AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134593 times)

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #60 on: September 24, 2012, 06:57:29 pm
I edited a bit the leafs, because I think they need another perspective.

I love that tileset anyway and I think you are doing a brilliant job on it.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: September 28, 2012, 02:47:31 pm
I think the less detailed version worked better with the style especially since the grass and the road are just flat colors too. You should just put such detail into the objects which should be in the foreground (such as the trees)

I agree..  I think foliage suit better with rock texture..

Here is little update:: New grass, Flower, Stone texture have now much more detail than before. Critic is always welcome.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:12:48 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #62 on: September 28, 2012, 03:54:58 pm
I think you might be over-doing it a little with the most recent edit. The detail work you have is all very nice, but it's so dense that I get kind of lost in it. Your ground actually has so much going on that I feel like I shouldn't walk on any of it, for fear of crushing the flowers. The trees might also have a bit too much contrast in comparison to the rest. Everything else is a bit softer looking (in a good way!), like the bush.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: September 28, 2012, 04:13:55 pm
The grass is a bit repetive no? I think fewer/smaller (and maybe more detailed) patches of grass would work better. It shouldn't be a texture but rather a detail.

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: September 28, 2012, 04:39:39 pm
I don't think it's repetitive, so much as filling up a lot of space. I think if you cut down on a lot of that grass it will look way better. Using flowers, rocks and weeds are accents to your map, not the main point. (Unless the weed/rock/flower has a quest or story for it, it should never be the center of your attention.)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: September 28, 2012, 04:53:51 pm
I much prefer the old one, 10-fold. The new flowers, the new grass... it all lost the cartoony, simple charm of the original and now feels like it's too much detail being crammed into a single image.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: September 28, 2012, 07:12:17 pm
Yes you guys are right there is too much grass but I think new grass texture is better than old one.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #67 on: September 28, 2012, 07:52:56 pm
flowers are not quite autumn-themed, are they ?
As for the grass texture, one thing I see that do not work is that you now have larger patches of identical colour, which makes the transition of one colour to the next one more "aggressive" and eye-catching.

It also makes the transition between grass tiles and plain tiles more visible and "griddy". To be honest, I'd keep that new tile for places where you don't have other things (grass-only screens), preferably surrounded by the older pattern as "buffer", since there's more empty space in the older one.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #68 on: September 28, 2012, 07:56:16 pm
I think both are good but extremely repetitive. The older one is more pleasing to the eyes than the newer one, because the grass in the newer one makes too much detail where detail isn't necessary at all. Because you use the same clusters over and over it looks to me more like wall paper than grass.
By mixing some of the new clusters in your old texture, you'll get a touch more variety, but keep the general soft and pleasing appeareance of the old one.

Apart from that I ask myself if it's a good possibility to have texture flowers and object flowers in the same tileset. I had the same problem, but I don't found an answer.

I think that you should alter the bush leaves in the same way like you altered you tree textures. Also making the darkest part (lower half) a bit darker could improve the 3d-ness a bit.

But all in all it looks already great, and if you want to hear my opinion: work on and make more stuff, it's always possible to (ex)change things later. You have a great style there and I wonder how the charakters and the other stuff will look like. If it's for a "real" game it's more important to get lots of stuff done, instead of perfectionizing all in the first round. You'll always find something which you can improve later.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: September 29, 2012, 09:21:09 am
I think both are good but extremely repetitive. The older one is more pleasing to the eyes than the newer one, because the grass in the newer one makes too much detail where detail isn't necessary at all. Because you use the same clusters over and over it looks to me more like wall paper than grass.
By mixing some of the new clusters in your old texture, you'll get a touch more variety, but keep the general soft and pleasing appeareance of the old one.

This is good advice thank you.. I really like make more variety for grass texture and I agree the old one looks more like a wallpaper..

But all in all it looks already great, and if you want to hear my opinion: work on and make more stuff, it's always possible to (ex)change things later. You have a great style there and I wonder how the charakters and the other stuff will look like. If it's for a "real" game it's more important to get lots of stuff done, instead of perfectionizing all in the first round. You'll always find something which you can improve later.

This is my forever project so there is no timeline or budget but i take still this advice so thank you!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:24:06 am by Beetleking22 »