AuthorTopic: [WIP] 16x16 Tilesets for OpenGameArt.org  (Read 15319 times)

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] 16x16 Tilesets for OpenGameArt.org

Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 02:36:55 am
As for your latest sketch, the texture still doesn't feel quite right. It looks even more like wrinkled up paper now, or maybe tree bark. Again, I'd study the edit Surt did for you, as well as the reference photos that were posted. The textures that were posted for you have all been sharp, angular, and large/flat shapes. Everything you're posting is much bumpier/noisier/organic looking than it should be. Work with big, flat shapes, at first, then add a little texture later.
The sketch was more to get the tile layout I need. The structure is still very incomplete, it's just the basic structure, I didn't add any features yet.
Here is a little update on it:

Take a look at these pictures:
http://www.winsoftware.de/screenshots/big/grand-canyon02.jpg
http://www.geo-reisecommunity.de/bild/regular/352115/Grand-Canyon-North-Rim.jpg
Do you see the big vertical patterns on the straight faces? Those are kinda my reference. There is more to a cliff/canyon, but in tilesets you have to simplify and especially in 16x16 there isn't much place for multiple structural details.

About the flat & angular thingy: keep in mind that the structure of rock is quite depended on the forces working on them. In deserts you have quite strong winds which make the rocks more round. Maybe you should take a look at the reference image that were posted here yourself, the rocks you see there are almost all round.
::)

Also, as a few people have already mentioned, your cliffs should be around the same color as your sand, since they're made of the same material. Just changing your cliff colors to the sand colors would probably help a *lot* with making them look more like cliffs instead of trees, if you want to try that first.
Don't you think I already tried that? It simply looks way too dull. By the way the highlights of the rocks have the same color as the sand, take a look at the previous cliff tiles, it's what makes it blend that nicely together at the top.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 03:06:46 am
About the flat & angular thingy: keep in mind that the structure of rock is quite depended on the forces working on them. In deserts you have quite strong winds which make the rocks more round. Maybe you should take a look at the reference image that were posted here yourself, the rocks you see there are almost all round.
It's true that the structure of rock is very dependent on the forces working with them, so I don't know why you're using cliffs from the Grand Canyon as reference for your cliffs in the middle of the desert - they don't look like the same type of rock, and I doubt they were formed the same way. Not many rivers in the desert, after all.
And yes, you're right that the desert reference previously posted had round rocks, but they're still round in big, chunky forms, whereas yours is round in small forms, giving it the noisy look. The newest one is an improvement, but it still looks too noisy to be tough rock that was shaped by sand blowing around and such. It looks more like a dirt wall to me that's been shaped by water running down it and stuff. Again though, the color could be playing a part in that.

Again, notice that the ground and the cliffs are the same color. And notice how un-detailed the rock walls look compared to yours.
And you can't say it's impossible to make cliffs that share the same color as the ground around them; ptoing and surt did it just fine, and that's the way they look in real life. You'll have to just keep plugging away at it if you want to make it look as good as possible, hahah.  :P

I might try an edit for you tomorrow, because it's something I should be able to draw, too, heheh.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 03:45:59 am
Just skimming through the thread, I thought the last one was a tree trunk.

Looking at most of your tiles, I think you're doing everything too small..
Something I do a lot as well.. Try to use larger features, otherwise it turns out very noisy.

I also think the rocks should be around the same color, but darker. Possibly slightly warmer/saturated.