AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134539 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset Wip

Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 09:22:57 pm

Perhaps larger or more straight shapes and harsher shadows, it looks a bit leaves now..

Yeah i agree.. Larger rocks seems like a realistic. So i made some of rock much larger.. I believe that this rock lack of brightness..

Wait, I think I see what you're going for now. Perhaps use gray rocks or darker brown to make it stand out more.

Im not sure but  I loved that Indigo pixel work where there was Brown and Grey color mixed in his rocks..

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 11:55:37 am
I've been staring at this for a while, but I'm confused by exactly what's happening in the bottom half of the image - is it a dark hole? or a pile of dark brown mud?

I like the top half (and your colour choice in general is very nice), but you might need to push the contrast on the rocks up a bit to make it easily readable as a solid obstruction. (Though it's somewhat hard to judge in isolation)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 04:35:01 pm
I've been staring at this for a while, but I'm confused by exactly what's happening in the bottom half of the image - is it a dark hole? or a pile of dark brown mud?

I like the top half (and your colour choice in general is very nice), but you might need to push the contrast on the rocks up a bit to make it easily readable as a solid obstruction. (Though it's somewhat hard to judge in isolation)

Better  ???

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:43 pm
I have been always struggling when I'm drawing a rock texture for rpg game or Side Scroll.. I really want understand  how make a proper and nice Rock texture. Can you guys give me a lesson to my head  :yell:

I do always so many rock texture but I never like Them so I throw them into the trash because there is always something  I dont like it.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 01:47:10 pm
I love drawing rock textures! 

Here's a couple I've made:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1534394/cave_tiles.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1534394/penguin_map.png

Here are some other inspirations:
http://kennethfejer.com/images/dustmountain.png  (Kenneth Fejer's work).
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/114/reviews/938078_20070425_screen001.jpg (Beyond Oasis on megadrive)

I think about mine as being quite angular, where yours appear smooth.  But if they're a bit sharper, you can make some nice shapes by thinking about the colours of each face.  And you can have some nice areas where the edges between two faces can catch the light if the rocks are big enough. 

Having said that I quite like your last one (top right), maybe just needs a wider tile (/two tiles) for variation. 

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 02:24:52 pm
What you seem to be struggling with is how to represent the surface angles of the rocks- how to shade and define edges.
I did some videos in the past pertaining rocks that you may find useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAGokCLaAHk <- talking about surfaces/angles and stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwmlaXdP1mA <- recording of me pixeling some rock stuff

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 04:28:29 pm
Yeah, your rockface does look quite flat because you're concentrating on texturing a single surface rather than modelling form proper. There's myriad ways to evoke rocks of course but a lot concentrate on sharply differentiated planes. Previous thread on the subject here.

I've put some ideas down here for a better sense of dimension; first I'd think about darkening the face as a whole to make explicit the obstacle (that you can't walk on it) by extension I'd go for more of a lip on the sides to try and migate some of the ineveitable height parsing issues in this kind of view. You can also try and reinforce the base foreshortening factor in your texturing by keeping elements broader than taller. You're already suggesting a nice vertical gradient (light>dark/high>low) which is great for depth so keep doing that ;D.

I merged your threads since they're concerning the same tileset and it's easier to follow that way. In the future just change the title of the thread. :y:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:24:01 pm by Facet »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 09:31:15 am
Thank you rikfuzz, Alex Hanson-White, Facet  I'm really grateful for this knowledge.. I learned a lot and im going to learn more! :y: I'm very sorry facet that I made another Theard  :ouch:

I did this edit quickly it is little bit mess but I fix it later... Now there is less flat than before and I added some light and dark shadow in middle.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:31:28 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 06:34:34 pm
No problem and no need to apologise, keep at it :)

I think you could go a lot further; you're still using many small, consistently sized particles and just adding a highlight/column. Here's a rounded 'hunks' example with more variation and sense of form. Try thinking about form by working dark to light, starting really simply with a variety of shapes in midtones and adding flat shades by thinking about where light might fall on them.

If you really want to understand the idea thoroughly so that you can apply it in other situations I'd experiment, very roughly, with many different approaches. I edited my previous examples with another pattern too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:37:13 pm by Facet »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 07:29:06 pm
No problem and no need to apologise, keep at it :)

I think you could go a lot further; you're still using many small, consistently sized particles and just adding a highlight/column. Here's a rounded 'hunks' example with more variation and sense of form. Try thinking about form by working dark to light, starting really simply with a variety of shapes in midtones and adding flat shades by thinking about where light might fall on them.

If you really want to understand the idea thoroughly so that you can apply it in other situations I'd experiment, very roughly, with many different approaches. I edited my previous examples with another pattern too.

Okay i'm trying understand this but those tiles need to be a also repeated.. I tried to make different shapes rock .. It is still wip...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:48:28 pm by Beetleking22 »