AuthorTopic: GR#203 - Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites  (Read 69442 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

GR#203 - Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprites

on: April 12, 2014, 12:37:14 am

Some characters from my own things that I turned into Drifters.  In order, it's Cole, Reiciel, Maki, Clarke (female and male), Jaunt, King and Roman.

Roman doing some attacks.  First is a Electric Palm Strike, second is laser knife, last is totally a sword swing and not a frisbee.

An enemy design.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:41:29 am by Rosier »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Hyper Light Drifter Inspired Sprite

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 05:47:07 pm
dude, few colors isnt it. HLD has practically no shading. think only in solid colors, like not more than one per limb

Their taurus guy sort of looks like yours but if you want to get the style dont go for the least HLD characteristic character first. Go for someone like the drifter, someone flat and with no shading, focus on diferentiating the limbs by putting differently colored details on the guy

plus your guy kinda looks like a buffed up fireman(from megaman). why are you doing superhero underpants in HLD?. try something with glyphs on it, cloaks or medieval armor

focus on getting an intresting sillouethe first and foremost. drawing only in one color with no outlines for starters will help
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:50:33 pm by Conceit »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 08:49:17 pm

I mainly used the shading from this guy, who has two shades of muscle definition.  Smaller characters like the Drifter and the Schlaepfer Knight have one shade.  I'll try out making a Drifter style character and keep the one shade in mind.

I assure you, it's not based on Fireman. 
The underpants are intended to be armor, same with the arms, legs and helmet.  It could do with being more HLD inspired, though, if I didn't get the point across.

I'll rework some stuff and then get started on a Drifter.  Your help is appreciated.

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:26:35 am
Good start and the helmet design is really neat, but maybe try for a more complex pose? You are also pillowing your shading a little bit by outlining the arms and the helmet. The HLD art style has the light source hitting very directly with no buffer shades. You shouldn't bother with internal AAing or anything because HLDs style is accentuate the pixel and focus on dynamic shapes, block shading and bright harmonious colors.  There is actually very little traditional pixel tech going into it, which part of what makes the style so fresh and engaging.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:17:03 am

The three Drifters are hood and full gas mask, mouthpiece gas mask and goggles and then scarf.

I removed the extraneous machines from it's back and gave it fur stuff to make it more like a race or something along those lines.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:49:30 pm
Much better. :) By removing "extraneous machines from it's back" you increase readability, and black was good choice to balance all that red. There are still some problems with his feet, they don't have good shape, and you should remove those black pixels near his thumbs.

Offline DrKucho

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 10:16:45 pm
loving these kind of sprites, so stylish , good job on the mimic,  in my opinion one very important thing is you have to do a lot of frames,   fluid animation on these sprites makes the real deal

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:12:12 am
As an alternative to HDMD's suggestion (sorry bro, your screen name is too damn long) how about making the area next to the monster's hands a different colour, so the blue from the hands doesn't crash with the blue or red from the legs? Would give better readability.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:51:45 am
i think u have too many bright red detail points for a sprite this size which flatten him out.
also notice in ur reference image the use of heavier contrast on focal points such as hair and helmet (in that order to my eyes)?
then u have things like the gun tip (I think) carefully using a bright colour that can be easily read without looking directly at it.

i think ur guy could benefit from bull legs like this guy http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo259/relativity11/new-demon-turkeyd.jpg

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 06:16:05 am

A Light, Medium and Heavy Attack.  All are obviously derived from the Heavy, but I changed some minor things like leg placement and the Light being an electric palm strike.

And messed with this guy's legs and wrappings.  Longer legs definitely suit him more.