AuthorTopic: [wip] Bilou's school : Pendats goes marchin' in [c+c]  (Read 102763 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [wip] Bilou's school : owlish background [c+c]

Reply #80 on: October 12, 2012, 10:01:28 am
Thanks for the edit. The feather bib is indeed a great thing and will fit that "empty space" I've got just below the head.
I love how you de-flatened the belly area with some larger shadow space. I'm gonna try to mimmic that.

- vs - - vs -
Update. I still have to figure out how to avoid the belly to look square-ish and to fix up a few things near the eyes. Thanks for the help so far :)

Merged - Crow
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:55:06 am by PypeBros »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 01:46:13 pm
I have to say i agree with Cyangmou about the angles of the books, thats been bugging me for a while.
I also think Facet's edit looks great...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #82 on: October 14, 2012, 06:57:02 pm
I have to say i agree with Cyangmou about the angles of the books, thats been bugging me for a while.
I also think Facet's edit looks great...
You mean and , I guess ?

I think I've adressed the first one, already, and I'm on my way to provide the second one, now that I can have multiple colours for my books.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #83 on: October 24, 2012, 12:25:59 pm

update on owl and first attempt to make a "real" item for the "banner" ahead of the owl's head.
I tried to track blob-like patterns on owl's head and replace them with well-defined shapes (although they're more geometric).

Hope you like it. If noone sees blatant mistakes on that one, I think I'll now work on merging owl's top and the banner into a single entity, and then what the owl is perching on .. then call it done.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #84 on: October 24, 2012, 07:45:13 pm
I love the latest iteration of the owl. Seriously, so much improvement. I know you have some ways to go yet as it looks like you focused mostly on the head so far, but that chunkiness is a move in the right direction. I really likes the way Facet did the feet in a previous edit, very sharp angles and good use of light. Maybe try something similar.

My only advice would be to use angles more often. With a low colour pallet like the one you're using it will help to emphasise shapes as well as keep it looking cleaner/less jagged due to not needing AA. Anyway, I made an edit that while probably not fitting, might give you ideas.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: October 24, 2012, 08:18:47 pm
I like it, the banner (architrave?) too ;D

It does look quite high sat./contrast for the bg though: the original colours (way back in post #71) I thought were nice. Also noticed that he's a quite a bit bigger these last couple iterations; a good portion of the DS screen, quite a feature.

Somehow I think the addition of pupils lends quite a severe look (from part of the background to a malevolent observer :P) I suppose that's another traditional symbol of the bird, but I don't know if that's intended/desirable here?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:28:37 pm by Facet »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #86 on: October 24, 2012, 08:36:50 pm
Thanks both.

It does look quite high sat./contrast for the bg though
My intent is to move him back to the bg colours you used in your first edit. Such colours, however, are a nightmare to use for edition on the DS, so I use an intermediate -- fg-like -- palette while it is in progress.

I think the addition of pupils lends quite a severe look
I agree. That was not necessarily thought ahead, but it's a good thing to have an intimidating look for something that represents teaching in the "old school" zone. I'm trying that the pupils look to the bottom, as if that glance was focused on Bilou, and not on the player. He should not be really "malevolent", though.

@Jim16: thanks for your edit. I like the volume you brought to the eyes. The shapes you used are a bit too extreme for the desired look of the owl, but I'll definitely come back to that edit when I'll come to the mayan labyrinth zone. If time allows, I'd love to try an edit of the wings along those lines.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #87 on: October 30, 2012, 01:31:12 pm

A first attempt to render a standing book ... not very convincing, imho. It's all blobby, and not coherent with the rest in terms of perspective  :-[

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #88 on: November 01, 2012, 08:54:59 pm

I prefer this version, based on the binders.
edit: and finally, the owl background in-game.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 04:10:05 pm by PypeBros »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:08 pm

I prefer this version, based on the binders.

Much much better make the red book with the same style.