AuthorTopic: GR#137 - Sword Icon  (Read 10456 times)

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

GR#137 - Sword Icon

on: September 12, 2013, 01:31:23 am

How to make it better?  Thanks guys.

I realize now I should focus on one at a time instead of posting a bunch of stuff, this work takes time, attention to detail, and most of all, patience.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:42:49 am by Zintendo »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Just one Sword

Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:52:29 am

Somewhat sloppy edit, but I hope you can get something out of it.
Some points:
-Be consistent with your outlines. At this size it can hurt the readability to even have outlines, but keep them around the whole object if you feel you must have them.
-Make sure you're using all your colors. Many of your shades are so close together that you can't tell them apart, so mind the contrast. Don't be afraid to mix different hues in there, either. The blue in my edit's highlight helps make the material look like shiny silver, the browns in the handle make it more like gold, etc. Besides different materials having specific color ramps, remember that light is rarely pure white, so colors will naturally shift on any object.
-If you're struggling with a piece, don't be afraid to use reference! I don't pixel many weapons, so I used this sheet as a guideline for how to go about this edit. Just be mindful that you don't blatantly copy others' work, try to break it down and think "why did the artist choose this pixel formation?" If you can understand the process behind the decision, your own work will become better.

I realize now I should focus on one at a time instead of posting a bunch of stuff, this work takes time, attention to detail, and most of all, patience.

Yes.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:16:02 pm
try working with a background of a desaturated hue (or plain grey) at 50% brightness.
this helps u balance the values of any sprite.

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:28:00 pm
I totally agree about the color ramps, don't be afraid to separate your colors more to create better depth. Also don't be scared to use those separations to create shapes within your piece. To add to the reference note, don't be afraid to take a look at real life examples too. Light works in weird ways especially on metal and it's worth studying a bit. (I admit I need to do this more myself)

Super quick edit while I'm at work:
<3

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 07:43:14 am

I would get rid of the outlines altogether, try to focus on shapes rather than outlines. I made the hilt longer and added a pommel for readability, also made the crossguard a little thicker. Not sure about the colors, my screen at work is crap. Hope it helps

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 10:59:16 am

I would get rid of the outlines altogether, try to focus on shapes rather than outlines. I made the hilt longer and added a pommel for readability, also made the crossguard a little thicker. Not sure about the colors, my screen at work is crap. Hope it helps
Nice. That looks sick and even reads well at 100% on full hd 24" monitor.
Unfortunately I can not say the same for mine.
I'm not yet confident enough to survive without some kind of outline for game sprites.

Steps:

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 11:05:08 am

outlines depends on the background. is it flat and contrasts well with the colors, don't use outlines.
is it flat but don't contrasts well outlines might be an idea, or partial outlines broken here and there to give the viewer the idea of the form - the flat bg won't distract.
do you have a busy background with details use outlines.

Outlines can be solid or shaded to the lightsource or emphasize parts of the sprite (line weighting)
If there is no outline use your shades to let the viewer easily grasp the form.

Make also sure that the construction lines are solid and accurate unless you want to imply some perspective (at this size flat views work better, also check up your shaded version with your constructed version from time to time), Wolf's was off at a few spots.

The sprite is big enough to go fancy with lighting and material. I used the blue tones to illustrate polished steel on the blade, the darker ones to get some fabric around the handle. pommel and crossguard are made out of cheaper more solid metal and the ornamental stone is bright gold.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:22:11 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 12:45:34 pm

I liked Decroded's color on the hilt, and his gem, so I stole it  ;D and some of Cyangmou's colors

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 06:06:10 pm
Please stop posting before I have a heart attack!  Lol.  Fine work gentlemen (breathes in and out of paper bag).   :-[ I am not worthy to be in the presence of such talent.

I print out the replies to my posts and put them in my artwork folder, so trust me when I say your replies go a long way for me.  Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:10:30 pm by Zintendo »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 06:37:18 am

My gem is supposed to be subtle but I see now it isn't very readable.
But your gem has an evil eye...and it keeps staring at me :o
Maybe you intended that (which would mean you're just as evil), but if not:

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 01:11:48 pm

Unable to resist the charm of the eye you have fallen for my trap, I placed a curse upon the sword. By touching the unholy blade you have ensured your own doom!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 03:22:26 pm

Unable to resist the charm of the eye you have fallen for my trap, I placed a curse upon the sword. By touching the unholy blade you have ensured your own doom!
Damn you! This is going to give me nightmares   :blind:

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 04:19:54 pm
Alright, people; enough! Let's get back on topic here :mean:
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 06:53:28 pm

Choosing a much simpler art-style might help for the beginning.
I made a version with b/w + 2 colors for each ramp and solely concentrated on how to place the lines and bring out the form with the given restrictions.

Working with simpler styles cuts away a lot of details, although it still can look really good and it's rather fast done.
It also forces you to concentrate on some very basic things you need: shapes, outlines and basic shading.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline NeithR

• VsioS
    • neithr.x
    • pixeljoint.com/p/62966.htm
    • xothex
    • neithr
    • vsio.stitched
    • View Profile
    • NeithR's

Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 03:29:41 am
So, I am tempted too to make my own modified version xD :

So, here are what I did:
- Modified the color ramp to make it more contrast and reduce saturation to color which has very high saturation
- Redefined the lighting and shading based on the shape of the sword
- Made other version of color ramp but with the same sword. It gives different feeling to the sword when I tried it other color xD. Like the second one, it gives a steel-sword feeling while the last one gives the fire-sword feeling xD.
My Pixel Art Portfolio
My Pixel Art Game Assets: itch, GDM