AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134521 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #70 on: September 29, 2012, 03:56:55 pm
As you can see my rock texture is still shitty and i still struggling with rock and i need practise more.. Now i changed hue and etc.. Wich one fit/looks better? Grass color is new also.. Do you think its too bright?

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #71 on: September 29, 2012, 09:37:09 pm
I like the old grass color more, but prefer the new rock color. One thing that's bugging me is that patch of pure darkness towards the bottom. Always kind of looks like there's two sides and a hole in the middle, with some rocks/cliffs. I don't think that's intended, is it?
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: September 29, 2012, 09:55:06 pm
I think the less detailed version worked better with the style especially since the grass and the road are just flat colors too. You should just put such detail into the objects which should be in the foreground (such as the trees)

I agree..  I think foliage suit better with rock texture..

Here is little update:: New grass, Flower, Stone texture have now much more detail than before. Critic is always welcome.

Its lovely the way you did it and the color usage on the grass, but it doesn't fit the style of the rest of the piece  :-[ it looks like manupix's style.

I would go for something more like this, but don't over use it, just add this grass efect in some places, near trees and whenever you feel like the floor is too empty.
BTW, IMO you should finish all of your ideas instead of posting all the progress and lots of pieces @ PJ. I think you should add a character somewhere. In that mood I would do a character sleeping by the tree or something ;).
I like it a lot, nice improvement.

for some reason it looks like the borders work on the rocks but not on the trees, probably because the trees seem to be more circunferencial and near the borders its already dark and it doesnt add contrast at all, and the rocks do not, the contrast on the tree is good; and I think you don't need any border on them, try to add the same effects to the rocks maybe :p.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:02:15 pm by philippejugnet »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: September 30, 2012, 12:30:32 am
I like the old grass color more, but prefer the new rock color. One thing that's bugging me is that patch of pure darkness towards the bottom. Always kind of looks like there's two sides and a hole in the middle, with some rocks/cliffs. I don't think that's intended, is it?

Its funny because Old and New one have same grass color  ::)... Did you mean something even older grass color?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:32:58 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: September 30, 2012, 01:08:10 am
The color is perceived differently because the environment changed.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: September 30, 2012, 12:09:27 pm
Its funny because Old and New one have same grass color  ::)... Did you mean something even older grass color?

Oh, how very right you are. That is weird. Crammed in these little mockups, though, it does feel more saturated than it did before, which I don't like. I really dig the not so much saturated color of the grass. Keep that! :D

Still, what about that patch of darkness? Any particular reason?
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: September 30, 2012, 06:59:54 pm

Oh, how very right you are. That is weird. Crammed in these little mockups, though, it does feel more saturated than it did before, which I don't like. I really dig the not so much saturated color of the grass. Keep that! :D

Still, what about that patch of darkness? Any particular reason?

It was wip  thats why there was a Patch of darkness...

So here is my new rock  texture..  I belive it has too much highlight but i really I dont know how to make rock without highlight..

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #77 on: September 30, 2012, 07:25:22 pm
Some rock thing I did quite some time ago without super sharp highlights.

I think the main problem you got with your rocks is that they look very regular, too regular anyway, to be natural. I would make the tiles a bit bigger or make more tiles to get more variety.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: October 01, 2012, 09:41:05 am
Some rock thing I did quite some time ago without super sharp highlights.

I think the main problem you got with your rocks is that they look very regular, too regular anyway, to be natural. I would make the tiles a bit bigger or make more tiles to get more variety.

Thank you Ptoing thats helped me a lot <3 Different shapes really make rock better and more natural

Here is update:: It still wip but I like the result..

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:44:23 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #79 on: October 01, 2012, 11:38:18 am
That already is worlds better. Try and pull some of the highlights into the surfaces a bit, not just single pixel razor highlights.

And vary the top and bottom of the tile some.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.