AuthorTopic: GR#151 - Avatar Sprite  (Read 12658 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Avatar Sprite

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 03:52:22 pm
Whoooooooooosh
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Haze01

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 09:20:08 pm
Well.. I'm pretty sure I seen some chibi-style drawings where they would have flying characters have their feet facing each other, it's sort of what I wanted to go for, sadly didn't find any reference.. I didn't really care about anatomy and how awkward it looked, just wanted it to be interesting and cute (-i hope it is-)  :crazy:
The pigeon-toed stance is something that makes a lot of characters look cute - I've seen it used often to good effect - but I felt it wasn't working with the desire to make a cute-and-tough pose of the angel flexing while flying.

Thanks for compliment about AA, I'm a little confused if it's good or bad now..
I don't know why you'd think the AA is bad... the exterior AA was looking odd against the default light background here because it is anti-aliased for a dark background but it looks great, in my opinion, on all of the images we've seen with the darker background color included.  All the interior detailing and antialising seem to work well, in my opinion.

Since your critique inspired me with possible edits, I decided to work on it some more:

Serious face.  :)  I like it.  It seems you darkened the palette over-all; I think I liked it better lighter.

Whoooooooooosh

This is awesome.  I pictured an edit exactly like this: I didn't mention it before but I did feel that changing the awkward tricep flex for a second bicep flex would look better and feel more natural; you nailed the cocky expression appropriate to the pose; and your change to the legs gives the sprite a better silhouette and again feels more natural.  The clouds, swoosh and halo turn it from an avatar to a fun image with a lot of dynamic things going on that make it feel nicely composed, show action, and provide emphasis.  If you were to take out those aspects, the sprite would remain a great avatar in this pose.

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 02:55:34 am
Whoooooooooosh

This is what I was hoping for !

But you did change the canvas size, and it's probably alright now that I won't be using it as avatar on PJ, so 64x64 isn't a limit,
I still went with the 64x64 size,

Your edit inspires me to make an actual full piece with this sprite, since I love how you used the colors to make the dash/whoosh effect :- )

Thanks a lot !

I don't know why you'd think the AA is bad... the exterior AA was looking odd against the default light background here because it is anti-aliased for a dark background but it looks great, in my opinion, on all of the images we've seen with the darker background color included.  All the interior detailing and antialising seem to work well, in my opinion.

Because Night said it was bad so I was confused, but perhaps Night meant the AA is bad for white bg, I dunno.. :- )

Serious face.    I like it.  It seems you darkened the palette over-all; I think I liked it better lighter.

Hmm I changed some of the aaing, that might be the reason.. I didn't edit colors at all.

Thanks