AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134494 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 05:48:30 pm

So I made 4 new color varition.. wich one are better?

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 06:27:48 pm
There is no "better". They are not real variations, juste subtle saturation & contrast adjustments, so it's all about your needs in your game. What feeling this place needs to convey ? Is it a safe place near the beginning of the game, or is it a decaying forest near the evil castle ? This is the kind of question you need to ask yourself.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:30:45 pm by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 06:36:05 pm
You should really tone down the green, large amounts of green hurt.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 08:32:31 pm
There is no "better". They are not real variations, juste subtle saturation & contrast adjustments, so it's all about your needs in your game. What feeling this place needs to convey ? Is it a safe place near the beginning of the game, or is it a decaying forest near the evil castle ? This is the kind of question you need to ask yourself.

That is good point but Im not going to use these adjustment for other places.. I want those for only 1 place.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:34:35 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 09:23:37 pm
You should really tone down the green, large amounts of green hurt.

The green is of low saturation in the original mockup and both #1 and #2 of Beetleking's color variations. I find it rather pleasing actually. Have you tried looking at it on another screen?
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: September 21, 2012, 12:01:44 am
That is good point but Im not going to use these adjustment for other places.. I want those for only 1 place.

Then you would need more than just different saturation adjustments. You need some trees that are more brown, some trees that are more yellow and some trees that are more red. (Adjusting the levels would look silly.) It's all in the leaves. Also the grass looks a little too lively. It's autumn, so there should be leaves on the ground.

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: September 21, 2012, 03:49:47 am
I prefer #1 and #3. Probably #3 if I had to pick.

Their angularity is obviously part of the style, but I think that the leaves could be arranged better, to make sure that the foliage is round.

I'd also consider adding a bit more AA to the rocks, just on the jaggier angles between higher-contrast areas:

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: September 21, 2012, 08:20:49 am
I prefer #1 and #3. Probably #3 if I had to pick.

Their angularity is obviously part of the style, but I think that the leaves could be arranged better, to make sure that the foliage is round.

I'd also consider adding a bit more AA to the rocks, just on the jaggier angles between higher-contrast areas:

Yeah that was the style thats why I didint want putt too much AA.

Then you would need more than just different saturation adjustments. You need some trees that are more brown, some trees that are more yellow and some trees that are more red. (Adjusting the levels would look silly.) It's all in the leaves. Also the grass looks a little too lively. It's autumn, so there should be leaves on the ground.

I know that I wantend make hue saturation change because the old one had low saturation. That was it..

New update: tree leaves.. Imo I like new one more much better than old one because now there is much more leaf variation than old one

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:23:11 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #48 on: September 21, 2012, 09:21:03 am
#3 or #4 gets my preference, but I'm loving friendly and warm atmosphere in videogames, so that dictate my choice. Instead, *your* choice should be dictated by the atmosphere you want to create. Bright green is fine for younger (or nostalgic) audience who'd rather slice rabbites and pumpkins than zombies or freaky monsters.
At a second look, colours in #3 could be slightly over-burnt and #4 would be my final preference.

The new tree has definitely a more interesting volume and the smaller leaves imho work very well: they're better blending into a general shape and do no longer draw so much attention. I'll have to study how you managed to do that.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: September 21, 2012, 09:43:30 am
#3 or #4 gets my preference, but I'm loving friendly and warm atmosphere in videogames, so that dictate my choice. Instead, *your* choice should be dictated by the atmosphere you want to create. Bright green is fine for younger (or nostalgic) audience who'd rather slice rabbites and pumpkins than zombies or freaky monsters.
At a second look, colours in #3 could be slightly over-burnt and #4 would be my final preference.

The new tree has definitely a more interesting volume and the smaller leaves imho work very well: they're better blending into a general shape and do no longer draw so much attention. I'll have to study how you managed to do that.

If you want study this better than me i suggest some slym works  :y:

Little update: Now with outline and better trunk

Huge improvement Thank you all guys! ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:22:25 pm by Beetleking22 »