AuthorTopic: [Possibly Paid] Looking for 1 environment artist and 1 character artist.  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Maguswre

• View Profile
Greetings,

First allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chris and I am a graduate game programmer. I am one of the heads of a small indie game development team and we working on our first proper project. The project itself is being made with intent to sell if the end result meets our expectations. The target platform is PC with the possibility of it being ported to android.

The game itself is a pirate themed 2D side-scroller... because pirates are awesome. When we started the project we wanted to create a cool and refreshing throwback to the games we grew up with, this view has not changed and is still our goal. To achieve this goal we have decided on having the game sprite based. This is where you guys might want to come in.

We are looking for 2 artists as the topic title states.

Environment Artist:
We need an artist who specializes in environments or to be more specific, somebody who is really good at making tilesets and miscellaneous brick-a-brack to throw about the levels.
Key Responsibilities~
-Working with character artist to define the art style.
-Working to a specific art style.
-Producing concept art for your visions of the level.
-Creation of tilesets for all worlds.
-Creation of all miscellaneous items.

Character Artist:
We are also in need of somebody to design our characters. This includes the player and all enemies.
Key Responsibilities~
-Working with Environment Artist to define the art style.
-Working to a specific art style.
-Working with the Story Writer and Designers to interpret their ideas as well as your own for the characters and enemies. (obviously, your input at this stage carries just as much weight as theirs).
-Producing concept art for the characters
-Creation of sprite sheets which can be animated for each character in the game.

I understand that both of these roles are asking a lot. But becoming a member of the team will give you creative input into what happens with not just with the art, but the overall direction of the game (within reason, naturally).

As stated in the topic title, there is possible monetary gain. This will be a percentage of the profits earned if we decide to go ahead with the selling of the game upon completion. Percentage not yet decided but it won't be something stingy like 0.5% I can tell you that much.

Here is a little demonstration of the gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CYS92IHZJ8
Please excuse the placeholder mario sprites, we need to use something and it just seemed appropriate.

If you are interested email at chris.armitt.1988@gmail.com with some samples of your work and which position you want to fill.

Once again this is no small task, and we require dedicated artists to fill these positions.

Thanks for reading,
Chris Armitt
The Everything Programmer and Co-Founder, Molten Rock Studios

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile
Just want to say that this should be in the unpaid section.

Employment/Main - This identifies that the poster of the thread is offering payment for services related to pixel art, or game development involving pixel art. Therefore, Artists as well as Coders may be sought. Do not use this tag if you lack the funds to pay for services rendered. While it is understood that agreements without contract assume a promisary nature towards payment, the staff reserves the right to remove content and ban individuals which abuse any publically recognized agreement on this forum through this advertisement.  Moderators may move your thread or take further action if any of the following are true:
1 - You are not offering any payment,
2 - The payment offered is "eventual" - i.e. "Once our game sells you will get a cut."  This is unpaid!

Plus, that's a lot of work for no guaranteed pay. I'm sure if you offered something up front you'd have much better luck.

Offline Maguswre

• View Profile
It is a lot of work, sure.
But so is everything else in making a game. For example I'm doing all the programming for it solo. The only thing I'm using that isn't my own is the rendering engine. I'm using something else for that.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account
The thing is, you're doing it for yourself.
An artist who is hired to the job as an outsider has no investment nor is it their dream job, so you should try to take that into account.

In general it's said that artists should only do charity work for a charity they absolutely agree with, and since this is only potentially a paid job, I wouldn't expect the artist to do so much work for such a tenuous reward.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com