AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134517 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #100 on: October 04, 2012, 11:56:16 am
Wall? Imo I Does not look like wall at all.. Its 1 part of the cliff..  http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-17/dq6-town-concept1.html Dragon quest have little bit sames style rock that I have.
Yep, sorry. I didn't meant wall as in "human-crafted piling of carefully selected rocks" but just as in "something that stands in the way, that goes high". just because (afaik) "cliff" could go both up or down depending on the side you are.

Anyway, I feel like it's time for me to step back a little from this thread: I don't want to divert you away from pixel art by what looks like endless argueing (and is mostly me poorly picking my words/examples).

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #101 on: October 04, 2012, 12:52:41 pm
Wall? Imo I Does not look like wall at all.. Its 1 part of the cliff..  http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-17/dq6-town-concept1.html Dragon quest have little bit sames style rock that I have.
Yep, sorry. I didn't meant wall as in "human-crafted piling of carefully selected rocks" but just as in "something that stands in the way, that goes high". just because (afaik) "cliff" could go both up or down depending on the side you are.

Okay I now understand better  ;)

Anyway, I feel like it's time for me to step back a little from this thread: I don't want to divert you away from pixel art by what looks like endless argueing (and is mostly me poorly picking my words/examples).

Thats okay   :D
I still have a bit more difficult to understand because My english is not the best.. there are a lot of new words and I have learned many new words and good example is cliff xD.. CLiff is a new word for me.

Little update: Are the bottom now better than older?

New tree leaf.. Im going to use small and the big one.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:07:43 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #102 on: October 07, 2012, 05:21:34 pm
Hi !
I really liked Sohei's edit about the rocks but the probleme is that you can see it as a hole.
I think adding some shadows on the grass floor, droping from the top of the cliff can help seeing it as a wall instead of a hole.

Your bigger tree is great ! But the small one is now too big compared to the large one

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #103 on: October 07, 2012, 10:20:48 pm
Hi !
I really liked Sohei's edit about the rocks but the probleme is that you can see it as a hole.
I think adding some shadows on the grass floor, droping from the top of the cliff can help seeing it as a wall instead of a hole.

Hello frost!

Many people have said the same thing about that black hole think but I really dont understand what you guys mean.. Can you show it  visually?

Your bigger tree is great ! But the small one is now too big compared to the large one

:-[ I agree..  It really doesnt fit with rest smaller trees...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:24:17 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #104 on: October 07, 2012, 11:08:33 pm
My edit can be mistook for a hole only in given view. When you put it together with corners, and drop a shadow from the whole massive, there would be no room for misreading.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:30:19 pm by Sohei »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #105 on: October 07, 2012, 11:16:11 pm
just imagine a trench in the landscape - like this    ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅\___/ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅

It seems to appear like a trench, because it's pretty hard to keep the y axis (height) from the z axis (depth) in the 3/4 RPG perspectives because they are overlapping. If we only see the straight part of the wall and we will see the gradient from light to dark gray. Since the lightest gray seems to have the same lighting conditions as the grass it appears to us as the same depth. de dark grays seems to be deeper (light values appear nearer than dark values). Because it's also hard to say if the grass is at the bottom of a cliff, or if it's just the end of another cliff.

If you would have a cliff edge, the whole thing will appear completely different because we can actually see the y axis (more or less). If you make maps also keep in mind that long straight walls can occur odd.

The edit of FP seems to prevent the hole-impression pretty much.

Another idea would be to use strong vertical forms with objects that are describing the height-level interaction between the different planes. (e.g. a non linear cliff edge at the bottom which interacts with the grass to make clear that the first rock is standing at the grass) Your current straight line at the bottom is pretty much the same like the grass-line on the cliffs, so we rotate it in our mind by 180 degrees and think there is a not-visible cliff.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #106 on: October 14, 2012, 09:24:51 am
just imagine a trench in the landscape - like this    ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅\___/ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅ ̅

It seems to appear like a trench, because it's pretty hard to keep the y axis (height) from the z axis (depth) in the 3/4 RPG perspectives because they are overlapping. If we only see the straight part of the wall and we will see the gradient from light to dark gray. Since the lightest gray seems to have the same lighting conditions as the grass it appears to us as the same depth. de dark grays seems to be deeper (light values appear nearer than dark values). Because it's also hard to say if the grass is at the bottom of a cliff, or if it's just the end of another cliff.

If you would have a cliff edge, the whole thing will appear completely different because we can actually see the y axis (more or less). If you make maps also keep in mind that long straight walls can occur odd.

The edit of FP seems to prevent the hole-impression pretty much.

Another idea would be to use strong vertical forms with objects that are describing the height-level interaction between the different planes. (e.g. a non linear cliff edge at the bottom which interacts with the grass to make clear that the first rock is standing at the grass) Your current straight line at the bottom is pretty much the same like the grass-line on the cliffs, so we rotate it in our mind by 180 degrees and think there is a not-visible cliff.

Ahh thank you for explanation! I really understand it now! 

PypeBros Im very sorry behaved badly towards you.. I really hate me when I'm sometimes rude. Your criticism always welcome  :y:

I have not worked much with Cliff, but I started to work on the water Textures..  I decided to do a see-through water for pond. I got a lot of inspiration from moomin water.

Wip..

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:49:10 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #107 on: October 21, 2012, 12:47:36 pm
Little update:

-New tree foliage
- New tree trunk
- New bush
- New rock

Does the new tree trunk looks more better? I thought to keep both of them..

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #108 on: October 21, 2012, 01:17:13 pm
Immense progress so far, how inspiring  :y:!

I don't really like the tree on the left in the new version. I don't know, trees don't change color that way do they?

The foliage is really well done, I'll be sure to use those trees for reference to understand how you pulled it off. Just one thing however, I'm surprised not more people commented about this: the trunk looks strange. It's like the foliage and the trunk don't have the same style. The foliage is pretty normal but the trunk is all bent and twisted Tim Burton style and I don't think it goes well together. I hope you'll give the trunk another go so that it fits the style of the foliage better.

As for the rest, it's awesome. It's great to see you persevere and improve at such a fast pace.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #109 on: October 21, 2012, 01:36:24 pm
Immense progress so far, how inspiring  :y:!

Every time I see something wrong in my works i always I'll try to fix it up.. Thank you very much  :y:

I don't really like the tree on the left in the new version. I don't know, trees don't change color that way do they?

Autumn tree blend color but im not sure if they blend color may way  :lol:

Example..

The foliage is really well done, I'll be sure to use those trees for reference to understand how you pulled it off. Just one thing however, I'm surprised not more people commented about this: the trunk looks strange. It's like the foliage and the trunk don't have the same style. The foliage is pretty normal but the trunk is all bent and twisted Tim Burton style and I don't think it goes well together. I hope you'll give the trunk another go so that it fits the style of the foliage better.

:) Im very glad that i can help  someone! Tree Foliage is bunch of leaf and tree is wood.. Im not sure if they should be done in the same style because they are different materials..

As for the rest, it's awesome. It's great to see you persevere and improve at such a fast pace.

Thank you very much!