AuthorTopic: GR#201 - Pixel Gameart  (Read 23743 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Developing pixel art for game creation [advice welcome]

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 01:57:39 pm
Looks great!  What's a chipset?  Do you mean tileset or is there some other term I don't know?

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 03:18:32 pm
"What's a chipset?" Paula, Denise & Agnus just rolled over in their graves!

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:36:21 pm
 :lol:  Ok I meant in this context, and that gang will never die anyway.

So turns out, as far as I can tell, chipset is an RPG Maker only term?  (Still not sure why though)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 03:39:57 pm
Looks great!  What's a chipset?  Do you mean tileset or is there some other term I don't know?

Yeah it's a tilesheet pretty much.  I never understood why they used it in RPGMaker when I always knew chipset the same way DawnBringer just mentioned (probably cos I too had an Amiga) though I quickly dispensed with that term for it after finding Game Maker and leaving RPGMaker behind (kinda limiting product when you don't really like RPGs).

I don't get the logic behind the usage in RPGMaker though.  What are the chips?
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline felicitousArtisan

• Distracted by shiny
    • View Profile
    • my art site

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 09:07:27 am

Yeah it's a tilesheet pretty much.  I never understood why they used it in RPGMaker when I always knew chipset the same way DawnBringer just mentioned (probably cos I too had an Amiga) though I quickly dispensed with that term for it after finding Game Maker and leaving RPGMaker behind (kinda limiting product when you don't really like RPGs).

I don't get the logic behind the usage in RPGMaker though.  What are the chips?

Ah sorry! I meant tileset! I was kind of in the RPGmaker community for a long time and it was some of my earliest exposure to pixel art, so the term "chipset" is wired into my head as an interchangeable term with tileset! Apologies for confusion, I was just being a derp!
Man, I dunno why they call it a chipset though *shrug* the more I think about it, the less the term makes sense. It also explains why when looking for inspiration and tutorials "chipset" gave me just RPGmaker stuff!

Okay so to clarify in non-stupid wording, I think trying to make a thematically consistent tileset would probably be a good exercise?