AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134499 times)

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset Wip

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 05:31:34 pm
Beetleking22, it might look simple now, but in context with foliage and other things thrown into the mix it might work, or it might not. Simply by itself there's not much we can critique on. But do take PypeBros critique into good consideration, breaking formality is great (Breaking the grid I think they call it) as he has shown, as is the opposite,  perfecting it(Have a look at TomF's work). Two totally different things, but both work in my own experiance.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 09:51:56 pm
Thank you very much Facet!  Im going to practise this thing..

Here is my ground tileset...  What you guys think? Do you think it is too simple? I have seen in many game simple ground tiles but I think this is too simple..

Most of all, it's very square-ish. For leaves patch, organic boundaries would be better.

I'm applying the "seam points" technique posted some times ago by some folk here, but I failed to find the original post.
You might want to have diagonal tiles for such patches, not only squares (unless you're definitely focusing on "a screen-sized patch of no-leaves on which fighting can take place, of course).

:'( Omg how i didn't notice that.. Thank you!

Jim16

Its seems like it work but  when I put some shade in the ground tiles it does not look good with rest. I want look at Tomfs work but i dont know where I can Finds is works Lol xD.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:07:38 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 10:19:24 pm

That is a good example of TomF's recent work. With such a vivid and lively palette and rendering, it's obvious you're trying to go for something completely different. But as you can see, he embraces the grid on his tiles. I think that is what Jim16 meant.

Anyways, I think you should experiment around with some mockups and variations, and see what you like the best.

Based on your original mockup, though, it's already looking quite good, me and many others love the style, try not to lose that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:20:56 pm by Dr D »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 08:20:43 am
Its seems like it work but  when I put some shade in the ground tiles it does not look good with rest. I want look at Tomfs work but i dont know where I can Finds is works Lol xD.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/12821.htm
and 2dhero.com, iirc.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 01:04:42 pm

That is a good example of TomF's recent work. With such a vivid and lively palette and rendering, it's obvious you're trying to go for something completely different. But as you can see, he embraces the grid on his tiles. I think that is what Jim16 meant.

Anyways, I think you should experiment around with some mockups and variations, and see what you like the best.

Based on your original mockup, though, it's already looking quite good, me and many others love the style, try not to lose that.

I love TomF works very much but my style is much simpler than Tomf. I tried to test how it looks if i make very similar leaf texture than Tomf.. And this is the result. I added more than green color imo because it looked boring with my green colors.

My style is little bit like zelda and mother 3 mix. I like very simple style.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:11:29 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 07:56:58 am
But as you can see, [TomF] embraces the grid on his tiles
Please, enlighten me. I don't see grid embracing, to be honest.

I do see corners that have been round-shaped,
I do see grass pattern that's up to 32x32 in size while grass patches are at most 8x8
I do see grass-to-dirt boundaries that use value to promote the illusion of irregular shape while hue gives a clue on where the collision box for sprites stand.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 01:00:08 pm
Well you can still clearly see each area and where the border goes.
It doesn't have to be completely straight and square to be "embracing the grid".
If he wasn't embracing the grid, there would be a lot more variation in the tiles and additional tiles to break things up.

What game is that btw? Looks great!

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 04:33:20 pm
So there is my Solid rock texture  wip and it was hard to make  :'( any critic about this one?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:40:24 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 07:12:01 pm
Perhaps larger or more straight shapes and harsher shadows, it looks a bit leaves now..
Wait, I think I see what you're going for now. Perhaps use gray rocks or darker brown to make it stand out more.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:14:29 pm by Seiseki »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 09:14:07 am
If he wasn't embracing the grid, there would be a lot more variation in the tiles and additional tiles to break things up.
Oh, I see.
"one 32x32 <ground/wall/left-border/right-border/whatever> tile ought to be enough for everybody".
That kind of embracing.

He did it well, indeed.