AuthorTopic: GR#103 - Girl - Sprite Process  (Read 10330 times)

Offline e4r

• View Profile

GR#103 - Girl - Sprite Process

on: June 14, 2012, 06:37:39 am

This is what I have so far, I'm sort of confused on how I should shade the hair. This is my first time making something like this. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction of how I should do it. I'm also pretty sure I shaded the face wrong as well, but I'm done looking at it tonight, my brain hurts :3

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: [WIP]Girl C&C

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:19:16 am

Cute girl.
Too tired for text.
Will return later.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 02:13:45 pm
first up nice lady you got going, PP's edit definitely helps you with a direction to take the shading, I think there are a few unappealing proportions you could improve upon, here(ontop of PP's edit):

not the only way to go, but I think the shoulders are a bit too big and the neck is a bit obscured it is possible to read it as too thin, keep going  :y:

ed: well mine may have pulled the arm in a tad too much, but illustrates my suggestion
ed II: also after staring at it awhile I think the upper arm in my edit might be a tad too short so another minor tweak. hopefully helpful, even if just illustrating what subtle changes can do to anatomy in pixelart
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:33:56 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 03:45:54 pm
Yay, an excuse to draw a scantily clad anime girl!

edit: that jaw line badly needs some AA!

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 06:17:22 pm
With every specular highlight added, the importance of that highlight diminishes.
I feel like we've lost sight of what's actually going on under the shiny bikinis and overexposed hair.

Here's another edit:

I took some liberties with the hair, just because that's how I usually do it, and couldn't stop myself in time to work more within what I think you were going for. Still, all it involves is finding a flow. I'd start with defining what direction each clump of hair is going, then find the place where they all start. Just work out from the convergence point, making sure all of the hair is flowing well, and you've got a nice head of hair. How you shade and highlight it really depends on the style and setting.

I wouldn't define any muscle with an outline, unless you're drawing a bodybuilder. Especially on a woman.

Make sure that you're compensating for the entire head under the hair. Most of the time it's a great idea to draw the entire bald head before working on the hair.

I figure a bikini babe wouldn't be quite so pale.

I rendered it a lot more realistically than I think you were going for, but it's always good to remember what it would look like if it was rendered with a more naturalist approach.

Her nose and mouth seemed a little bit wonky. She didn't really have much of a chin, and her nose seemed uber long. Not too noticeable, but it's a good idea to mirror your work as you're going along to make sure nothing is skewed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:19:41 pm by Kcilc »

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 07:13:34 pm

I took all of your edits into consideration, especially on the hair because I loved the different array of colors used, I was going to do some AA on the chin, but then i realized, Idk how to AA very well, so I'm going to practice that.

Kcilc, I loved your edit a lot too, the hair looks very natural and puffy. BUt I wasn't really going for a realistic look since this is anime, but I will save yours for reference because I loved it.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 08:17:07 pm
here's a few more direct crits and solutions on what you should concentrate on

1st frame: your current piece
2nd frame: if you wanted that shoulder location and how you need to consider the flow of the arm from the collar bone. and highlighting where you should have volume in your head/hair
3rd frame: adjusting the shoulder to match your current arm angle, and reinforcing the hair volume, and also bringing the back shoulder down, and just nudging the breasts and torso so they are more proportionate to each other. be really careful with the curvature of the arm and hair, some angles are prone to jaggedness. also the rosey cheeks look fine, but using that tone for highlights elsewhere will most likely make her look unnaturally glossy (even for anime) but if applied right it can work to your advantage, but I'd recommend establishing the form and core shading first

anyway don't give up, you're making progress :)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 10:01:57 pm
The new hair looks like a metal sculpture. Regardless of style, I strongly encourage you to study Kcilc's edit further and see how he convey's depth and volume. I also suggest you take another look at PixelPiledriver's use of hue shifting and try out that technique yourself.

Quick anatomy and color edit:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:23:11 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 01:35:04 am
Alright I did another edit using more of your guys awesome critiques and suggestions, and I came up with this:

So I fixed a few proportional issues, changed the hair color a bit, and changed a few skin tones a bit.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I didn't like the way the hair was pillowed, so I tried to remove that and change the colors a bit again. And I lowered the shoulder to give more of a relaxed, not shrugging look

MOST RECENT:

Newly Recent:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:49:10 am by e4r »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 06:35:01 am
Getting there. Now I suggest working on depth -- the current shading flattens out the shape of the back of the hair.
Here's a quick edit to demonstrate:
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 02:18:27 pm
Please consider this edit

I didn't try to conserve on the palette, tell me if you think you'd like that, this image doesn't need more than 16 colors, really.
I also didn't edit it but I have to say boobs touching each other without support (and that shirt doesn't seem to provide support) are not how boobs work -- you might not care about that too much.

I like the expression, good job getting character in there.

You need to work on your human anatomy more even if you plan to abstract in an anime-ish fashion later, though.

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 01:13:21 am

Thanks helm for the awesome edit. I did like it a lot so I changed mine up a bit. I did keep the light source in the same area though because I think you changed it in your edit. I fixed some anatomy errors as well using yours are references and I tried to fix the tight shirt to make it seem more natural like yours too :D Thanks for that, I would never of thought about doing that either lol.