AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1365898 times)

Offline DatMuffinMan

• ebogely
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/42966.htm
    • View Profile

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #1010 on: January 10, 2015, 02:44:37 pm
based off of a photo by HONY

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #1011 on: January 11, 2015, 07:57:16 am
Quick and dirty silhouette animation to avoid doing actual work.

Pix3M: It looks like he's just striking a pose before he attacks. Considering the type of rpg it looks like I think that's fine,
It's like an indicator that the char does before each attack to let you know which party members' turn is up.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #1012 on: January 12, 2015, 04:57:31 am
@PsylentKnight your animations are so fluid! Really cool style you've got going there. He does look pretty pissed haha.

Thanks. :)

@yaomon: I'm really like your BOI remakes... my gf got me that game for me for Christmas, and while I really enjoy it I'm very unimpressed by the graphics. They're very flat and I especially hate the thick black outlines. Your remakes are a vast improvement.

Today I remade Mother from my game... she was the first character I made and I've improved so much since.

Before:

After:

She will eventually grow into the form that she takes in the original version as she become more powerful/pregnant.

Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1013 on: January 12, 2015, 10:11:15 am
NowvaB:
Really dig that.  :)

A couple imaginary people with ref and then a photo study of an old dude with a cool face.
About half way thru drawing it NaCl told me it was Winston Churchill.  :o

Lots of observational warping.
Maybe next time I'll use a grid to help improve placement and proportion.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:10:42 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #1014 on: January 12, 2015, 02:39:51 pm
@PsylentKnight  For me first version looks much better then second one. It looks more like boss, like bubble will burst in any second and creepy spiders legs will show up. Second one is just unappealing, at first sight you can't even determine what it is.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #1015 on: January 13, 2015, 12:43:51 am
@HarveyDent

Yea I agree, while its much closer to the style of the rest of the characters and its generally better quality, its just not arranged that well and the pose doesn't convey what I want to at all. She's supposed look old and tired. As for her looking like a boss: as I noted in my post, she will look more like a boss as her egg sac grows and her body is dwarfed in comparison to it.

Funny that you say you can't tell what the new version is at first glance... people said that about the original when I posted it on reddit and I thought I did better on that this time.

EDIT: Ok I think this is a vast improvement

As an aside, does anyone know how to return the tools in Graphics Gale back to their default position? I let my niece scribble  on it and she got everything mixed up lol. I guess if all else fails I can reinstall but I rather not since I have a lot of custom key bindings. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:10:09 am by PsylentKnight »
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #1016 on: January 13, 2015, 01:01:28 am
@PsylentKnight Maybe first was a bit clearer at first sight because of the animation. I definitely think that because this is important part of your game, design needs to be clear and effective. I still don't know what this mother should be, spider or something else? This is Daily sketch tread so I think we shouldn't spam it. Try again to make it work and post design in your development or new Pixel art tread.  :)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1017 on: January 13, 2015, 01:32:52 am
This is Daily sketch tread so I think we shouldn't spam it.
You are free to discuss whatever here.
Spam away.  :)

does anyone know how to return the tools in Graphics Gale back to their default position?
I don't.
Looked around in the help file and menus and couldn't find a way to do it. :blind:

This isn't really a solution but:
I highly recommend using the spacebar popup menu.
Just delete all the shit that you don't use much and then add tools and actions that you use frequently.

The default looks like this:

Currently I have mine like this:

Every once in a while I add or remove things.

There's a guide on my blog about setting it up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:34:24 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #1018 on: January 13, 2015, 06:33:20 am
Thanks for the help PPD... I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. It wasn't really the tool icons, it was that the different windows containing the layers and frames and such were all over the place. Some of them I could drag and drop back into place and some of them I couldn't, most importantly the view window. I have no idea what the hell she did to it lol. So I just reinstalled, wasn't a huge deal.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #1019 on: January 13, 2015, 07:59:27 am
As an aside, does anyone know how to return the tools in Graphics Gale back to their default position? I let my niece scribble  on it and she got everything mixed up lol. I guess if all else fails I can reinstall but I rather not since I have a lot of custom key bindings.