AuthorTopic: GR#099 - Stone Monster - Texture  (Read 16619 times)

Offline xeokk

• View Profile

GR#099 - Stone Monster - Texture

on: April 01, 2012, 12:34:43 pm
i'm working on a dino-monster-thingie sprite. his name is heavyhide:

his scales are supposed to be made of stone, but he doesn't look... rugged enough. how can i make him have a, er, stoni-er appearance? :D

Offline Dorian

• View Profile

Re: [wip] stony monster not stony enough.

Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:47:58 am
Overall the sprite is pretty awesome. Really like the style he's in as well.
As for the stonyness...Why not experiment a little? Bring the texture from the body-spikes down to more parts of his torso...Or try making his lags a bit more jagged/stiffer?
Just some ideas.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:33:19 am
Well if I'd do a rockmonster, I'd go with something segmented with lots of angular shapes.
Your design is a bit too round to convey "stone" on its own.
You might also not want to give those rocks that stick out of it a scaly texture.
Using cold colors may also help conveying stone rather than scales.

It is also a bit hard to tell where the light comes from.

Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline xeokk

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 01:44:16 pm
 thanks for the tips, guys! it really helped me realize in which direction i should be heading.

is this any better?

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:48:21 pm
Much better. This is starting to look really nice. There is some banding that can be cleared up where his chest meets the rock. Another thing is that his horns are a bit undefined as far as shape-wise. I really like where this is going. The chest reminds me of Delicious/Zack James' work :)

Offline xeokk

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:29:18 pm
thanks for the comment, slym :D i was unfamiliar with delicious' art up until now, i love it :D
all the feedback is making me feel soo so motivated, so here is v3:

i tried adding more texture without exaggerating, though i think i overdid it a bit. i also made a few slight adjustments to the overall body structure. i may have strayed too far from the original concept, though D:
i also tried fixing the banding you mentioned, but i think i only managed to make it more noticeable. help pl0x D:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:37:56 pm by xeokk »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:29:06 pm
That might be a little too much right now, but if you could just make the outer textured areas a bit less pronounced it should be good. And you might want to get some harder angles, some of the rocks look like they could be piled mud or something. Maybe even some highlights on the edges of a few to give them some sharpness. Something like that.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:00:29 am
Well the banding is much better, however it could be fixed around a bit. All you need to do is add more of that transition color to get rid of it. The texture addition is only over done by adding those body highlights. Without them it shouldn't look over done at all! You should also clean up the highlight on his two right legs.

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 05:49:59 pm
I would have tried to get some bigger rock-like structure into it rather than small details.

Like this:

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:51 am
The current scales or rock shapes are quite good, but If the monster is meant to be made of rock he needs them over all of its body, without leaving untextured parts: in this sort of creature, untextured flat surfaces can only be interpreted as smooth, thin skin, which isn't rocky at all.
The open belly segments suggests arthropod-like thin shells, which might or might not be the right impression. Does the creature have articulated rigid parts or a flexible but thick skin?

Have you considered using more colours? The light belly is ok, but the darker part of head+horns+legs+back+tail is too uniform.
In nature, turtles have a completely different appearance for back (shell scales), belly (shell plate), head + legs (five very clearly separated parts); you add a tail, which should look different from the nearby back and the legs, and horns, which should be different from the head.
In Pokémon, there is some tradition of bulky creatures with something strange on their back, and their unnatural features are clearly different from the more normal body parts. Example: Bulbasaur, with a large plant in the middle of generic smooth skin.