out like a sore thumb when compared to the time you spent on the character plane. Even just a little time spent on the skyline will help this loads.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #51 on: May 25, 2014, 10:25:46 pm
You should make your buildings wider, especially gym, and maybe add another gray plane between front ground and black background. Now everything looks very flat and just cut/paste placed (there's no cohesiveness). Also thing that torture me the most is gym windows. Why characters in the gym aren't in proportion with the rest of the character, and why is basketball court so short? If you want to say that's because building is far away, you should emulate that by moving it behind something and by darkening the colors. If you succeed to achieve depth this will look much better. And you should change colors of fruit stand they are too distracting for a background.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 07:45:02 pm
You probably want a lot more background layers than that if you want to give the impression of a true city. Take advantage of the flat colors and make it sillouethe-ish http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/332228-future-wars-adventures-in-time-amiga-screenshot-this-whole.png maybe like this Future Wars city from Delphine software except not ruined?

Also. Samurai Jack. DeadLeaves. Panty Stocking This flat-style is pretty popular in imaishi backgrounds, and they gravitate to futuristic cities. You could also go neon lines styled and do something Tron-like

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: May 27, 2014, 02:17:30 am

Could probably do with a bit more lights, but I didn't want to overdo it, and yes, I wanted it completely 2D/flat.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: June 10, 2014, 12:13:42 am

I was sooooooooooo close to completely losing 80% of my progress on this.

It stutters a bit which could probably be improved, but definitely more action shots. 

It goes Summon Magic, magic scythe prep, jump slash, jump off ceiling/air, and then land.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #55 on: June 10, 2014, 02:19:45 am
Solid improvement over your previous animations.

Two things -- I don't get a sense of a scythe slicing due to the T shaped nature of the slash, nor do I get a sense of 'kicking-off' of anything in the air as you mentioned you were going for since there's no delay on the squash/stretch portion of that to dissipate the energy a little before he comes back downward.

To fix the former, I suggest making the rear portion of the 'slash' more like a squared blur (think back to your dude with the electric-hand attack -- kinda like the way you turned his body into lines, but putting those on the back portion of the blade as it swings -- the front of the slash looks fine though as-is.)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: June 12, 2014, 03:36:32 am
why do they all have white hair?

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: June 12, 2014, 05:14:17 am
why do they all have white hair?

Short answer, I'm weird like that.

Long answer, each of them are the protagonists of seven different personal series.  After designing the third one, I noticed that, by coincidence, the three all had white hair.  I went with it.  That's also the reason why they're all have blue in their color scheme as well.  In my mind it's like some sort of cosmic link between them, signifying that they are the hero.  Other characters, like the one down below are the side characters and can be whatever color, but the protagonists can easily be picked out.

Edit:

Also messed with this.  Removed the stutter, made him move upward like an actual jump, and added an extra frame to the air step.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:39:01 am by Rosier »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: June 23, 2014, 03:18:31 am

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Takamaru

Originally, I wanted the old sprites from this character's original game to transition to the new one I made, but that was before I knew it was literally two frames.  So I just made a couple different versions.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #59 on: June 23, 2014, 04:21:09 am
You're starting to get it man :)

That jump anim has beautiful timing, tight clusters, pretty decent keyframes. Good job!