AuthorTopic: GR#234 - Forest Tileset  (Read 100180 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Forest tileset... cliff [c+c]

Reply #60 on: June 04, 2014, 06:46:31 pm

To me the cliff looks fine, but there are dark lines that give away the grid.

You have really sharp eyes! Ah I didn't even notice that!

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Forest tileset...

Reply #61 on: October 04, 2014, 09:28:46 pm
Hello guys! I just want ask is the color of this forest too saturated?? Should I reduce saturation? Does it burn you eyez?

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #62 on: October 05, 2014, 02:33:54 am
Yeah my eyes just exploded.

There is no hierarchy of colour here, everything is standing out as much as everything else, you need to push back the grass in order to make the trees and planets, which are very well pixeled, into something you can actually focus on. A lightly desaturated blueish green could look nice for the grass, but experiment.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: October 05, 2014, 04:04:55 am
Yeah my eyes just exploded.

There is no hierarchy of colour here, everything is standing out as much as everything else, you need to push back the grass in order to make the trees and planets, which are very well pixeled, into something you can actually focus on. A lightly desaturated blueish green little bit could look nice for the grass, but experiment.

:D Thank you for criticism.. Here is my first edit!! I reduced green brightness of the green color little bit.. Now forest has more of sun rise feel..

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:25:58 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: October 05, 2014, 01:48:04 pm
You uped the saturation ?_?

This might be a personal taste issue but below left is roughly how I would treat it and below right is about as bright as I would dare to go without touching the colours of the assets.

Experiment a bit more then I have, but the aim of the background is to make your assets pop, they are being a little overwhelmed as it is imo.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 02:03:28 pm by AlcopopStar »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: October 05, 2014, 02:37:12 pm
You uped the saturation ?_?

This might be a personal taste issue but below left is roughly how I would treat it and below right is about as bright as I would dare to go without touching the colours of the assets.

I noticed the difference when I tested this scene with my brother comptuer and It looked very bright...  My colors looks way different from  my compture .. I need maybe adjust my screen colors..

Experiment a bit more then I have, but the aim of the background is to make your assets pop, they are being a little overwhelmed as it is imo.

That looks insteresting.. Problem here is that it looks too  dark.. My intention was to make vibrant but not super bright...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:19:22 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: October 05, 2014, 08:57:37 pm
Does this help?? I added contrast.. I tried make it more dark.. but its looked Imo very boring...

Old

New

Only with new contrast..

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:22:31 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: October 06, 2014, 11:48:55 pm
Here latest update: Im happy how this turned..

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:38:42 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile

Reply #68 on: October 07, 2014, 03:05:16 am
defiantly an improvement.

When I said contrast I was meaning less in the sense of light and dark and more in the sense of the assets standing well against the background. As it is I feel like the darks in this picture look a little burnt. My pallets often sit a little too much on the washed out side out so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you could lift, desaturate and hue shift the darker side of your pallet (and harmonize the rest of the pallet to match).

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #69 on: October 07, 2014, 03:43:11 am
I noticed the difference when I tested this scene with my brother comptuer and It looked very bright...  My colors looks way different from  my compture .. I need maybe adjust my screen colors..

As always, I recommend the online calibration tool at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ as a good reference to calibrate your monitor with.

That looks insteresting.. Problem here is that it looks too  dark.. My intention was to make vibrant but not super bright...
I think what you have is just too bright, still (better than it was, but..). If you look at LoZ: Link to the Past screenshots,  it seems like a reasonable example of a vibrant art style, and you can see that most things are darker than you have. Seiken Densetsu 3 (which I guess you have taken some inspiration from) is done in a similar way. eg this screenshot appears very vibrant but the main brightness level that dominates the picture is of the grass tiles, which is fairly dark.
Another example is Rayman (the original one), which gets away with some bright colors by using a lot of value changes so that no area of value becomes overwhelming. This requires more work IME.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:46:25 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.