AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134160 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset

on: September 07, 2012, 06:23:13 am
Hello guys Im making a old school Snes/Gba Jrpg game and I want critisim about my autumn tile works.  This is my first time working on rpg tileset so I expect that there are errors in my work.

Trees-

Many have said that those trees have obvious perspective problem.. How I can fix that Perspective? That is my first tree And I'm not good at them.

Here is some works.

What you guys think?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:12:01 pm by Cyangmou »

Offline Lóng

• Sometimes the scary spider is just a pile of dust.
    • View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset Wip

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:32:29 am
I think these look great, I like the pixeling and the colors going on here, the only thing I feel needs to be altered is that the trunks could be darkened up a bit to show that they are under the treetop.

Maybe something in this direction.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:31:28 am by Lóng »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:27:04 am
the only thing that bugs me is that the tree top seems to be tilted back. the trunk looks fine, compared to the floor. meaning it seems to share the same perspective lines. but the tree top looks like its falling back.
part I think because you see the back of the treetop lower then then from. which sugests it is sort of tilting back.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:23:22 am
very lovely. I got the same feeling of the tree being non-vertical, but to be honest, I can live with a forest where trees are not vertical. I'm surprised that the top of the tree's canopy is so smooth, almost like an old-fashioned haystack :-/

those little patterns for flowers and grass are just marvelous!
How do you build such tree canopy, btw ? Do you have like a leaf-brush that you plot in due places, or do you rather go "it's not that hard to draw them all" ?

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 02:21:47 pm
Thank you guys from criticism I hope I don't disappointed you with my edit..

PypeBros..

I dont use leaf brush to make my leaf effect on tree..I first draw those triangle leaf and  I make 4 different type of triangle leaf and then I put them in shadows of tree canon one by one.  I hope you understood  :crazy:

Thank you

Kazuya Mochu 

Long!

PypeBros..
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:38:07 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 04:04:43 pm
Really nice colours 'n flowers 'n stuff so far, more please ;D.

I don't think the view is that far off really (assuming 'RPG perspective') To avoid potential issues try mapping stuff onto and around a really basic wireframe like so and have a read of Cyangmou's thorough illustrated explanation here if you haven't already.

Some important stuff you could do to reinforce the projection:
  • Overlap often to display priority. Try covering more of the trunk with the canopy, it looks a bit like the trunk is in front here.
  • Similarily, cement a connection with the ground plane by placing roots behind the trunk as well as in front to avoid a cardboard cut-out effect. Try working upwards from a 'footprint' instead of fumbling for purchase when you reach the floor.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:09:55 pm by Facet »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 05:14:43 pm
Holy shit that edit  :'( Here is my wip edit...  How the heck you did so good tree cornes I mean leaf cornes..???

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:04:37 pm
To try and avoid the impression of it being a smooth object with a flat drawing on it I just overlapped the borders and selectively outlined on the undersides. I've diagramed that and also generally how I'd use guidelines to map details onto contours convincingly ; getting progressively more shear as the form does. Hope it helps.

More autumnal ideas: Piles of leaves, ferns, fruit/nuts on the trees, ripe grain, brambles, pumpkins. Hedgehogs and foxes and squirrels. *wistful sigh*
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:25:41 pm by Facet »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 12:19:48 pm
To try and avoid the impression of it being a smooth object with a flat drawing on it I just overlapped the borders and selectively outlined on the undersides. I've diagramed that and also generally how I'd use guidelines to map details onto convincing contours; getting progressively more shear as the form does. Hope it helps.

More autumnal ideas: Piles of leaves, ferns, fruit/nuts on the trees, ripe grain, brambles, pumpkins. Hedgehogs and foxes and squirrels. *wistful sigh*

Thank you very much Facet!  Im going to practise this thing..

Here is my ground tileset...  What you guys think? Do you think it is too simple? I have seen in many game simple ground tiles but I think this is too simple..

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 03:28:05 pm
Thank you very much Facet!  Im going to practise this thing..

Here is my ground tileset...  What you guys think? Do you think it is too simple? I have seen in many game simple ground tiles but I think this is too simple..

Most of all, it's very square-ish. For leaves patch, organic boundaries would be better.

I'm applying the "seam points" technique posted some times ago by some folk here, but I failed to find the original post.
You might want to have diagonal tiles for such patches, not only squares (unless you're definitely focusing on "a screen-sized patch of no-leaves on which fighting can take place, of course).