AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1350747 times)

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #1020 on: January 13, 2015, 09:19:38 am
For me just closing and reopening GG makes the windows dockable.

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #1021 on: January 13, 2015, 10:03:52 am
On a side note, because I know a few people who weren't aware of this: make sure to check up regularly on GraphicGales updates, there's a new version every couple months. It's not much / doesn't "change" the software, but bug fixing and/or new features is always welcome.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #1022 on: January 13, 2015, 10:24:37 pm
There was a joke among artists, I heard, that "You're not a real artist if you don't draw naked fat ladies!"

And so... here's my shot at it [NSFW]

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #1023 on: January 14, 2015, 02:57:55 am
first studies of January 2015:
ranging from 3-20 '

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #1024 on: January 14, 2015, 05:22:24 am
Seeing that ^ just makes me realize how much more I should be doing to improve as an artist.

How were you able to get all those angles? Did you happen to have an actual skull around that you used for reference, or some website/program? (3D Model?)

They all look pretty solid to me as well, except the bottom middle one which is hard to read.

Offline Cream

• View Profile

Reply #1025 on: January 16, 2015, 06:01:35 pm
Seeing that ^ just makes me realize how much more I should be doing to improve as an artist.

This.

Offline DatMuffinMan

• ebogely
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/42966.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1026 on: January 16, 2015, 08:10:05 pm
Indirectly inspired by Cyangmou's 'real-life' studies. Also by boring teachers.

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #1027 on: January 17, 2015, 09:57:32 pm

Ugh, I'm so busy with work, freelance stuff and preparing to move out that I have no time to post here... so have some animations for one of the freelance project I'm working on :(

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile

Reply #1028 on: January 18, 2015, 01:36:04 am

Ugh, I'm so busy with work, freelance stuff and preparing to move out that I have no time to post here... so have some animations for one of the freelance project I'm working on :(

You are doing great stuff with the eyes and facial expression that really add to the animations.

Idle: A very slow and minor rustle to the cape might add a bit of movement to the rest of the sprite.

Crouch/Grab: Looks good. I will note that in other previews I have seen, that the pull animation that I suppose follows this I am not a fan off. Bending all the way over to pull is just physical very difficult and doesn't provide good leverage, and the animation look awkward.

Run: Animates well and I like the movement of the cape, hair, and glasses. She just don't look to be going very fast and is kind of skipping rather than running. If it is just a walk animation then it will probably work fine.

Roll: So if this is actually two animations, one for face planting (tripping) and the other for getting up after being knocked on her back, then they look great. If it is supposed to be a full roll animations, then it looks really awkward. She needs to be tucking her head in and scrunching into a ball if she wants to roll.

Jump: Amazing, spot on. Excellent use of stretching in your animation with the cape. Also nice details like the cape fluttering and her squinting one eye as if she is moving quickly. It adds a lot to the animation.

Attack Fall: From her stance and facial expression I'm guessing she is supposed to be holding a weapon as she is falling to attack. Looks good.

Fall: So you utilized the stretch well, but you need to use a bit more squash to really sell this animation. Often the stretching and squashing exaggerates proportions briefly, but instead you have this awesome cape to take advantage of. The cape should flair out more at the peak of her jump, but even more so when she lands she should crouch a little more and flair out the cape a good bit. I think you could do this without adding extending the animation so you still maintain really responsive controls.

Bow: I really like this animation. The bow pops in rather abruptly and could use an extra frame of reveal. This would slow down the attack animation a bit, but maybe that would actually be desirable from a gameplay perspective.

Not Featured:
Rope Climbing: I know Mega Man has established the tradition of looking at your character from the back while climbing, but I think with a rope Crown might look cool facing forward as she climbs up. Might be worth experimenting with.

Push: It might just be a wip animation in Zack's previews, but I feel like Crown needs to be leaning into the object a bit more. Again there needs to be some squash, and probably some stretch would help the pull animation.

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #1029 on: January 18, 2015, 11:42:18 pm
Alright, I'm pretty sure at this point it would be a good idea to create a thread for posting the stuff I do, get feedbacks and hopefully improve the general quality of the game.
I'll have to discuss this with Zack I guess, but in the meantime:

- Idle; I'm actually going to make a bunch more idle animations, some of which will include a rustle to the cape. I want them to be rotated randomly. so it's not just "eyh I stopped so of course my cloak is gloating in the air".

- Pull (not shown above): Yeaaah I think I'm gonna go back to this one later, hopefully near the end of the project, but I wanted to make it look like she's having a hard time. Pulling a big block without any handle isn't easy anyway, so I kinda like the idea, but the actual execution of that animation isn't the best.

- Run: That's actually a fast walk, yeah, I'm gonna work on a running animation where she's leaning forward later on.

- Roll: The one show above is a single animation. I'm not too fond of it because... well, as you said she's not "ball-y" enough.

- Attack fall: It's actually a wall slide. :)

- Bow: Right; but that's actually a gameplay problem; for now we want that as soon the player press the key, the arrow is shot, so we can't have pre-shot frames. (actually, I do have some, but I'm not gonna use them) Technically it's even worst than what you see above, the first frame of the actual animation is the one where the arrow is already shot. We're considering having a charged shot as well, and if we do so I'll add more pre-shot frames.

- Rope climbing: That's... an interesting idea, actually. The fact that she's showing her back is because the animation share a lot of stuff with the ladder climbing animation... so yeah I just went with a classic look. Technically if the rope physic wasn't so touchy programming wise, I'd use something like that because it's way cooler:

- Push: You're right, now that I look at it again, a good squash when she push toward the block would look great. Thanks. <3

Anyway, this is getting kinda lenghtly, I'll see if I can create a thread to discuss this further.
Thanks for the feedbacks anyway <3