AuthorTopic: GR#234 - Forest Tileset  (Read 100160 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Forest tileset...

Reply #80 on: November 27, 2014, 11:03:05 pm
Better color  ???

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #81 on: November 28, 2014, 01:59:06 am
It looks nice, but it's way too saturated.

If you put a sprite on that it would be overpowered by the background.

I tried to tone down the colors and the contrast a bit here ( I might have overdone it, but.. ):

Also I think you need just a little bit of transition between the grass textures. I like your grass but it just looks a little too sharp and stands out against everything else too much IMO.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #82 on: November 28, 2014, 02:28:57 am
I love beetle's colors and severely dislike yours EvilEye, so it might be a matter of preference? I'm known to make super eye-burning saturated stuff, so it's to be expected :)

I think you can put characters on beetle's version perfectly fine

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #83 on: November 28, 2014, 04:00:05 am
I love beetle's colors and severely dislike yours EvilEye, so it might be a matter of preference? I'm known to make super eye-burning saturated stuff, so it's to be expected :)

I think you can put characters on beetle's version perfectly fine

Well I guess if Beetle has some sprites he can put them on there and prove me wrong... To me that background just looks way too strong, especially considering the detail on the grass.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #84 on: November 28, 2014, 05:52:47 am
Well I guess if Beetle has some sprites he can put them on there and prove me wrong... To me that background just looks way too strong, especially considering the detail on the grass.
Yeah, fair enough, we can't really say for sure without some sprites :)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #85 on: November 28, 2014, 07:46:36 am
I like both of them :'( The rocks, bushes and flowers in EvilEye's are a bit too desaturated for my taste, though.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #86 on: November 28, 2014, 10:07:12 am
I think EvilEyes edit looks more soothing and easy on the eyes.
And colorful sprites will always pop better against a more dull background.

It looks a bit foggy though, maybe because everything is desaturated..

Also, I think Contrast/Color preferences are probably heavily influenced by different monitors..
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:09:48 am by Seiseki »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #87 on: November 28, 2014, 03:11:46 pm
I really like where you're going with this. ;D

As I see it, the main issue with the saturation is that the darker shades are too saturated. I think the brighter shades are fine by themselves, but that they look washed out in comparison. In general, less light means less saturation. If you reduce the saturation of the darker shades, the brighter colors will also stand out a bit more.

Also, the dirt looks like a separate element, as it differs a lot from the grass both in hue and brightness. If you bring the dirt and grass shades closer together in hue, especially where the darker dirt shades meet the darker grass shades,  they won't clash as much.

I agree that a more subtle background would be more suited for a game, and I liked EvilEye's desaturated shift towards blue, so I applied it to the darker end of the green ramp. Also pushed the darker dirt shades a bit towards green.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: November 28, 2014, 10:34:06 pm
I've been watching this thread for a while and I wanted to just wanted to offer a little food for thought. At the current time, with the tufts of grass getting darker as if they're receding into the ground seems rather strange to me and feels really unnatural. Normally the grass would be the darker shade and the large tufts that raise above the rest of the grass would be lighter. So with that in mind I went and swapped the light and dark greens and came up with this very messy edit:

Now this isn't any where near perfect but I feel that it does illustrate my point as I feel that the grass here has a bit more natural looking depth to it. Could be wrong though!  :crazy:

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: November 29, 2014, 04:29:09 am
I've been watching this thread for a while and I wanted to just wanted to offer a little food for thought. At the current time, with the tufts of grass getting darker as if they're receding into the ground seems rather strange to me and feels really unnatural. Normally the grass would be the darker shade and the large tufts that raise above the rest of the grass would be lighter. So with that in mind I went and swapped the light and dark greens and came up with this very messy edit:

Now this isn't any where near perfect but I feel that it does illustrate my point as I feel that the grass here has a bit more natural looking depth to it. Could be wrong though!  :crazy:

You know this might have been one of the things that was bothering me about the grass, some of it looked "inverted".

Tidbits edit fixed some of this, though I think the grass is too dark in this version.