AuthorTopic: Industry themed little picture  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Industry themed little picture

on: September 27, 2013, 05:40:15 pm
I made a little drawing of a "game". I think it looks pretty good, but Im no expert so please tell me if I did something wrong/ could have done it better

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Re: Industry themed little picture

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:24:59 pm
If your satisfied with this piece:

Make sure to consistently check for readibility.  Things need to be distinguishable both in terms of form, and in terms of color  choice.  I get the impression I'm looking at the death of TV head at dusk.

In my opinion, I'm bothered that the background blends with the 'transformer' (telephone pole) at the top.  Less annoying is the floor and TV heads body are, as far as I can tell, made of the same thing.

Opinions are not facts, please ignore me in favor of your own inner artist as you see fit.

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:58:56 pm
its supposed to fuse in with the celling, its a dark place/ dark sky. Also what do you mean by death of TV head at dusk? You mean that it looks like a black white TV when it is turned off?   ???
Anyway thanks for the comment

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:59:38 am
I think I was thrown off because the floor and the roofs black bar are different sized.  I get the feeling I'm looking at one of those screen brightness testers, where you need to turn up the brightness just enough that.the darkest bar is distinguished from the 2nd last.

It's not bad, getting a second look at it later in the day.  Everything is fine.  I don't know why I saw a telephone accessory before, I realize now that when you created them, they were probably intended to be boxes.

Also, I meant it's dusk due to the darkness.  TV head is the character with the body, and his death is coming at him from what clearly looks like a burning missile.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 06:59:40 am
Please can you post next time as 1:1 pixels as this forum has scaling by click/shift-click (use Firefox for no blurring).

Dead Leaves game...now there's an idea  :lol:

Its good that the metal strut blends with the background if isn't a collidable object.

The missile should definitely be a stand-out colour.
More like a black outline filled white so it stands out against any background.

Then limit your usage of the 2 lightest shades in your background so they don't conflict with your sprites.
Then you can consider giving your hero single-pixel white feet or something so you can easily see where he's going to land against dark backgrounds.

Do you know what is the thing he is standing next to?
Is it anything in particular like some sort of console?
I'd be inclined to lower the height of the box a touch so it doesn't look too similar to your hero.

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 10:02:18 am
Ok I did what you said (as far as I understand  :-[ )

Thanks for the critics
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:03:11 am by Meanapple »

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 05:03:17 am

new picture

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:46:52 am
The direction your headed is likely to cause player frustration.
So I changed a bunch of things to be more gameplay friendly.
This means considering the use of contrast and details.

Notice the missile is white with black outline so it will be visible against any background.
And the wavy trail means you can identify it against other enemy projectiles without looking direction at it.
Assuming the box is something interactive, it receives a simpler shape with lit up button but not TOO contrasted against its immediate surrounding.
Realising now this is a platform game with gaps to avoid, it would be better to brighten the platform above what I've done here so you can actually see it.
Backgrounds themselves get less contrast since you don't want it to interfer visually or distract attention from anything interactive.

Made your guy more of a TV head but just occured to be...is he supposed to be a ninja?

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 11:44:56 am
wow your version looks alot better :D
and no he wasnt supposed to be a TV head in the first place but its a good idea though, I made a random character and liked it so I used him.