AuthorTopic: GR#170 - X-Men Clone Wars Mockup - Sideview Gameart, Animation  (Read 15694 times)

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile
Hi guys, I'm busy with this mockup, it's from the genesis game: X-men 2: Clone Wars. I intend to add two characters to the scene as well as one or two enemy sprites.

Animation best viewed in Firefox (don't know about google chrome but internet explorer is crap)
I'ts just a mockup for fun before anyone asks  ;D

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: X-Men Clone Wars Mockup [C+C] (animation)

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:21 pm
Amazing job, and good details as always. :y: I can't wait to see character sprites. :D

In my opinion you should use the same effect (gradient pixels instead of ditering or vice versa) for rotation lights and Sentinel eyes, cause this way this way they look like they don't belong to same style.

I love scanning animation on monitor and reflection on turned off monitors.

Shadows on Sentinels collar are very strange for me, cause I can't determine position of light sources that create those shadows.

In background you should keep metal construction, but instead of doors and black walls you should add another plane and give the scene more depth.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:22:55 am
Looks ace! but howja mean 'from the genesis game' are some elements taken directly or remade, what are we critiquing?

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:48:09 am
@Facet: It's sort of a nostalgic remake, here are a few screenshots from the actual game:

I tried to keep a similar look to the original, but added and altered a lot of aspects, the screens, crane, concrete blocks and lights in the trusses were'nt there in the original for instance

@Harvey, the collar is a pain, will have to try something else there, will try putting something else in the far background and see how it looks, thanks for the crits  :y:

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:34:23 pm
oh yeah it's really amazing. I really like colors and shading.

Maybe the behind should be darker ?

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 04:56:50 pm
@Harvey: I tried your idea to add more depth, but it makes the scene too busy imo, fixed the gradients though, that helped a lot thanks

@Kriss: Made the background a little darker, think it looks a lot better thanks

I also reshaded the sentinel and am now mostly happy with it

Update:

Also, first sprite: Wolverine. Would like some critique on the stance, I currently have two options but am open to entirely new stances if someone has a better idea

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:42:51 pm
Fantastic stuff. I can't comment on the accuracy of your sentinel shading, all I know is that it looks very, very pretty.

In regards to the stance, however, I have a few thoughts:

- The lower stance looks very unnatural, because he has a very wide base, yet his legs are relatively straight, so while at a glance he looks ready to pounce, it actually just looks very awkward at closer inspection. Even with superhero powers, I'd expect him to bend his knees slightly before lunging forwards.

- The upper stance looks more realistic, because it looks like a normal wrestling stance (google it and you'll see what I mean). Maybe that was already your inspiration. It makes sense, because a lot of wrestling styles feature explosive leaps forward, so they're stood very low, almost like a sprinter.

- While the lower stance is less realistic, it's ten times cooler than the more realistic wrestling stance. It looks more dynamic, more badass. Especially because of the arms. Maybe you could do something interesting with the arms, while still having his rear foot ready to push him forward, in a realistic fashion.

I'm probably going to totally eradicate any sort of credibility in this post by doing these crappy edits, but here's... some crappy edits. But even disregarding any of my ideas, I still think the knee of his rear leg needs to be pointing forward to make any kind of explosive forward movement more realistic.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 05:53:06 pm
Shading on sentinel is now much better.  :) I have a problem with sentinels face, cause it looks to plain compared to dynamic lights and shadows on his body. Maybe you should try to redesign his face a bit to make it more badass and give it more dimension. ;)

About Wolverine stance the lower one is better (better than original), but one of his legs should be bended because of the balance. IMO in this case front (his left) leg should be bended. This way his weight is on his front leg, and that enables him to charge forward, when user press "->" button. Also his boots in this version are to deep, way above his knee, which makes his legs look very strange.

About Wolverine portrait, it looks a bit like Nite Owl from Watchman. I know this is not the same costume, but maybe try to achieve something like this.

I think that you should make some animation out of this, like short gameplay.  ;D

Offline Motrox

• g
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 01:38:27 pm
Really cool stuff  :y:

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 02:19:59 pm
I'm probably going to totally eradicate any sort of credibility in this post by doing these crappy edits, but here's... some crappy edits.

This made my day  ;D. But don't worry I understand and you've made some good points, thanks  :y:

Made some changes to the legs:

@Harvey: I also made some changes to the portrait, I don't like how wolverine is drawn in that ref, his mask's pointy bits are a little too short for my taste. But you where right about it looking like nite owl so I added a bulge where his eyebrows are, and it seems to work. Your crit about the boots were spot on, they are way too high, also I really hate them because they obscure the bend at the knee  >:(

Also made some changes to the sentinel's face (kinda forgot about it to be honest):

@Motrox: Thanks

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 11:34:12 pm
Sentinels head is better now. You have some flickering pixels on left side of his mouth, that flicker along with lights, I don't suppose that this was left on purpose. Also do you need those low lights (near the ground) on every pillar. Maybe they would have more impact if they aren't so symmetrically positioned. Try to skip some of them.

About Wolverine portrait, I said that it's not the same costume, and I gave you the reference to suggest his facial expression not entire look. Maybe you can make couple profiles, depending on his health level. I know it's not very original idea, but it could be very interesting detail.

I like new stance, next time you should post it along with background, and it would be interesting to see still animation for it.  :)

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 04:57:59 pm
i'm thinking you should ake the mouth'sentinel smaller, like this :

Your version is open even under eyes, but it's just feeling ^^

Eyes could be smaller (and light too)

Btw great job !

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:29:37 pm

Here's a quick and dirty edit to show how I think Wolverine's pose can be improved.
Hope it helps.