AuthorTopic: [wip] Bilou's school : Pendats goes marchin' in [c+c]  (Read 102798 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [wip] Bilou in school zone [c+c]

Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:51 pm

Reverted to the old wood tiles, but updated the colors, since all the graphists who voted say wood #4 was best, and all player-to-be claimed they prefer something colourful.

Colors picked from real-world picture and then mapped to the closest NDS colour (5 bit/channel) if that's of any vaule for anybody. This version also shows updated colours for binder and a random part of the book, just for reference when building the mock-up.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 12:23:01 pm
Use both the bright and dark variations of wood for added variety, IMO.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 12:44:55 pm
Use both the bright and dark variations of wood for added variety, IMO.
That's a good idea. I'll find a way to do that.

Offline mattib

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 11:30:24 am
Good idea to recreate a "bookshelf" stage! Don't know why, this kind of stages were a common trope in old school games. I liked them very much, expecially in Castle of Illusion

and World of Illusion (one of my favourite games ever)

I think that much of their charm was given by the warm and cozy feeling they had. As a kid I wanted them to last a lot because they were so relaxing. So I'd choice warm colors, a but little bit dark and desaturated.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:02:15 pm by mattib »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 12:17:03 pm
aha. I wasn't aware of a library level in the "Illusion" series... not that it's surprising from Disney. Thanks for the references. I must admit that wallpaper is an interesting alternative to wood for the background... and the carved wood also brings in variety against a plain wood texture. That gives more the feeling that the books belong to a cosy London Gentlemen Club than to a secondary school, but I'm sure I could find a way to make it fit the place ...

Offline mattib

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 12:27:29 pm
:D Yes, they have a more adult setting, but they are filled with school-stuff monsters and traps. You should play (or watch on youtube) those levels, 'cause they are really cool.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:08 pm
Yeah, schools typically have light and plain walls, and often times windows too.  EDIT: And various posters and other hangings on the wall.

I would personally make the background a chalkboard to heavily emphasize the middle school theme while still having a dark background, which would allow you to have various writings and equations to break up empty space.  That is just me though, I may also recommend light, greyish plaster walls and "giant" (relative to your character) windows/posters/hangings.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:31:28 pm by KittenMaster »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 04:03:21 pm
I would personally make the background a chalkboard to heavily emphasize the middle school theme while still having a dark background, which would allow you to have various writings and equations to break up empty space.  That is just me though, I may also recommend light, greyish plaster walls and "giant" (relative to your character) windows/posters/hangings.
I have plans for a few levels in the school zone, at different places of the school. The giant classroom is one of them - and there will clearly be a giant chalkboard far in the background. Then, there will be the "ink temple" where Bilou learns that he's the long announced "hero" who must save the planet. But first, he must bring back Booklet to the Library and have a talk with Pr. Harraps. So says the scenario. At last, there is the escape from Pendats jail and epic fight against SqRt, the math book.
I want the library to be globally a dark and dusty place, hence placing the camera facing the wall (or the back of the furniture that holds the books ... but yeah, these could be just wall-mounted shelves, actually.

You should play (or watch on youtube) those levels, 'cause they are really cool.
I may have found a fair quality gameplay video on youtube. That will be for tonight. If you have the ability to do screenshots of the level yourself, I'm very interested by the glass flask just nexto the books in the CoI screenshot, as I lack a proper reference for pixelarting "inkjet" monsters. (unfortunately, it looks like there's only low-quality JPGs around on the Web)

Offline mattib

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 04:18:16 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERYpV7ZaEQ&feature=related
at 00:26 you can see them.
But as you noted the graphics on the second chapter are better, that stage in World Of Illusion starts with the character popping out a little fishbowl (where the undewater stage ended, very cool transition) and I'm pretty sure there are other glass objects

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 09:40:12 am

Experimenting with an alternate background, where the school become a huge city made of books.
(well, BG is still very sketchy, but if you've got comment about it so far, you're welcome anyway).

I plan to have more varied book covers in future updates  ... maybe something like this
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:07:46 pm by PypeBros »