AuthorTopic: Stance animation  (Read 9666 times)

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Stance animation

on: March 10, 2014, 10:35:35 am
Note: this is not my OC (Original Character); this character concept belongs to Sasuderuto/Fernando208. I just animated the stance. The first frame is made by him, the other two frames were made by me, to make the animation.

Is it ok?

Before animating bigger stuff, I want to practice on this one.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Stance animation

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:53:20 am
Well, you purposefully didn't leave the hair completely static, and to me it looks a bit worse than if you had. :crazy:
If you're going to have the hair move, then maybe don't have it change THAT much. (although maybe we can attribute that to shonen-style exaggeration :P)
Right now, the changes in the hair are messy, and the mass of the hair visibly changes (take for example the first upward spike of hair, or the inside lines just below.

The right leg (his left) is obviously bulkier than the left one (his right). I would make the left one fatter :)

Maybe it would look better if his head went down slightly at the same time as it goes forward, and go up again when going backwards... (Although, maybe the change wouldn't be subtle enough in this resolution.)

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:39:09 pm
Well, you purposefully didn't leave the hair completely static, ...
It's true.
...and to me it looks a bit worse than if you had. :crazy:
If you're going to have the hair move, then maybe don't have it change THAT much. (although maybe we can attribute that to shonen-style exaggeration :P)
I wanted to animate everything, but in this resolution it's quite difficult.
Right now, the changes in the hair are messy, and the mass of the hair visibly changes (take for example the first upward spike of hair...
First from left?
or the inside lines just below.
I see. I guess I can leave them static.
The right leg (his left) is obviously bulkier than the left one (his right). I would make the left one fatter :)
I don't know if this error from the concept is intended (one leg fatter than the other), but I'll obviously tweak it a bit.
Maybe it would look better if his head went down slightly at the same time as it goes forward, and go up again when going backwards... (Although, maybe the change wouldn't be subtle enough in this resolution.)
I actually didn't think of that, but at this scale... in any case I'll try.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:30:10 am by Alex Sinigaglia »

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 03:47:11 pm
I made some edits and fixes:

I hope I covered all the feedback.

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:45:50 am
The guy I helped is happy and I'm happy too! I did a good thing! :)

Now I'm trying to animate this:

The first frame is made by Chamat ( http://chamat.deviantart.com/ ), I made the second (unfinished) frame.

How many frames shall I make to animate this?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:56:36 am
Make the keyframes first, then decide how many tween frames you want. Probably 3 keyframes in a ABCBA pattern will work, but for a slight improvement, 4 keys (ABCDA) would work even better.

For a sprite of that size I think anything over 8 frames might be overkill, depending on how much you move him, so maybe 4 frames and 4 tweens (assuming this is an idle stance).

In terms of movement, if all frames are equal play length, I'd personally go with 6: 4 keys in ABCDA pattern, with a tween frame before the first and third key, so: AB*CD*. That makes it so the character slows down near the start and end of the animation (ease in-out).

You make me want to redo my old fighter sprite :) (http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/31687.htm)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:58:07 am by Gil »

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:22:56 pm
Yes, it's an idle stance and I think I'll go with 6 frames (4 key frames and 2 in between). Thank you.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 05:03:26 pm
Small correction on a mistake I made, AB*CD* is not "ease in-out", it's "ease in", because you are easing into the first and third keyframe.

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 08:06:00 pm
Second frame is done! This is my first time spriting in this style.

Do you think I should move the head a little in the right?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 08:47:25 pm
try not to do straight ahead animation (that means just drawing one frame after the other) specially with stances, go and do all the key poses of the animations in outlines only so that you know what poses he will go trough (probably look at dudley's sf3 keyframes in this case?) I say specially in stances because otherwise you'll just end up with a guy wobbling around instead of going trough stances that make sense and a lot of stuff will just shift back and forth for no reason whatsoever. for example why does his thumb go in by a pixel in the second frame? no need

Also, with this being KOF style make sure you refference the way their folds change as they move, this is a big part of what makes it stand out

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 06:13:38 pm
Necrobump! ;D

It's me again!

I tried a different approach, but there are a lot of errors like the right knee (artist's left).

Offline Maka

• makapixel
    • makapixel
    • View Profile
    • MakaPixel

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 12:46:59 am
All I'll say is you definitely don't have to redraw simple stuff like knee movement. Don't work too hard and try and work smarter. I feel this really applies to pixel animation since we can get away with so much rotation, and pixel shifting and then going into clean up. However I do think it's great practice to redraw it. Personally I redraw my frames when it calls for big movements and I rotate and pixel shift when it's small movements.

With that said what you have so far is pretty good. It's just cleaning it up is going to be a nightmare.

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:01 am
I forgot to post the update: :yell:

Gloves and shoes finished, next thing I have to colour is the pants (or jeans or trousers, or whatever you want to call them).

I agree, cleaning everything is hard, but recently I thought of doing one piece of the sprites at a time: I worked on the gloves and the shoes, I will colour the pants on all sprites, then I'll proceed to the arms, then his shirt, after that the head, all to keep some consistency.

:crazy: I'm not smart.

Joking, but yes, like you said later, I think it's better to redraw everything, so I train more in spriting. The knee movement might be exaggerated, so that will be one of the first things I'll fix.
Thanks for the comment. :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:55:18 am by Alex Sinigaglia »

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 02:23:23 pm
Have another one instead. :P

Roll (Megaman) MvC. Base sprite made by Karasai/MegamanRockX2.

Now I'll finish the Dudley stand.

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 11:11:14 pm
It was a while, huh?

I updated Dudley:

Also I fixed Roll's stand animation:

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 02:59:32 pm
I forgot to post these here.

I finally finished this!

Also another one:

Shun from SFA: The Animated Movie. With blue hair because of colour separation.

Also, I'm sorry that every time I post in this topic it's an almost necrobump or a real one. But I have to update you guys. :)