AuthorTopic: Election Information Center  (Read 10337 times)

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Election Information Center

on: August 22, 2005, 12:12:30 am
If you have questions about representatives or the election, ask here! We'll try to answer the important details.

Voting begins some time on or just before Thursday, August 25th, and ends some time on Thursday, September 1st. September 1st is the first day of the Fall quarter. The quarter ends November 30th.

You must be confirmed as a candidate before the election begins to be included in the vote.

There will be 4 voting booths. While we hope you spread your voting among different candidates, you may vote for the same person in all booths or you may vote for someone different in every booth, or any other combination so long as you vote no more than 4 times. The important thing is to vote! When the election is done, the results from each booth shall be added together and the top four candidates will take their seats accordingly. In the case of a tie in which  the 4th ranking candidates tie, the election will resume for 24 more hours until voting resolves the issue.

Current candidates are:
Alex
Blick
BrotherInWar
Dogmeat
Panda
StairwaytoEvan

Good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 04:44:18 am by Peppermint Pig »

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Re: Election Information Center

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:32:02 am
I will be on vacation from Aug 26th until Sept 5.  I shall be relaxing in Florida so I will not know the results nor will I be able to take office on that day until I come home (that’s saying I get a seat).  I might be able to sneak a few mins online but no guarantees.  Sorry to take away from the questions.  I had to post this where it would be seen so you will know what happened to me when I slip under the radar.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 12:35:43 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:25:55 pm
What do you mean by "take their seats?"

Like, the fewer votes you get, the lower you rank, or is it like, number 1 is peer mod first, then number 2 second, and so on?

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:49:12 pm
By the looks of things, and I'm just trying to be observant, it seems almost as if pep were asking each of us specific questions, almost like we were being considered for a specific main "job" as a rep, I don't know how it will be structured, but maybe we will all be in charge of a certain thing, like a rep for critique, a rep for control, etc..

Pep, is there any way that you can outline for us, what exactly the positions are, and the responsibilities?

- Dog
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 01:48:27 am
Evan, Dogmeat, to answer your questions...

There are four booths, but they only serve to give everyone four opportunities to vote. The person with the most votes combined is considered seat #1, second most is seat #2, etc.

The seat rankings are not meant to define your positions: I ask different questions of each of you to see how you fare in particular areas, but I could just as well ask the same questions of all of you. I was trying to motivate people to think and ask questions so they can make educated decisions. It's nice to have a variety of reps that use different methods to see which are best. The seat ranks are not meant to identify which representative has more power over another, but there are situations in which rank does matter: When ever we add, or specifically, remove a seat, at the end of the quarter it will no longer exist, and that may have effects on the final seat rank #.

Unless you want to start some project or activity, there's really no obligation to it. Your responsibilities and rights are:

You may enforce the rules via vigilance: Remind a member to behave and/or read the Rules/FAQ. If that member persists to misbehave and/or ignore the authority, it is grounds for a vote to add a strike to their record, granted a staff member is aware of the situation. This is akin to an etiquette issue.

Furthermore, you will have your own forum section to post on issues. So if member X is misbehaving on an etiquette issue, you can deal with that via a vote. If its a rule violation, just let a mod know.

You'll have some power to overturn mod judgements too, but I don't have that clarified yet, so just be patient :)

You're also welcome to create activities, but you are certainly not required to. To avoid rep arguements on challenges, I think a voting system will keep everything running smoothly. How the reps vote or decide on what challenge, I would rather leave that up to you. I may give you powers to pin your own topics for challenges perhaps.

Here are some guidelines that might work out:
Activities require a minimum of 48 hours to be voted upon.
Activities must receive a 3/4 majority in a vote to be approved.
etc...

Give me some time and I will hammer out a guide you can use to keep things running smoothly.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 01:51:43 am
Wonderful.

But to clarify, when you say remove a seat, are you saying that the higher in rank, the longer the term, or what?

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 01:53:33 am
Nope. Everyone shares a term of equal length.

1. March 1st
   2. June 1st
   3. September 1st
   4. December 1st

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 06:39:31 pm
This will probably make me sound like a lame ass or something at this point, but all this election thing got me thinking, and er... yeah power nor high ranks are my thing at all, nor responsability in a huge waz I guess.
As sedgemonkey mentioned in my thread, I can still help without any special rank nor stuff.
I just found today something more important to spend my time on, and would like to dedicate more time on it, so er... yeah dropping off this thing, throwing the towel and coming back to my way.
It was nice dreaming, but yeah, gotta feed myself.
Ah well, good luck to the rest, and well feel free to close my thread :0

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 07:08:50 pm
Rawk on Anna \m/
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 07:28:51 pm
Panda you would have been a great addition to the team.  Wait, so what your saying Pep is they wont all be Reps at the same time?  Depending on your number of votes is when you are put into term or are those the 4 terms of the year?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 07:42:09 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team: