AuthorTopic: GR#203 - Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites  (Read 69439 times)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites

Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 12:54:53 pm
Hey Rosier

I'm not sure if you intend this to be a game character or not. If it's supposed to be, I think they main issue with the animations is that it starts off in a very stiff pose. It would be very weird if you ran around and than suddenly stopped to an halt to do the motion in your animation. I would try to put a bit more power into it with more anticipation.

I'm definatly not an expert in animation but I would do something like this instead:

More movement could possibly be done but I have little time, someone here could probably make this a little more interesting! I've also changed a few of the features and since you're going
for a HLD style I would make the colours stand out more as individual spots. Right now it's a little to dark and messy.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:05:48 pm by coffee »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 02:37:34 pm
@coffee
Been watching this thread a while now and I must say that your edit of the animation in the prior OP update was exactly what I was thinking. For any really strong attack, the attacker would put his entire body into it, thus there would be a lot of anticipation to the animation, and the visual energy buildup really does the trick there, not to mention you improved the sprite's readability and visual appeal with more follow-through on the cape. Nice job. :)

I did want to mention to the OP (and anyone else interested) that this kind of anticipation doesn't necessarily need a visual representation of the energy buildup as long as the limb charging up the energy moves slightly away (in the opposite direction) from the intended direction of movement before actually moving there. That particular trick is the major key in the buildup of that 'pop' of energy you see in a lot of anime attacks.

Although the key to lively animation is significant 'change' from frame to frame, powerful sudden directional movement mandates this opposing movement to build up (anticipate) the energy required to execute the action.

Someone like PPD, who is known for his very effective animations, has this sense of anticipation down to a science (among the other basic animation things, such as spacing, overlapping action, follow-through, etc., which increase the believability, readability, and dynamism of his animations -- and at a resolution this small, all you really have is effective animation to get your point across!)
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 01:10:50 am
Hey Rosier

I'm not sure if you intend this to be a game character or not. If it's supposed to be, I think they main issue with the animations is that it starts off in a very stiff pose. It would be very weird if you ran around and than suddenly stopped to an halt to do the motion in your animation. I would try to put a bit more power into it with more anticipation.

I'm definatly not an expert in animation but I would do something like this instead:

More movement could possibly be done but I have little time, someone here could probably make this a little more interesting! I've also changed a few of the features and since you're going
for a HLD style I would make the colours stand out more as individual spots. Right now it's a little to dark and messy.

Good luck!

Well that looks really fricking sick...

I'm not really making game animations so much as just animations.  I'm mimicking HLD pretty thoroughly though, so that's the reason that he starts in a bland pose.  Looking at yours I can see where a few things can be changed. 
As for colors, I have zero talent other than washed out.  You mind if I touch on your palette?

@astral
Can you elaborate on the limb moving in the opposite direction, or link some of PPD's animations? 

Should I make the arm arch back a bit before the move forward?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 02:20:45 am
force flows through whole body in power attacks.
pulling left arm back rotates shoulders and propels right arm with more force.
you can find pixelpiledrivers profile on the forum then click Posts to peruse his content.
go right through it I'm sure u won't be disappointed.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 02:44:19 am
yours:

mine:

I duplicated frame 11 and tweaked it to show you what I'm referring to about adding power to your animation. Note how on frame 11 it moves up+back into the distance before going forward with the beginnings of the strike motion (in your original, there was simply a straight-forward lunge with zero anticipation there.) Other than that 1 additional frame I added, the only other tweak I made was on frame 14 to make the hand movement/spacing correct with the anticipation frame I added.

As far as Pixel Pile Driver's stuff, I learned animation way back on the old pixelation (RIP the Bruce Lee banner. ;P) before I knew of him, so I don't have any links to his work, though it shouldn't be too hard to find. He's got a little website with a lot of animation tutorials. Just google him.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:53:43 am by astraldata »
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 03:56:44 am
yours:

mine:

I duplicated frame 11 and tweaked it to show you what I'm referring to about adding power to your animation. Note how on frame 11 it moves up+back into the distance before going forward with the beginnings of the strike motion (in your original, there was simply a straight-forward lunge with zero anticipation there.) Other than that 1 additional frame I added, the only other tweak I made was on frame 14 to make the hand movement/spacing correct with the anticipation frame I added.

As far as Pixel Pile Driver's stuff, I learned animation way back on the old pixelation (RIP the Bruce Lee banner. ;P) before I knew of him, so I don't have any links to his work, though it shouldn't be too hard to find. He's got a little website with a lot of animation tutorials. Just google him.

Okay, that's what I thought you meant.  Just needed some confirmation.

Also, I am pretty new to this forum.  I don't know acronyms like PPD quite yet.  I'll look at some of his stuff when I get the chance.

Edit:

Made his arm arch back right before going forward, added some more advanced effects because the ones on coffee's looked nice and simplified the design a bit/colorized it.  I didn't use the torso thing because it just made him look like a section of his spine shifted a bit to the left.

The next animation will probably include a lot more individualized frames and more movement altogether.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:04:21 am by Rosier »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 07:35:43 pm
As for colors, I have zero talent other than washed out.  You mind if I touch on your palette?

I see you went ahead, but yeah that's absolutely no problem : P

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 12:55:45 am

I see you went ahead, but yeah that's absolutely no problem : P

...Whoops...
Sorry bout that. 

Anyway, it definitely looks better after that.

Offline Pyrovisionary

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 07:23:46 pm
I cannot think of much criticism, but I will say that I absolutely love the palette and style. Also, maybe those blue pixels on his feet aren't very necessary? I dunno but they just don't look right to me.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 11:35:44 pm
I cannot think of much criticism, but I will say that I absolutely love the palette and style. Also, maybe those blue pixels on his feet aren't very necessary? I dunno but they just don't look right to me.

They're supposed to be boots that allow him to move faster, but looking back at it, they didn't turn out how I wanted.