AuthorTopic: GR#163 - Problems with space in RPG view  (Read 5733 times)

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

GR#163 - Problems with space in RPG view

on: January 30, 2014, 11:23:07 am

Now the head of Boss merges with floor and it is not clear - how high this head relative to the floor. I tried to add a shadow:

But it's not solve the problem and complicated perception of the image, saturated with many details.
Any ideas to solve this problem?

Also, color of this character doesn't fit well with the level:

I tried a few variants:

And they are all terrible   :(
Anyway, which of the four do you like more?

If a anybody have good idea for colors of this character, please tell me. Or make edit!  ;D

Here is character and level:

PS: Sorry for my bad english  :blind:

Offline Coltrane

• View Profile

Re: Problems with perception of level space.

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:40:54 pm
Here's a quick and unfinished edit of the level with the bouncing monster. I like the colors of the monster so i didn't change them but i tweaked a bit the level palette and changed some tiles. Hope you'll like it.

Offline HezaKey

• *draws furiously*
    • hezakey
    • hezakey
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:09:52 am

Brightened up all the colors on the top plane, and darkened the side planes in a couple of places.

In the original version, the top of the robot was just blending into that blue strip too well.  I kind of created the opposite problem, with a slight blending of the grey into the grey tiles, but I still think this is more readable without adding any more colors to the mix.

There was also an interesting effect making the tiles dark grey, but I'm not sure if that would have fit in with whatever is planned for other parts of the level.

On the bouncing monster, How bout orange instead of pink? 

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 02:55:42 am
perhaps try making the lines dividing the floor tiles lighter so that the floor is lower contrast, while the boss remains higher contrast?

everything looks really awesome so far though.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:31:25 am
Looks cool, the chunky boss in particular. I think his 'arms' aren't very clear though; it's hard to tell what kind of form those are and how they overlap the lip of the walkway, more contrast front to top surface is what I'd do and tile/sprite differentiation is always useful.

Reading the title and skimming I actually thought the flying saucer dude was the one with more spacial weirdness; it looks like it's angled up from the floor (can flying saucers do wheelies?) All the squares on the floor say no foreshortening while the ellipse on the saucer is pretty shallow, if you projected up from the full plan (straight squares/circles) it would look more consistent.