AuthorTopic: Next Commercial Critique (July) Suggestions  (Read 52795 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Next Commercial Critique (July) Suggestions

Reply #50 on: July 14, 2006, 02:59:56 pm
The Amiga version didn't have that intro screen (which I think looks no good) and had much
better music. It was also better becuase it didn't go to a seperate fight screen (the graphics
there is really bad too).

I think Immortal definately has the best animation (the manual says the
guy worked at Disney). Here's some more screenshots:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/immortal/screenshots/gameShotId,10723/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/immortal/screenshots/gameShotId,10732/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/immortal/screenshots/gameShotId,10728/

Edit: Looking at the first screen shot you can see that the inventory items are really well drawn.
Because the graphics and animation are so good this one should be critqued, theres alot to learn.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:34:58 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: July 14, 2006, 03:18:03 pm
so that doesnt exactly help us be better pixelers now does it?

also, i wasnt here for the ones back at pixelation, but any game with graphics by Henk would be awesome!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 03:59:57 am by Ryumaru »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #52 on: July 15, 2006, 09:13:05 am
just posting a few graphics from YI so it isnt a completely wasted vote XP:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 09:14:36 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #53 on: July 16, 2006, 01:36:33 am
I would also have to vote for Yoshi's Island. It has very colorful graphics and I find it accomplishes a "more with less" style that strongly adds to the game. The fact that the graphics look simplistic doesn't necessarily mean it's an easy style to mimic. The backgrounds are interesting while not distracting from the action in the foreground and I find manage to imply a sort of mood for the levels just with the palette selection. I would be interested in this a lot more than another photo-realistic or indie game, personally.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: July 16, 2006, 01:29:41 pm
I'll vote for Yoshi's Island too. I probably won't participate though, but that's because I don't think I have enough knowledge and skill to do so yet.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #55 on: July 16, 2006, 04:18:44 pm
that brings up a relevant issue...

maybe this should be structured more like a signup. See, the troubled CCs are usually the ones everybody votes for but nobody has anything to say about, so if by voting you were required to write about it there wouldnt be failed CCs.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #56 on: July 16, 2006, 06:24:12 pm
Whereas that originally seems like a good idea, what happens when somebody doesn't comment, although he's signed up? You can't punish people for that, any activity that is even remotely linked with fears of penalties usually dries up and dies just because people don't want to associate with that sort of atmosphere.

So for how long do I keep this thread running before I tally up posts and the new thread is made?

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #57 on: July 16, 2006, 06:40:27 pm
anytime is better than never. might as well get the ball rolling if the polls show a winner.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #58 on: July 16, 2006, 07:26:26 pm
My vote goes to Yoshi's Island :)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: July 18, 2006, 12:21:37 am
that brings up a relevant issue...

maybe this should be structured more like a signup. See, the troubled CCs are usually the ones everybody votes for but nobody has anything to say about, so if by voting you were required to write about it there wouldnt be failed CCs.
I think it partially has to do with people voting for games they like rather than games they respect(see Secret of Mana suggest, and Cave Story). That's why I want you or one of the other knowledgeable pixellers to pick out a game this time around for the CC. Maybe it could alternate so you'd have one CC decided by a vote followed by one decided by knowledgeable pixellers. Hopefully after doing this for some time, the voted CCs would learn from the pixeller CCs what sort of games are best for critiquing.

I like the suggestions so far, a lot of good games suggested. If we do go for YI, I finished playing it and have about 100 screens of it to browse for referencing. Definitely some interesting art and tiling in it. I like the evergreens in that one picture. It looks like they flipped the tiles and used a different colour index to show the shadow side. It's pulled off quite nicely.