AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1350514 times)

Offline Yokai90

• I come here sometimes for advice & Eggs
    • boogie45
    • View Profile

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #2590 on: September 14, 2016, 01:32:55 am
Been super busy with school and all..
so I had some time to post some pictures and such-

trying to practice lips right now as I want to be able to draw them with those wrinkles that lips have.

sketches also of designs for characters. (Mystery Skulls of course.)

Oh yeah! I've also been reading Nicolades The natural way to draw! I really need to catch back up on my studies from that book :)
I do have some sketches from some of the exercises you guys have done-

really cool im not the only one studying this book as well!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:13:05 am by Yokai90 »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #2591 on: September 14, 2016, 05:53:41 am
@0xDB: could you spoiler at least the description of the exercise? I suspect I'm not meant to be reading that yet, interesting as it sounds. I'll be doing the same once I get to 2A and onwards.
(I really appreciate that Nicolaides is a thoughtful teacher here, and understands that frontloading on information can have a stifling effect.
That said, I did skip to the last page and then rewind til I found the final schedule, just so I could figure out how many 3-hour sets there were in total. I found the answer acceptable)

Gesture gets me absurdly pumped up physically (I think I got maybe 2-3 hours of sleep last night, but I feel totally fine, fantastic even.. it's quite bizarre.). The 'really feel the action' part of it is like.. theatre, without worrying about an audience. Each drawing is like a little sprint.

(sorry, no pics yet. I do have more, but the logistics of photographing meters and meters of drawings requires some thought.. I'm thinking maybe a wire-mesh bedframe plus excessive amounts of clothes pegs. Or I could just hang them on the clothesline, which would be vaguely surreal.)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #2592 on: September 14, 2016, 02:59:01 pm

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #2593 on: September 14, 2016, 03:53:14 pm

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2594 on: September 14, 2016, 04:53:23 pm

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2595 on: September 15, 2016, 01:23:57 pm
kasumi: Are you numbering all of your sketches?? That's intense also why am I just now noticing. Cool stuff.
OxDB: Interesting silhouettes, I need to check out that book. It's funny, because a lot of that stuff doesn't seem natural to me. But perhaps it's because I've already been " trained" quite a bit.
Wolf: Keep killing. Inspiring to see you keep up with dailies.

Figures from New Masters Academy. 5-7 min each.

Construction skulls. Boxed ones from life.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #2596 on: September 15, 2016, 04:31:26 pm
@Ryumaru: Hehe, thanks I intend to  ;D

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #2597 on: September 15, 2016, 05:20:23 pm
@Ryumaru: (potential book spoiler)
I'm still unsure whether I'm doing the "weight" exercise correctly (which is what results in those "silhouettes"... actually pretty sure if they look like silhouettes only then I'm doing the exercise wrong).

The mind is having a hard time resisting an urge to model/construct volumes or to shade and thinking light/shadow as usual  according to what I "know"(I have to actively force myself to not draw upon previous experience when doing the exercises in the book, none have been about creating something that accurately represents the observed thing so far as a picture but about capturing other aspects of the things/figures). Also still jumping between thinking "tension" and "weight", so the results are a bit inconsistent... which is ok though, if there's one thing I've learned from that book so far, it is that the results of all of these studies are not important (even meant to be thrown away afterwards). The important thing about these studies are the thoughts and insights that come to mind while doing the exercises, all aiming towards building a kind of understanding that goes beyond looking at the mere appearance of a thing, to develop an understanding that includes feeling the things, perhaps even being the things.

Not sure if someone with your level of draftsmanship could get anything from the book though, you already seem to have it all "figured"(pun totally intended) out. And yeah "natural"... the results certainly don't look natural but I feel like after only two weeks with the book, I'm already starting to get a glimpse of where Nicolaides is going with this.

Very different than any other instructional book I've read before. I'm thinking the "natural" aims at the process to go through, the things to do to gain an understanding which is deeper than memorizing some facts. Also think that everyone has their own nature and what feels natural to Nicolaides, does not necessarily have to feel natural for anyone else... BUT... book says he worked successfully as a teacher using these methods for 15 years, so... it might not be a total waste of time.

Too bad he's not alive, so questions to clarify intent behind certain exercises can't be asked, nor can one find confirmation about doing them "right" but here also, I feel by the way he writes that he's the kind of guy who puts more importance into students making their own observations and feeling their way through it than into spoonfeeding them information and demanding them to memorize it.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #2598 on: September 16, 2016, 12:40:20 am
@0xDB: I think you actually did describe why it is 'natural':
"to develop an understanding that includes feeling the things, perhaps even being the things. "

i.e. it is about understanding and sympathizing with things (==grasping their nature), rather than replicating their surface appearance.

The other sense of 'natural' (feels comfortable) I think is generally overrated, especially in the context of learning -- comfort mostly comes from familiarity IME.

I'm keeping up with Nicolaides, though I still don't have much time to photograph the results. Latest contour:

Pretty happy with the sensitivity of the bushes. Overall I'd like to work on completeness of the plane (that is, trace contours out to the edge of the picture plane / paper promptly, so the overall layout of the space is complete before detailing sub-spaces.)

Also I do a lot of labels, so a little compilation of recent ones:
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2599 on: September 16, 2016, 11:30:32 am
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 02:50:23 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1