AuthorTopic: GR#221 - Erde Mockups - Gameart  (Read 34421 times)

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Erde mock-ups [watery cavern & a character portrait]

Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:44 am
Wow Vagrant I like it; it takes away the straight orientation I didn't like in mine.. After sleeping I looked at it the next day and decided that aspect about it was very boring. It looks more like the face from that pencil work in the dropbox.. Thank you very much, I will work from this one. She looks so much better in the face now IMO.

Milokey: I can't unsee that hair as brainy now so thank you  :lol:. I will certainly avoid that in the next update. Gonna try to combine both of your and Vagrant's ideas in the next update.

I'll probably soften the hair and make the curls less outlined.
Thanks the both of you for taking the time to help, I am very grateful.

edit: Forgot to answer the ? of Vagrant's.

Nope, but the screen size is very small.  I make most the tiles at 16x16 or 32x32 but they aren't usally kept that small.. like the rocks for example, I have arbitrary sizes of what are more like large chunks rather than tiles.
And so far there are no color restrictions or anything other than I'd like to keep the sprites at 16 colors each for paletting simplicity ( you're familiar with the system I'm thinking of).

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:38:49 am by |||| »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 04:14:20 pm
I was gonna say the same as Milokey on hair; less finicky outlines and compartmentalised rendering, more broad massing and suggestion, on saying that the rocks you've got here go the opposite direction and look ace. I'd try switching out more outlines for mass + highlight to combat the pillow though, I sketched something more symmetrical on a whim, not sure ‘bout that.

The portrait is quite stylised so I'm not sure exactly what you want but the neck is pretty thin, the ear large and quite far out; kinda pixie/elflike. The only shadow currently is around the brow which kind of gives the impression of a concave face, I’d define the nose and cheek more, also looks really young here, idk if intentional but I aged her out a bit too by rounding out the chin and adjusting a few proportions; a little smaller up top generally.

Love the tilework, specially the new caves :y: I think if you keep the detail down elsewhere from the rocks those'll be gorgeous.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:42:45 pm by Facet »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 02:18:28 am
The structure of her face has so much more character Facet, thanks a lot for the edit! Definitely going to soften up and lighten the hair in the next one. I'm going to try and combine element from yours and Vagrant's while starting a new one from scratch. I think I will make her a bit older looking as well as you have.. I don't have enough down in the storyboard yet that reveals her originally intended youth so that is something I can still change without drastic measures. I'd say she looks like a 23 year old woman in yours; so I'll just go with that. Thanks for the edit!!!

Glad you like my tiles :)..
 I'll keep the other tiles in the cave simple as suggested; for the path I definitely will keep the detail low- good idea.

I'll update/ edit this post later with new images.

Updated:

It took me a long time  considering the size.

I think this one semi failed to make her look much older but I like it anyway so I'll stick to something close. I changed the light source a bit.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:04:23 am by |||| »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: Erde mock-ups ||||Updated Portrait||||

Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 05:22:59 pm
Worth the time, imo! looks great; much better structure and lighting, and lovely and smooth. Does look older to me.

The leather? collar and breastplate seem a bit aimlessly textured/patchy against the form, I'd flatten some of that out myself, or find a nice ref for something more specific.

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Erde mock-ups [Updated Portrait]

Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 08:00:56 am
Thanks for the feedback Facet  :)
Yes it's boiled leather ..  I google imaged cuir bouilli and found some nice references.
I came up with two others:

not as importantly (if anyone cares to suggest a color),
what color looks better as a standard background color or as sort of a theme color, aqua/ seafoam blue or that olive drab?

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 12:11:27 am
Yeah, left one fo' sure, just enough texture. Super picky now but I actually miss the darkest shade; maybe a touch on point of contact between materials?

I think I prefer the olive scheme, anything too bright is going to make outlines a bit harsh up against the AA/sel-out, it's a nice rich colour anyway. 

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:19:06 am
I don't have any advice, but I'll say they're damn pretty.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:51:04 am by Savick »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 12:31:45 am

like the portraits so far  :y:

some quick thoughts on proportions, perspective, anatomy and shading
relatively rough

her cranial mass seems to be a tad to short, shoulders to wide and orientation of torso and head a bit awkward
biggest issue I'd say are currently her shoulders - they are quite wide and somewhat off in terms of form and perspective.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 09:34:37 am
Facet, I put some of that darker color on the leather back.  ;D

Thanks for making that edit Cyangmou.
I implemented most of the considerations I think. Only, I kept her eyes at that angle and adjusted the shoulders to match it.
Also changed the arms to match some concept art; I'll just have to edit the sprite's arm color a bit to match.

I construed some orange reflection on the plate and shoulder pieces in Cyangmou's edit and went with it (shiny steel). I liked  the leather straps holding the shoulder pieces but did it in a different way:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:49:16 am by |||| »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:59 pm
After a very long session of pixeling tonight and this morning, I finally got back to finishing those rocks in the watery cave: