AuthorTopic: New concept art  (Read 17517 times)

Offline JillandJack

• View Profile

second attempt at candle

Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 08:21:35 pm
Well, here i go with my second attempt:

It looks like i am missing a key frame or something or one frame was duplicated i am aware of this and will fix it later it looks good on my computer ill try to remake it into a gif, later on
Last run cycle i thought his legs looked a little too noodlely... so i figured i should make him more stubby
i don't really like the bounce in his step to be honest, but if you need it for the illusion to walk..

anyways a critique on this guy would be nice:

What you think he his?
his clothing?
Does he look bad or good?
What can be improved?
what just does not make sence?
If this is horrible i should just start from scratch again

all advice apreciated  ;D
If your just starting out PixelPileDriver has a great blog to help you get started:
http://ppdaniatlas.blogspot.ca/
Hopefully you get as much as I have out of it :)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: Back with new candle sprite

Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 11:52:51 am
Ok...I'm gonna throw myself into this.

First of all I get the feeling that you are not thoroughly reading what people have written. If you actually want to improve you need to chill the beans a little and go back to your original sprite. You musn't rush these things.

Learning is a process and if you would have sticked to your first character with the fez and done it to the extent that you feel you have learned something, this candleman would be a lot better and easier for you to make.

So I suggest you take a step back, actually read what people have said and pick out the things that you find interesting and helpful for your learning.

I made this in a hurry since i'm in school and I didnt have time to make it look like its running properly, right now he's swaying back and forth. But that's just a matter
of tweens.

• It's 4 unique frames made into 6 if you dont count the particle movement moving on top.
  • The 2 duplicated frames are the first and the 3rd, when he is in the air to give it some pause.

Basically it got tripple the motion in your animation but with less frames. You just need to nail the keyframes
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:58:17 pm by coffee »

Offline JillandJack

• View Profile

Re: Back with new candle sprite

Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 09:05:56 am
thanks for your response  :)

First of all I get the feeling that you are not thoroughly reading what people have written.

yes, this is true.
I just had 5 exams at the start of december, i probibly shouldn't of been posting...

Learning is a process and if you would have sticked to your first character with the fez and done it to the extent that you feel you have learned something, this candleman would be a lot better and easier for you to make.

Ya, i can sorta see what you mean here. The reason i didn't continue with jack, was i kept feeling i would just keep copying ppd sprite. I did that with jack, jill and to some extent the wizard(giant). Every time i tried i felt i was just making carbon copies of a character, and wasn't following the advice of people on the forums.
You shouldn't just copy PP's work. You don't learn anything that way that you wouldn't from just looking at it.
This is why i just kept switching. I just trying to find a character that i can find out in my own way how to make a run cycle. Instead of copying people. Which i previously did.

I made this in a hurry since i'm in school and I didnt have time to make it look like its running properly, right now he's swaying back and forth. But that's just a matter
of tweens.
:'( how is everyone so good at this you did that in a hurry... mabe i should start doing things in a hurry  :P
Basically it got tripple the motion in your animation but with less frames.
Ya, i see what you did there ill try and incorporate that in the next sprite i do.
You just need to nail the keyframes
what do you mean by this  ???

Thanks again for your advice,  :)

Tried going back to making characters in orginal 16x16 here is the candle sprite downsized:

the blue is sweat, was going to delete it but ended up being lazy and didn't. red is fire coming off candle,(got idea from coffee) he kicking up dusk (from ppd) he's blinking as he runs.

If anyone knows any good animation software, that they use for their pixel art? PM me a link  ;D

-edit-
hopefully you can see this better:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:36:30 am by JillandJack »
If your just starting out PixelPileDriver has a great blog to help you get started:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: smaller candle sprite

Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Tried going back to making characters in orginal 16x16 here is the candle sprite downsized:
That doesn't seem to help you animating it, imho.
Feet and hands are now barely identifyable, and shortening the height of the candle make it less identifiable as "a candle".

keyframe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyframes
in a nutshell, if your run cycle takes 1/3 of second, you start drawing 2 or 3 individual pictures that shows that movement, and then build up your animation by drawing additional pictures that will sit in-between (it's all in the running animation picture, btw).
I have the feeling that drawing the "motion blur" on those keyframes would help you.

animation software: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=3467.0

Offline JillandJack

• View Profile

about to kick the photobucket..

Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 08:34:08 pm
animation software: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=3467.0
thanks for this link, i found it very helpful ;D

That doesn't seem to help you animating it, imho.
Ya, i didn't think it would either but i just did it that way so again i am forced not to borrow to much from other people's work.

Laying off the animation for the awhile, kinda getting frustrated  >:(
So tried again at this jack sprite. I <3 ppd jack sprite, but began asking people i know what they thought of it and i got some mixed responses. Some knew it was a bucket, others thought it was a pour spout (do pour spouts have handles  ???) anyways what i learned from this is that it need to be more square, or some people thought it should be.( i really don't think it needed to be more squre) But it gave me a reason to give this a shot  :crazy:

-edit-
Although i still have a long way before i can do this. I am starting to work on a series of skits for my game. I don't know if ill go the route of meatboy and add them as cutscenes or start a youtube channel to help gain a fan base...
One i am thinking of doing is when jack gets to the beanstalk he starts climbing and there will be some farmer doing something in his field. He will then stop, pounds his pitchfork in the ground twice and chants "Deh-Shay Deh-Shay Bah-Sah-Rah" jack then stops looks at him. Then another farm couple come and join in the chant. Then a shepard and his sheep come and join in the chant. (The sheep pounding each hoof before chanting) Jack then looks at them with freaked out eyes and quickly climbs beankstalk off screen.

Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RvKD3V1V4I

i'll try and keep things relevent to pixel art, for next time. /edit

edit/update:
here i fiddled around with im a little more

Started with jill on this type of character design:

Hopefully these are better to see..

still working on jill, don't really know what to do the clothing, definitely needs a bit more color.
I don't really know if i am doing a good job with their anatomy,
i don't know if i should outine arms too? i tried it and it looked awful..don't know what to do about this..
I keep trying to incoroporate shading ( i don't know if i am using the right term here) with the jack character, don't know if this makes it look nicer or just messy
Less total colors.
More color re use.
Broader surfaces.
Thicker plane changes.
trying to go back and re-read advice, i think i am using less colors, and re-using colors (except for the handle of the bucket, tried doing the skin color but didn't really look right to me)
I think i have a idea of what broader surfaces are, but not 100% sure
thicker plane changes, again not 100% sure
Like does it mean that their is more color change, or make it look more 3d? hmm ???
references for these characters are just some sketches i got and ppd sprite, and my recreation of jill using ppd sprite skeleton. ( i really think i have kinda done it my own way here, but if i am still kinda going down the wrong path.. Please don't give up on me, let me know and i'll do my best to change )

-edit/update 4:21pm 22/12/2012-:

back at this animation stuff again..sigh

Really don't know what to do about the hands tried to outline them but all attempts seem to fail.
definitely need to fix since they seem to dissappear once by his side.
eyes could use more detail also, just starting to get into run cycle, just started with basic motion and adding in frame or two.
...argh re-reading i guess i still make sprites that look like their skating...sigh
back to gamemaker..
Update:
I just finished this, don't have time to talk about it or add more sprites. will later on
edit/update:

him facing away:

My current dilema..

here are my attempts to make a recognizable bucket:

edit/update:
All attempts to make a bucket have failed.. :(
so, i am now on to making my sprite jump

Not yet done still needs a few frames to make the motion smooth, hopefully on on the right track

edit/update dec 29, 2012:
for some reason photobucket not working for me, so i can't upload images. :(
But, after talking to quite a few people i learned alot about what i am doing wrong. One was i made the bucket with the handle to the side, which makes it look more like a cup then a bucket. Another was that i can go at this bucket one or two ways. First make the bucket with two side handles or make it with one handle. The dis-adv: of the side handles is that they take up quite a bit of room on his face, the one handle bucket is hard to recongnize it is a handle. another thing i am having trouble with is the wooden bucket itself. I think if i can get the handles right people will automatically think is a bucket and will no longer think it to be some sort of hat. But another thing i was missing was the metal band that goes around the bucket with. Though i am also having difficulties recreating this, i am making progress which is not the case with the handles.

edit/update january 3 2013:
here what i learned about the bucket:

I realized that my sprite was a little to advanced for me, and i was putting to much time into making this sprite then the rest of the game. So tried taking what i learned so far and went back to 16x16 and used 4 colors. Hopefully it looks somewhat of a bucket on his head..
-edit- first one i should be just back pixels like the last two, instead of showing skin

Started on my first tiles:

edit/update jan 4, 2013:
finished jill sprite:

jill is wearing a bonnet, with a dress, she has no shoes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:43:21 am by JillandJack »

Offline JillandJack

• View Profile

Re: Jill sprite finished

Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 05:15:35 pm
[imghttp://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u587/JillandJackForever/image_zps3be089a21_zps8ab80031.png]http://[/img]

[/img]
Dam.. sorry everybody just meant to edit a previous post.. trying to figure this out again..

-edit- this was created for me by:
source:
http://erichetherington.daportfolio.com/
-edit-
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:22:21 pm by JillandJack »