AuthorTopic: Animation Practice?  (Read 9976 times)

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Re: Animation Practice?

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 01:32:18 am
Thanks for the info so far! It looks like those spoiler tags are getting put to good use already. :)

Regarding that: is anybody else having display issues caused by AdBlock?
I've got adblock but I haven't noticed any issues yet.

I've been trying to see what I can do with pencil/paper but I had a bit of trouble at first, mostly with getting things to line up correctly. It turns out my roommate has a light board (I think that's the name?) so I plan to try and use that and see if it helps out.
In school we did everything with ColErase pencils on paper and a peg board light table. ----> There are much less expensive designs that also work fine.
Then we would shoot each page using a down facing camera onto a computer.
The camera would send the frame to a very simple animation program, called FlipBook I think, which we used to build the animation.
It had very simple features like sorting frame order, delays, layers, etc.
Altho it only supported Multiply layering so drawings would overlap onto each other.
You had to erase out the lines that would be occluded by another object on a layer above.
I'm not suggesting you do your exercises on paper.
In fact all the animations above I did in GraphicsGale.
Just something fun to try.

Almost done writing the next one.
I guess the one I'm using is an Artograph Light Box, it looks like it's probably pretty old. I figured it might be interesting to try it out though.

I really need to get used to drawing with my tablet, that would probably simplify things a lot. I've always had trouble with them since I'm too used to looking at what I'm drawing on, I guess the best way to get used to it is probably to just use it a lot more though.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:36:57 am by Azuyre »

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 02:49:23 pm
Revitalizing this thread under the recommendation of PilePixelDriver.  I am beginning to practice animation from the ground up.

I created this just testing how extensive I could go with an animation and how smoothly I could get things to seem to flow.  So yes it is simply a sliding animation.  My concern is the speed at which it flows.
There are 64 frames.  Are there any general rules that I should follow to make it flow smoothly across the screen?
Would it have worked better with fewer frames but larger transitions between the frames?
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 08:45:12 am
The smoothness is just how many frames are displayed per second..
You shouldn't be concerned about how smooth it is, try making it interesting first.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 04:11:10 am
There have been times that people tell me they're genuinely surprised to see a 4 or 8-frame animation I made that looked 'smooth' IMO smoothness isn't only about frame rate or even number of frames. Some cases, I've seen people make too many frames that the animation itself ends up slowing down.  I've seen animations with high frame rates but it didn't feel 'smooth since animation fundamentals were lacking.

Animations generally seem stiff and not fluid when things move at a constant flat speed, instead of slowing in and out of motion from one extreme to another. IMO there's not very much you can do with that idea since very little is going on.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:14:14 am by Pix3M »