AuthorTopic: [wip] Bilou's school : Pendats goes marchin' in [c+c]  (Read 102777 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [wip] Bilou in school zone [c+c]

Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 07:41:40 am
Woodblocks to shelves makes a lot of sense.
I like how you brought volume to that. I'll try to mime it.

For more interest with a close-up bg I like Hugh's previous blackboard suggestion; it's pretty flexible (you could use primitive chalk drawings as the scenery or little in-jokes or whatever)  and I reckon you could get a nice chalk effect with a little tlc. I updated the example in my previous post.
Yeah, that gives good. I think mixing chalkboard and more conventional wood could provide the type of background I'm after.

Going for a full classroom in perspective might end up quite busy but if that's the way you want to go why not post up your attempts?
These are a bit scattered and weren't all digitized nor present on this laptop. I'll look after and post them. There will definitely be some level with open space, but then that will be more mario-like levels, horizontally designed and with fewer "climbing/exploring" aspects. Backgrounds on this comic page can give you an overview of one possible approach.

--

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #51 on: May 19, 2012, 09:53:02 am
one of those attempts, mere scan of the lineart. and what it gives when trying to convert it into the colour set that would fit a background (still no pixel art at this level).

(ps: sorry: haven't got time to implement all the nice ideas you guys proposed. Not yet. baby sitting in-between)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:14:04 am by PypeBros »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 10:55:48 am
Hi again. I'm not yet convinced by my "inkpot" monster. I tried an alternate approach which seems interesting, but not yet satisfying either:

Looks like some life drawing is getting impossible to avoid ...

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 07:10:06 pm
Yeah, sprite AA to an uncertain BG is a strange choice, particularly considering the absence of much AA elsewhere. Perhaps try something simpler, without interior transparency. Animating the ink sloshing about has the potential to be pretty fun ;D.

The classroom BG lineart is rather charming, If you keep a small colour range and minimal rendering in the final I think that'd look great. For some reason I had it in my head that you wanted to do a full projection the length of a classroom with rows of desks but this a nice solution. On the subject; I was reading a blog post the other day relating pictorial depth and comedic cues that resonated with me, perhaps you'll find it interesting.

Cute Comic :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:23:10 pm by Facet »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 11:03:39 am
I was reading a blog post the other day relating pictorial depth and comedic cues that resonated with me, perhaps you'll find it interesting.
Interesting. That' suggests I should keep the "books church" background as scenery for boss fights...

Yeah, sprite AA to an uncertain BG is a strange choice, particularly considering the absence of much AA elsewhere. Perhaps try something simpler, without interior transparency. Animating the ink sloshing about has the potential to be pretty fun ;D.

Gotta try that ^_^
And yeah, inkjet will have its ink wobbling inside before spitting droplets ... I hope people will enjoy the animation.

For some reason I had it in my head that you wanted to do a full projection the length of a classroom with rows of desks but this a nice solution.
That was the idea ~10 years ago, but since then, I realised that it wasn't necessary to have a school-typical arrangement. Instead, furnitures are like mountains and hills, small supplies are the inhabittants and their fossilised ancestors are used as construction blocks ... after all, isn't the "living" knowledge built on layers of past knowledge ;)

Cute Comic :)
Thanks.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #55 on: June 02, 2012, 05:54:15 am
= (waiting for boards to resume their pixel-friendly background)

any better ? Looks like the white outline definitely doesn't work, imho.
I'd have been for the middle one, but according to my fairy, obscuring too much the ink with speculars give the feeling that it's now "a monster in a bottle" and no more a "bottle-monster"

@facet: I spot two regions of "lighter ink", somehow peanut-shaped at left and right of your re-interpretation, but I fail to understand the reason you did that. What was the rationale ?

PS: droplets on the right are not yet "reassembled", please ignore them for the moment.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:54:51 am by PypeBros »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 12:28:34 pm

new evolution: "lineart" gone. I think this one is ready for animation ... Do you feel the same ?

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Bilou's school + dumblador + inkjet [c+c]

Reply #57 on: June 02, 2012, 06:25:39 pm
Looks great to me, those speculars really pop ;D. The peanuts in my edit were supposed to be reflections on the glass for a little more volume, I really should have made them somewhat lighter/more saturated but I just took the palette straight from your original.

Black eyebrows might get confused easily with the ink but they do look really nice.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 01:16:18 am
I know that this isn't really helpful, but this is the only thread I've been following for the past few weeks. I am way too jealous of the creativity of this project :)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 07:33:27 am
this is the only thread I've been following for the past few weeks. I am way too jealous of the creativity of this project
Thank you, slym. That's warm to my heart.

Many of those funny characters come from an old brainstorm with friends, but I indeed value creativity above many other aspects of video game creation. I'm doing my best to keep coming with original ideas for the remaining 5 "zones" of the complete adventure.

Watching some deviant artists has now become part of my "daily routine", and whenever I find something appealing, I try to "twist" it into my little world. Sometimes, it stays dormant for monthes before it turns into "a Bilou idea" :P
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:09:47 am by PypeBros »