AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1360912 times)

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #570 on: July 01, 2014, 12:44:32 pm
@ryu:

I love that frazetta painting so much man, you're doing great!

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• Hobbist Animator + Apprentice Falconer
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #571 on: July 01, 2014, 01:41:48 pm
Okay I did this yesterday but whatever.

Annoying watermarks because people have been reposting my work without permission on other sites and not giving credit, sorry.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #572 on: July 01, 2014, 08:00:52 pm
going back to females
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #573 on: July 01, 2014, 08:29:33 pm
Ryumaru, that is really impressive!
How exactly do you do a "master study"? Say if I wanted to study the work of a specific artist because I like his technique or his colours (or some such). How would I go about doing a study without just blatantly copying what they do?

For example this guy from DeviantArt: Cushart. I love the colours he uses and the way he shades his pieces. I'd love to some how transfer that into my pixel art, but I have never even done art and I haven't the foggiest idea how or why his artwork looks like that. I also do not nearly have enough talent to mimic it, but I would really like to get to that point.
Other than the obvious point of practicing a lot and reading every tutorial ever, do you have any tips on how I might be able to recognise the facets of art that I like and why I like them, and then ideally how I could transfer that to my own work? I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could shove any stepping stones my way.

Cyangmou, you have made some really massive improvements in such a little time, I am utterly in awe. And so dedicated it is inspirational.

This thread is actually full of really good art.

Not to be off topic, I'll post what I was working on today:

I realise it is but a tiny sprite, but I've been trying to come up with a style for your average top-down RPG and creating assets that match one another (in colour, composition and viewing angle), but it is quite challenging. This piece is clearly not 100% completed, but it is in the general direction I would like to go.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #574 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:27 am
How exactly do you do a "master study"? Say if I wanted to study the work of a specific artist because I like his technique or his colours (or some such). How would I go about doing a study without just blatantly copying what they do?

As far as I know, a master study is not different then just copying a given style someone painted in order to learn about how that certain person solved problems, simplified, used composition, color etc. The copying of the image isn't really the point if you are drawing, because you are rather trying to understand the underlying ideas.
However to understand the underlying ideas of a master or in general to understand what someone did, you need solid practical knowledge of art basics, to be able to see what's exactly going on in the masters painting.
The drawing/painting part is just for yourself to effectively check if you understood what you saw or to practice it with reference.

There is no right or wrong way to do a master study, it depends just on you want to learn. You literally could just roughly capture the shapes with crude blocks of carefully chosen colors, if you are interested in the color schemes. If you are interested in anatomical simplification you rather draw the figures carefully and if you are interested in something else you do that.

As far as I know there is no way to get better than the obvious way and working on your weak spots.
If you know some of your weak spots, you can effectively remove them one by one through aimed practice.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #575 on: July 02, 2014, 01:12:43 am
Mr. Fahrenheit: Thanks!

Ryumaru, that is really impressive!

For example this guy from DeviantArt: Cushart. I love the colours he uses and the way he shades his pieces. I'd love to some how transfer that into my pixel art, but I have never even done art and I haven't the foggiest idea how or why his artwork looks like that. I also do not nearly have enough talent to mimic it, but I would really like to get to that point.
Other than the obvious point of practicing a lot and reading every tutorial ever, do you have any tips on how I might be able to recognise the facets of art that I like and why I like them, and then ideally how I could transfer that to my own work? I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could shove any stepping stones my way.

The point IS to blatantly copy. The truest form of a master study is to do something at the same scale, with the same medium, and same technique as your chosen artist. Do not paint a Rembrandt, but BE Rembrandt. Of course, this is extremely difficult to do but is the highest form of master study. You then take what you absorbed by channeling that artist and bring it to your own work. You can also do master studies for a number of other reasons, such as learning their composition, color, treatment of values/ edges. You can do a master study in a medium you don't know to get the hang of it, or one you do know to excel in it.

The artist you posted is pretty advanced, and is doing some complex things, perhaps some that he's not even entirely conscious of. If you haven't taken your drawing to a decent level where you could feasibly copy his work, that would be the first step. Then you would want to analyze his color use, and do a copy of one of your favorites. Perhaps even 2 or more. As far as recognizing what you like about a work, know that in painting, this is what everything is composed of:

- Drawing
- Value
- Color
- Edges

Learn about these fundamental elements and how to separate them ( for example, all color has value, but sometimes you may not care for an artist's use of color, but the underlying values may be applied in a striking manner). This will help you identify what you like most about the artist and from there you can learn how to apply it.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #576 on: July 02, 2014, 01:29:37 am

Do not paint a Rembrandt, but BE Rembrandt. Of course, this is extremely difficult to do but is the highest form of master study.

Offtopic:
just curious how you want to be someone you never met and you just know pictures of. Work of that person(s workshop, or work labeled as their work) made for clients and not even the complete Opus is at your fingertips due to time and a lot of pieces got lost (at least if it comes to "old" masters)
At the end trying to be someone else just will always end up with yourself imagining something, at least as far as I understand.
YOu yourself Imagining and acting like some idealized/idolized view of someone.
is acting in in someone you don't know and you won't ever met and you don't have valid information about his personality truly the highest form of the master study?
I think it's possible to reproduce style and even to reproduce someones ideas to a certain degree. I don't think you will ever be able to really "be" someone. You just don't share the exact view of world and experiences as this person and you might miss key experiences which were important for the artist - conscious or inconscious.

Maybe I just misunderstood or misinterpreted what you wrote, but I am curious what's the big idea behind this. I know some actors actin gin certain characters, but that sounds to me like a completely a different story.
Quite late... uhm early here.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:37:54 am by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #577 on: July 02, 2014, 02:09:05 am

Do not paint a Rembrandt, but BE Rembrandt. Of course, this is extremely difficult to do but is the highest form of master study.

Offtopic:
just curious how you want to be someone you never met and you just know pictures of. Work of that person(s workshop, or work labeled as their work) made for clients and not even the complete Opus is at your fingertips due to time and a lot of pieces got lost (at least if it comes to "old" masters)
At the end trying to be someone else just will always end up with yourself imagining something, at least as far as I understand.
YOu yourself Imagining and acting like some idealized/idolized view of someone.
is acting in in someone you don't know and you won't ever met and you don't have valid information about his personality truly the highest form of the master study?
I think it's possible to reproduce style and even to reproduce someones ideas to a certain degree. I don't think you will ever be able to really "be" someone. You just don't share the exact view of world and experiences as this person and you might miss key experiences which were important for the artist - conscious or inconscious.

Maybe I just misunderstood or misinterpreted what you wrote, but I am curious what's the big idea behind this. I know some actors actin gin certain characters, but that sounds to me like a completely a different story.
Quite late... uhm early here.

My verbiage was hyperbolic.

By " very difficult" I really meant impossible. Sometimes however, even if the goal is impossible, it is still the clearest aim. Depending on the artist, we can know what time they lived, what was going on around them, and perhaps get a sense of their personality and world view by letters they write and work they create.

But I didn't mean to that extent. More so, become the artist in the moment of your painting. For example, many artists seek the " secrets" of the old masters, yet they don't use flake white, make their own pigments, or paint exclusively by daylight. Of course, the more experienced someone is, the closer they can get to the essentials of a certain artist's work, despite not following things such as these. These are things that may seem trivial at first, but when they compound on each other they grow into a direction that differs greatly from the path of someone who makes no attempt to " become the artist". One could copy a painting by John Singer Sargent using glazing and multiple layers, making their brushstrokes invisible, taking reference from a digital image etc, but that is sub-optimal. If an artist uses loaded brushstrokes with a flat brush, standing an arms length away from the painting, it's in your best interest to do the same.

I merely meant "be the artist" in a technical, and to some extent, environment, manner (tools, process when known, color palette etc).

However, Master studies have many uses beyond this and this is definitely not the only way to do one- but I do think it is the most sincere way, and most useful in absorbing all qualities of an artist's work at once. If I have video tutorial confirmation that one artist uses painter, it's stupid of me to do a study from them in photoshop if some of the qualities I am after in their work may be due to the painter workflow. If I am after just color, just value, or just drawing however, I can really use any tool or medium to replicate those aspects in a more segmented way.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #578 on: July 02, 2014, 10:54:04 am
thanks for the in-depth explanation.

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #579 on: July 02, 2014, 12:17:12 pm
Looks a bit like Jack Black.
Discord: Ennea#9999