AuthorTopic: GR#108 - Wangsta Chick - Sprite Process  (Read 23207 times)

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

GR#108 - Wangsta Chick - Sprite Process

on: June 24, 2012, 12:47:55 am
Progress -- Last Updated 7/27/2012

-->-->-->-->-->-->-->
  (pre-thread)

Before I start, this lady has nothing to do with Lindsay Lohan.  :blind:

I started working on this a week ago and I'm a little lost and in need of advice.
Among other things, I'm stumped by the hands. I'm going for a Vulcan salute-like gang sign, but whenever I get to actually fleshing out the gesture it's a disaster. Also, I'm no good with jewelry--I'm going for something big and ostentatious, and while it's certainly those things... I just don't like how it's coming along aside from the detail on the eye.

I welcome all C + C given. I'll post more sprites once I'm satisfied with how I finish this one; don't want to get back into the habit of having a million unfinished WIPs.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:09:44 pm by Bissle »

Offline Boondocker

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Battle Sprite(s): Gangsta Chick

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:23:13 am
The stance looks unbalanced, it looks like she will fall backwards, perhaps try placing her feet directly under her body or widen her stance.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 01:42:25 pm
Well, just by looking at her, I want to punch her in the face, same as every other "gangsta" I've met. So I guess you're doing an accurate job. XD
I like the art, though! And I'm assuming her stance is a moving one, like she'll be dancing back and forth, so it looks good to me. The jewelry looks fine to me! A little weird, but it's a fighting game, right? Will it shoot lasers out of it? X3

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 01:49:40 pm
I kinda like her pose and here stature in general. Not too skinny. For my taste. :)

The face features don't appear enough clear to me. Dunno if that is relevant to you.

Not sure if this helps, but did you think of her wearing fingerless gloves?

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Battle Sprite(s):Wangsta Chick

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:03:22 pm
@ Boondocker: Balance has been a problem from the beginning. I was thinking of it being one frame of a drunken stumble, like she was trying to balance herself, but even so, it would have been best to start off with a neutral pose in the first place. I will certainly work towards widening her stance.

For what's it worth, here is what her pose looked like when I first started working on it, which was even more imbalanced.

@jams0988: Haha, just as planned. The medallion is just for show, but that is actually not a bad idea. XD

@Lachie Dazdarian: Thanks; the unclear nature of the face is concerning me; one of the reasons I like to make sprites of this size is to give my characters some individuality in their faces. I think her face was actually better in the first one--the cigarette adds more to the wangsta look I'm going for, but at the same time... eh, I'll just try for more extreme colors maybe. The fingerless gloves are a good call!

And here is what I have now. I actually put some effort into the hat (somewhere between a baseball cap and beer bottle hat), made another attempt on the hands, worked on the chain, and doodled some boots.

When I do finish this, definitely gonna see into reducing the color count. Right now it's about 40 after reducing the palette.  :o

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:43:29 pm

As already pointed out, she's completely out of balance - her weight passed both knees. Even if it'd be an extreme of an animation, it would be to much but you want to have a neutral pose. If she's be leaning against a wall, all would be fine, but for a standing pose it's simply too much. CHeck out some reference photos for a more accurate pose. You just have to re-draw the legs.
Another thing I just wanted to know: Is it intended that she has arms like a midget? I don't know but I think it's fun to draw gangstaz with arms like midgets and I really like it.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:04:45 pm
just because she's upright doesn't mean she needs to be standing straight. Bissle said it wasn't suppose to be a solid stance, she could be dancing or having some momentum involved with her position. We don't even know where the floor is anyways, so all these observations are only conjecture.
You're new edit Bissle look nice. The hat looks well rendered and the hands seem to be coming along.
While the arms look short, this could be due to how they are shaded(how the form is curved).. for instance the elbow closest to us- the shading on the arm near the joint goes this way ).. when I think it would look better this way ( ..
You may need to lengthen the top of the arm anyways as it is hard to bend you arm that far back like that.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:05 pm
"Gangstaz need to be cool, they don't need balance!!"

Haha, love it!

I don't know; both Cyangmou and Alex have some points. I was definitely going for a drunken stance, so perfect balance is undesirable, but at the same time, there is something about the legs that make the pose not look entirely right to me. The original stance stance looked really really bad, hence why I changed the right leg. Now I'm not liking how the left leg looks; I have the feeling that if she were to be standing perfectly straight, one would be longer than the other. Either way, her legs require more attention.

Now regarding the arms, I didn't even realize it until it was pointed out to me! Even foreshortening doesn't excuse the length of the arms, particularly the right one. The stubby fingers are just me sucking at hands. XD

Back to the drawing board! Hopefully will be able to update this tomorrow morning. Thanks for the C+C so far!

EDIT 6/27/2012:

Finally able to update this.

I started off trying to figure out what was off about the balance. Cyangmou's edit gave me an idea, but I was still stumped. I did some more resrach on balance, posture, center of gravity. I tried to make that pose myself in a mirror. I took off the clothing layer and made a line of balance myself. (Underwear added because I don't feel like adding a [Barbie doll nudity] tag.  :lol:).

Which led to...

I lengthened the arms, changed her left arm entirely, and modified the legs and feet to put them on the same plane. The changes I made to the legs are kinda subtle; I don't want to drastically change the pose, but if it needs to happen, it needs to happen.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:24:27 am by Bissle »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 03:22:47 pm
Definitely better than before. Usually if it's a stand it's always balnced. Even drunk are balanced in some way, but they are walking in small steps at their place, or so. I don't have exactly your picture in my mind, but I think it'd be better if you scribble your animation with line-drawings first, before you carry on with drawing out your sprite, because otherwise it could be that you have to rework all again.

Also some vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yg7KL4v1w0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SPjy5RlqFE

They are out of balance, like yours, but the walk backwards... my edit is maybe not the best if you imagined somewhat different.

I simply balanced your sprite more with the steps I showed you in the scheme above (red arrows, a bit exaggerated, just to make it clear). This would be more neutral and static then.
Her hands are a bit big. making them smaller would give her a more lady-like appeareance.
It's also herd to see how her arms are bend, but usually the handwrist is at the same height level as the end of the torso in a static front view.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:28:24 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 05:41:02 pm
I hate that it got to the point where you had to edit the sprite for me to understand, but I appreciate it beyond words. In addition to being more balanced your pose is more pleasing to the eye than mine. Her arms are supposed to be partially stretched out, and none of my attempts really make it look that way at all. Time to dust off the sketchbook and do some heavy referencing before I continue.  Those big hands and stubby fingers are going to a nightmare to get right!

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 05:29:39 am
great visual assistance Cyangmou, and nice perseverance and eagerness to improve Bissle

one thing I've noticed by looking at not only this but your recent work is a need for improvement in limbs mostly, I hope you don't mind pulling another older work in here to show some suggestions and visual critique.
edit:

the arm is the major issue there, and it was present on the majority of the animations frames, and personally that leg angle looked extremely awkward to me, anatomically plausible maybe, but yeah there's some suggestions, whilst not perfect hopefully it illustrates some areas I think you should concentrate on and think more about.

here's a quick edit on top of Cyangmou's rebalance adjustment

some tips and suggestions on how to tackle the limbs, a trick would be to add wrap around accessories, bands etc to the arms or legs to reinforce the direction they are flowing, it's a common used method and it works, it's especially hard to capture foreshortening effectively and harder still in pixel art and art that has stylistic emphasis on it's 2D nature, and pixel art in particular

also she looks as though she has no panties or any garments at all under the Jersey so the short tights is another suggestion and would help reinforce the volume of the legs

also one thing in particular I've noticed is the knee definition or rather a lack of, reference

it helps to reinforce the angularity even if subtly on the knees, at the moment they are almost depicting nothing more than bends in a cylinder that would be the legs, and I didn't do much work on the arms but I think the rear (her left) needs quite a bit of adjustment

hopefully this is helpful keep at it :y:

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 07:04:06 am
Using Cyangmou's video ref I came up with this:

The unexpected thing about it is that making his top half lean back actually makes him appear MORE balanced, which is contrary to how i would think about it in my mind.
But when I tried this pose physically I realized why.
Sure hes leaning back, but really hes pushing his hips forward.
Feeling it out this puts alot of pressure on the pelvis and abs.
The top half of the body is basically "hanging" from the lower half, which is doing all the work to hold this guy up.

I found this interesting so I thought about it some more.
The generic center of gravity in the body is relatively low, and even lower in women.
It seems that keeping the upper body vertical or leaning forward can be associated with sitting down, which is why it feels like she is falling over.
When we go to sit down we lead with our ass and lean foreword, using the low center of gravity to gravitate us to the chair.
The opposite happens if we were to notice a thumbtack on the chair, the upper half leans back and we lead with the hips forward gravitating away from the chair:

Of course these are exaggerations, but in art that's a good thing.
Really these could be even more exaggerated and work just fine.
Especially as part of an animation.

I'd like to do an edit but don't have the time at the moment.
Cool design.
With some more work you'll end up with something really nice.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:14:19 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 03:16:57 am
I didn't want to post again until I had made some progress... and then decided that's gonna take too long and posted anyway.

@Grimsame: Thank you for addressing the recurring problem I have with limbs. As far as her outfit, I guess I should explain what I'm doing. Ultimately, this lady is a parody of this character from the 90s RPG Xenogears--a soldier(!!) who walks around in a minidress with slits on the side and pantyhose (really, Square?)--as a gangsta rapper. Women wearing sport jerseys as dresses, or "jersey dresses" (fortunately for the design, unfortunately for my eyes back in the day) was a style in hip hop circles about 10 years ago. Giving her leggings is something I would do otherwise, but it would take away from what I'm going for. I actually tried to lengthen the jersey dress itself, but it ended up leaving so much empty space, I'd either have to  lengthen the medallion (which I ended up doing anyway to a lesser extent), or add more "pizazz"to the jersey itself, which I don't want to do for a lot of reasons. And the no-pants look makes her look more trashy, which is a plus.   :crazy:

@PixelPiledriver: Really, really helpful; when I get to animation, I will use that as a reference! I could see what you did actually working as a tutorial *hint* *hint*.

Despite it not really showing, I've been driving myself crazy trying to work on this. I eventually gave up trying to modify the pose as it was, so I went ahead and widened her stance, which hopefully makes balance less of an issue; I'm hoping it's not another bow-legged mess like that old sprite Grimsane pointed out. I added more definition to her legs. Reduced color count from 47 to somewhere in the mid-30s. Did away with a lot of the excessive selout. Did some tentative work on the arms to make them look more natural. Changed the facial expression from "look at me, I'm all hardcore!!"  to something I hope comes off as something between high and smug. In the process of making footwear leather zip-up boots like in the concept art.

Now I can sleep! Yes...! ... yes!

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 04:41:24 am
completely different dynamic (and therefore persona) now,
i find the face hard to immediately read, at glance her mouth looks more like a band-aid so it takes a moment of staring to pick up on the expression,
and I think the pink strip of pixels (rosy cheeks?) is a bit disruptive to the overall readability of the face, and to me the left leg looks quite awkward almost dislocated from her hips relative to her other leg position

I might add the dynamic you had before leaned toward implying she was in the middle of a kinetic activity like break-dancing and general hyperactive hip-hoppery now she  leaning toward implying she's a tough no nonsense bitch :lol:

and those boots  :blind: if you're pushing her trashiness more so I guess it's a step in the right direction, keep persevering  ;D

O-T: oh damn I just acquired Xenogears awhile ago and haven't got around to playing it, always wanted to get it when I was younger after seeing it in magazines, I got a game to play  :crazy:

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 10:25:48 am
Hey, who says she can't be both?  :hehe: I'm going to go back to something approaching my original idea when I get to the point of animation, but having been recommended a more static pose to start with, this will suffice; it'll certainly help me perfect what I'm trying to do before I proceed to anything more complicated.

Hmm, by left leg, do you mean her left leg, or the left leg from our view (her right, the one I changed a lot). Whether a sign of an easily swayed mind or poor anatomy, I now look at both legs and can see how either one could appear dislocated.

What could I do to make the facial features more clear? Lachie Dazdarian brought that up early on, and her face being hard to read bothers me more than anything honestly. More contrast in her complexion? Extra color to add more volume? Get rid of the blunt? Quit trying to fit detail into 16 pixels?

I forgot to mention I did follow your suggestion in adding arm accessories; the yellow thing is eventually going to be a tattoo. As of what I'm working on right now, it's purple (not trying to increase the color count again).

O-T: Nice! I totally recommend you play it. It's very much a love it or hate it game. I think it had a lot of potential, but ultimately I think the plot was one not suited for a video game. Despite what I wrote earlier, this lady was created from a twisted form of what could be called love.   :D

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 12:26:05 pm
I meant the barely touched one, her left.

rough edit with some suggestions

one way to keep the blunt and add to the readability of the face, and save your smoke effect  :D

I think the face is well done readability aside.

and I recognized the arm feature instantly :lol: wondered if it was jewelry or what though being gold n all.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 12:51:43 am
I did fix the legs shortly after Grimsane's update. I tried having her hold her cigarette, but honestly, I didn't want her hands to be occupied--I want gang signs!  :D I made the actual blunt much longer so that it distracts less from he face while still allowing me to keep the smoke effect. I ended up redoing the arms, as well:

Before I got to flesh out the gang signs and the boots, I just... more or less got bored with the pose and decided to try again from scratch, based partially on PixelPiledriver's  observations, with her upper body leaning back and lower body trying to achieve balance:

Just a rough blob of pixels that will be fleshed out once I make up my mind. I got an opinion from someone to the effect that my first pose was ultimately more characterful. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:47:02 am by Bissle »

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 04:00:44 am
In every image except the very first, her spine is vertical and her shoulders are level.  This pretty much drives her hips to be level too, although the torso could still twist.  Add in basic balance and you end up with a fairly static pose.  Works fine for a model sheet, not so good for in-game if she is meant to be a hip-hop dancer.

The newest 'blob' image improves on the stiff back, but the balance fails in the same way as previous images.  All the weight is coming down on one leg, on the toes, and the longer leg is just kind of hanging out there.  Yet the hips are level.  Compare the position of the feet to where they are in PixelPiledriver's image.  The leading foot in his image (shorter leg in your image) is out in front of the hips, not underneath.

If the was a tweener and she was pivoting her longer leg around behind the shorter one then you could get away with it, but even then the hips probably aren't going to stay level for more than a frame.  Or if she was in the middle of stumbling forward.  But otherwise fix the pose before adding any more detail.  Keep a curve in the spine, just improve the distribution of mass.

Tourist

Edit: didn't mean to sound quite so harsh.  I think you've got a solid character design and I like how you've done the hair.  The dynamic pose is better.  But I see a recurring problem with balance and positioning the legs.  I don't have a good solution.  Maybe try some gesture sketches on paper?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:15:39 am by Tourist »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 09:43:23 pm

I'm not suggesting you get rid of the eye necklace by not drawing it.
Just didn't get to it.
Will edit in more text later.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 03:52:36 pm
As I told you before, *amazing* take on her, PixelPiledriver! You got her character down! You made the purple leggings/hose look pretty good, I was this close to adding them myself. Really the only thing stopping me is I already have a character wearing leggings and I don't want the designs to seem redundant. I love that lighter--makes me think of a firecracker. My favorite part in the process was the one with the smoke spelling "Yo". Thank you!

I have to head to work, like, right now, but wanted to post this before going. I'll add more details to this post when I have time.

EDIT: OK, have some time. Before I saw that edit, I was making it look like the one with the blue line indicating balance and center of mass... I was just going to post some progress when I saw it, and I thought, "I have to work on this some more", and after a few days of ruminating I came up with the above. The shadow was last minute, and I didn't redo the chain, so they don't mesh too well currently. I noticed that I had made her hair big to the point where combined with the hat, it added something like 3-4 inches to her height,  so I reduced the top some.

As it is going to have animations, all of the previous versions and all the edits will be factored in when I get to animating. I can't let that blunt and the smoke effect go unused.  ;D

I don't consider this finished to 100% satisfaction, but with the exception of the fingerless gloves it is pretty much fully rendered and I want to work on something else. I have a whole lot of WIPs that I am going to post here when I am able.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:04:45 pm by Bissle »

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 08:34:31 pm
It was really great seeing this piece develop.

That's what I love so much about pixel art. The actual process is super-fun, both to watch or go through yourself. Unlike game design, where I'm more proficient and have different experience. I dislike WIP games and extreme development.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:57 am
the skirt had nice movement shadow on frame #4 and #5, and then you dropped that for something more flat.
Great style and progress, otherwise.
I still spot very sharp edges on her cap (vertical-45°-horizontal) which look a bit weird, and a tendency to have broken outlines on skirt and legs.

The trick of using a placeholder color for fingers when drawing hands looks like helping a lot. I'm taking good note of that.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 07:55:10 pm
I can see some volume inconsistencies with the leg, and her left knee is too low or her right knee is a tad to high, in your blockout you had foreshortening so it wasn't so bad, but now they seem to clash on all limbs in the background looking a bit too thin, you haven't established depth with the palette you could try darkening the rear limbs to simulate foreshortening like you did to some extent in your block in, because using the same shading colours has brought them onto the same plane and while done often in 2D it requires the removal of any foreshortening, and I just watched your progress, I think your last iteration you attempted to define the knee and inadvertently pulled it down a bit

here's an edit I did whilst trying initially to just fix the arm but noticed a few things, the knees probably both need to be adjusted as opposed to what I just did. but I should just mention I think you are still having some problems defining the limbs volume, mostly the elbows and knees, I might add the definition and shape in the blockout's limbs was quite good in that regard

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 01:53:51 pm
Let me take that back--when I was saying I wasn't done to 100% satisfaction, I should have clarified that my current level of satisfaction was 20% tops.  :blind: After posting, the more I looked at it, the more I hated it, especially her left arm and the legs in general. This is far, far from done.

@Lachie Dazdarian : Does the face look any more clear from when you last commented? Also, thanks again for suggesting fingerless gloves!

@PypeBros: I was just messing around with the outfit in those frames. Ultimately I feel that while it may look better, the way it was flowing implied lighter fabric than what I imagine the jersey-dress would be made of. The hat... well, it's kind of a weird combo between a beerbox hat and a standard baseball cap, but your point still stands. And those jagged lines looked pretty awful. I hope it's not as bad.

@Grimsane: Ugh, I don't know what came over me. I'm going through the world backwards. I start off with clear sectioning off of the limbs while blocking out, and then when it comes to fully rendering, I end up with tree stumps.

Another edit. Toned down the hair, made the jersey-dress conform more to her shape (without being too tight), simplified the legs and shaded them better to give them more depth, worked some more on her right hand, including hinting that she actually has elbows, erased and am in process of starting her left over in a different position completely, and lightened her "base" skintone to provide more contrast that would make the face easier to read. I fear that her left limbs are too dark, now... almost dark enough to pass for the pantyhose of the character she's parodying.

----

As I said before, I do want to work on something else, and over the weekend I did start on a new sprite. Another Xenogears reference (last one, too, I swear!), this time a reference to this lady.

I'm not aiming for as strong as resemblance as I was with the previous character--really I'm not aiming for that at all. I'm going for a supertall (going by 1 pixel = 1 cm, she's roughly six feet) Eurasian lady with a long face and neck and pronounced facial features, dressed like a lounge singer. The blue line indicates where her chest would roughly be if I was following standard proportions versus what I actually did.

Beyond the terrible hands, I'm concerned about the colors I've picked for her skin, and I am afraid she won't match at all with the other character in terms of style. But hey, at least she has elbows!  ;D

She's not actually going to be posed like this;this is merely a template of sorts to keep on hand when I get to her actual pose.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 02:57:47 pm
Well, just by looking at her, I want to punch her in the face, same as every other "gangsta" I've met. So I guess you're doing an accurate job. XD
I like the art, though! And I'm assuming her stance is a moving one, like she'll be dancing back and forth, so it looks good to me. The jewelry looks fine to me! A little weird, but it's a fighting game, right? Will it shoot lasers out of it? X3

Indeed, a damn fun and stunning piece. I want to punch her teeth in, too. Still, incredibly funny, 100% fighting game.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 09:19:04 am
you went overboard/went too far in the hue, on the rear colours, she looks half African American :blind: (they'd be nice colours if that was the case)

interesting lady, pretty far from gangsta heh although she looks like a body builder, even bringing it in really quickly* she is still curvaceous and not entirely slender, which might be what you were intending anyway, and her neck is a bit long,

but another approach would be to widen the neck and possibly also the face so it didn't reinforce the huge body to head ratio effect, and awkward pose aside you did a pretty decent job with the arms ;D (mostly elbow joint area(even though forward facing and in a more natural but similar posture her elbows would be much more backward))

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 10:49:46 am
This sprite has come a long way, it's nice to see you being persistent with it and very accepting of critique.

The legs look like tree trunks because you are ignoring the natural taper of the limbs, in fact you're expanding them. This sometimes looks cool for monsters and such, but not for semi realistic females.

Also, some more study of leg anatomy would help. The knees especially we're primitively done. As for the back limbs, I believe your color ramp has such distinct values that it will always appear as a change in the local value of them. Instead of using different values, adjust the "ratio" of how you use them in far limbs.

hope this helps.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 01:12:20 pm
I still think there's fundamental issues with your figure.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 12:22:16 am
Shouldn't the gesturing hand's forearm be somewhat more foreshortened?

I'm not 100% sure though, it's not like I could do better.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 04:06:03 am
@Grimsane: Yeah, I was regretting posting her, and was hoping to edit her out before someone replied. I was thinking that particular dress would look best if shoulders were emphasized, but clearly I went too far. I did reduce the shoulders, but I kept her general figure. You sure had her squeezed into that outfit, by the way.  :P

Tried a couple of minor changes on the head as suggested, ultimately moving her head a pixel or two down, giving the neck more shape, and very very slightly changing her 'do to highlight the difference. I left out the choker temporarily for the same reason. I also edited her hand(s) to appear less blocky and semi-masculine. Still very much WIP.

About the neck... I do want to preserve the length, but at this scale, it does make one wonder what the line is from "lol, I bet she was called Giraffe in school" --> "Only in Burma, dude" --> "How does it not snap under the weight of her head?".

@Ryumaru
This sprite has come a long way, it's nice to see you being persistent with it and very accepting of critique.

Hey, critique is what this place is for after all. ;D

I do appreciate your edit of the legs. I did some referencing of it and other pictures of legs in order to improve it them.

@Helm
Thank you! What surprised me is that other than the head and the perspective of the front arm, that's not much different from how the sprite looks without the clothing layer. Yay for progress, I guess.

The more I compare my arm to the edit and life, the more I realized, that, like Psiweapon said, the arm's perspective is messed up. There is no foreshortening whatsoever, making it look borderline disjointed. That will be addressed when I feel like working on it again. For the head, I will have to reduce the length of her legs.. actually, I need to do that anyway. I've already made her too tall (she should only be 168 px/5'6ish minus the hat and boots), and adjusting the head with everything else as-is would make her appear even taller.

Again, haven't worked on adjusting the positioning of the head and arms yet, but that is to come.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 06:12:13 am
I've already made her too tall (she should only be 168 px/5'6ish minus the hat and boots)
Really? I get the feeling that she's really short already. I would've guessed she was 4'10"-5'2"ish, hahah!
Edit:Oh wait, no. Nevermind. The older sprites look that height. The newest one is indeed taller looking, heheh. X3

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 12:20:55 pm
Just wanted to post the penultimate product. I had posted this elsewhere a while back but found it rude not to put it here as well. When I get myself some more time, all I'm going to do is work on the boots and I'll be satisfied.  :)

And a GIF with what I managed to save of the process:

I started on animations a couple of weeks ago, but due to time restrictions, I don't have anything complete enough to get crit on yet.

I appreciate all the crit; I would never have gotten this to the point where I can look at it without thinking, "HATEHATEHATEFIXIXFIXHATEHATEHATEFIXFIXFIX" without this thread. :D