AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1350367 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #100 on: February 11, 2014, 09:30:34 pm

@Lijj: Batou is another canditate, although he differs a lot in the basic construction

I'd refer this archetype of face as "warrior/king" face. All of those are quite square shaped, have small eyes and a huge nose and a broad mouth. On top of that all the characters have a beard or a fur - which refers to their physical power.
Batou is similar, but since his basic face proportion isn't square shaped, but a rectangular, he reads much less brutish, but much more intelligent. He also lacks the fur, but that could also be because Ghost in the Shell is sci-fi - he has his detective coat.
In general I'd say the bigger the distance of the eyes, the smaller the eyes and the bigger the nose gets, the more brutish and lion-like the character feels. The mouth is always very broad.
Those proportions work very well with characters who have a very straight thinking process, a moderate intelligence and a really strong physical appearance.

Still, I don't have any frontal/sideview style guidelines for exactly measuring out the exact differences. The Drawings are really small too.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #101 on: February 11, 2014, 10:38:09 pm

skull in profile. my sketching looks very rushed when i compare it to people on here!! maybe i should slow down

Hmmm.... a caucasoid skull.... While we're on the topic of skull construction... I'm in the mood to ramble...

I started learning this through Andrew Loomis, but first thing I notice when looking at Andrew Loomis' advice on skulls was the implicit racism. It was advised to draw ideally-beautiful faces to make illustrations that 'sell', and his faces were very clearly 'white', and so were their skulls. I grew up around a rather colorful variety of people of different racial backgrounds, and the implicit racism from a book written so long ago sticks out a bit.

If it helps, you could pay closer attention to the variety of skull shapes, and they can be classically divided into three major types: The Caucasoid skull in Europeans, North Africans, and those from the Middle-east and the Indian subcontinent. Negroid skulls from sub-saharan Africa, and the Mongoloid skulls from Central and East Asia, and the Americas.

Careful of these rigid archetypes though... East Africans tend to have more Caucasoid-like facial features than Africans from other regions (prob because of interracial relationships with the Middle East), and from personal observations as a Chinese American, the Japanese have sharper faces, and those from Southeast Asia can have longer jaws when what I normally see from people of my racial background. Some googling also tells me of three additional subcategories of Caucasoid skulls, but they are not things I could know in-person as White Americans have all integrated into one white race. I'd imagine that somebody from Europe may have a sharper eye for racial differences as people are varied enough to not be integrated into one race and ethnicity.

(This is dangerous research though, I've bump into a lot of questionably 'scientific' racism along the way as I start looking this up.)

I've seen many drawings of people of very ambiguous racial backgrounds though I can imagine it may matter for different artists more than others.  The things I wish to one day do in the future though, this would matter quite a bit.

While I'm looking at how Japanese anime's get the construction of African skulls absurdly wrong, hey.... I think if I wanna be looking at how a cartoon stylization of African faces are to be done, the Boondocks, I find, is a very convincing example.

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #102 on: February 11, 2014, 11:20:34 pm
Cyangmou:
Ah yes the lion/ warrior / king archetype of a man.. interesting diagram and solid stuctures.
Those facial features and build are seen in an endless amount of cartoons, comics and games.
That's cool that  you drew Batou as an example! :p.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #103 on: February 12, 2014, 06:19:59 am
Today, I have a few white things:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:28:20 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #104 on: February 12, 2014, 07:19:54 am

I'd imagine that somebody from Europe may have a sharper eye for racial differences as people are varied enough to not be integrated into one race and ethnicity.

Europe is very mixed indeed, there may be higher amounts of certain features in certain countries here, but youll find them everywhere after thousands of years of conquest and immigration.

@Ai

are you australian then? :D

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #105 on: February 12, 2014, 07:27:03 am
@Ai

are you australian then? :D
Good guess.
I confess that I looked at it afterwards and thought .. "that doesn't look much like a pelican". Nice to see it has some resemblance.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #106 on: February 12, 2014, 07:32:29 am
it was actually that you called the car a 'ute', which i remember from my neighbours-watching days. :D

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #107 on: February 12, 2014, 01:14:59 pm
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #108 on: February 12, 2014, 10:18:54 pm

I'd imagine that somebody from Europe may have a sharper eye for racial differences as people are varied enough to not be integrated into one race and ethnicity.

Europe is very mixed indeed, there may be higher amounts of certain features in certain countries here, but youll find them everywhere after thousands of years of conquest and immigration.

Everywhere? Hmm. There are noses I've seen on Japanese people, but never on Chinese people.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #109 on: February 12, 2014, 11:32:17 pm
Wanted to draw Prussian helmets, sketched then Otto von Bismarck. Not really a portrait, more of a simple thumb.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter